Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ambassador
State: Arizona
THOR #765
Talking Hey everyone!!!

We are new to the rv world. We just purchased a 1993 Thor Ambassador. We would love to hear from anyone who has or had this model. Also any tips you can give us newbs. We will be traveling across the country in june. Have a Great day!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Welcome to the forum! My first tip is take a few short trips prior to a long one to work out the bugs
Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Welcome aboard, and enjoy that new to you RV!
Janet gave you a pretty good tip. You might even consider camping out in the driveway a few times to help get the feel of how everything works before you take off.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:57 AM   #4

THOR #765
Thanks!

That's exactly what we were going to do. We were going to take a short trip to familiarize ourselves with the new rig and also talked about camping out in it a few nights just at the house to get used to sleeping in it so that we didn't feel out of place and awkward when we do take our big trip. we figured it would be good for our son so it didn't feel strange and scary for him. We can't wait. we are picking it up sunday and the days just are not moving fast enough.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #5

THOR #765
Btw, when I say we are newbs. I mean it in every sense of the word. i am handy and mechanically inclined so that helps alot. There will be a learning curve though... lots of new stuff to learn. even the simple stuff like water and sewage and generators. I kind of want to boondock it also before we go on our trip just so I have to rely on only the rv and not other hookups and such. We are so very excited and a bit scared of the unknown. All in all, though we appreciate being challenged to learn more. A year from now I bet we look back and think well that wasn't so bad now was it.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:04 AM   #6

THOR #765
Lloyd we are actually heading your direction. I grew up in Wisconsin and that will be our first major destination. Northern Wisconsin. Superior/Duluth area
Old 04-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
Lloyd we are actually heading your direction. I grew up in Wisconsin and that will be our first major destination. Northern Wisconsin. Superior/Duluth area

We try to get up to Ashland every year. Use to be up there just about every week end. Kreher Park next to the ore docks.

If you spend some time in it at home before heading out, that will help you figure out what all you need yet. Plus you will get to see if everything works. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #8

THOR #765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
We try to get up to Ashland every year. Use to be up there just about every week end. Kreher Park next to the ore docks.

If you spend some time in it at home before heading out, that will help you figure out what all you need yet. Plus you will get to see if everything works. Good luck.

I'm very familiar with Ashland. I had friends over there. I've done construction over on Madeline island also. Beautiful area. Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I will be back here often trying to learn.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
If you are getting it from a dealer get a thorough pdi. Videotape the pdi. Make sure they show you everything and you repeat the demo. If it opens, closes, turns on or off, moves etc you want to demo and return demo it (this includes doors, cabinets, drawers etc). Run every system including heat and AC. Make sure it warms up and cools down in the rig. Double check carefully for any signs of leaks and at that age carefully check your tires for signs of wear/cracking and for date age etc. Don't hand over money until this is done to your satisfaction. Also have them show you winterizing and dewinterizing processes.

If picking up from private seller, have them show you how to work/run everything. Again video this for a later date. The above list applies to private seller but may be limited by what facilities they have available to hook up/plug into.

Make sure you get a water pressure regulator, good sewer hose (25-50 ft worth), white fresh water hose (I carry two 25 ft hoses for those far away spickets), a splitter to plug 2 hoses into. this is the top of the iceberg. A surge protector is recommended by many but is very expensive. Look into the geo method for maintaining your black tank and remember to always keep at least a couple gallons of water in your black tank to avoid the dreaded stone mountain from forming. Do not leave your black tank open when at full hook up, empty tank when 2/3 full (or at least add water to the tank before dumping it ) the list goes on but this will get you started.
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #10

Model: Tuscany 40GQ
State: South Dakota
THOR #619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
We are new to the rv world. We just purchased a 1993 Thor Ambassador. We would love to hear from anyone who has or had this model. Also any tips you can give us newbs. We will be traveling across the country in june. Have a Great day!
Congratulation on your new coach and welcome to the RVing community!
FMCA 423222 - Thor Diesel Club
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #11

THOR #765
Well everything works great except I didn't have time to try out the holding tanks or the propane equipment this weekend. I put the fridge on ac to see if that works. otherwise its a propane fridge so I'm not sure if it will cool or not. I will find out tonight. Water and electricity work great. air cond. work great. drives amazing. engine sound. ran the generator for a few hours and had no trouble. so far so good. next the propane equipment.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Good deal!!
So far, so good. Hope everything checks out for you.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 AM   #13

THOR #765
The fridge got cold on ac. This weekend I'm going to check all the propane equip. crossed fingers... so far so good
Old 04-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
I would say---it looks like you are on a roll.