Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #10901
Hello from Kingman AZ

I am in the process of buying a 2016 Thor Compass and was wondering if anybody has any input of problems or things I should be looking for.

This Compass has 36,000 miles on it buts looks very nice and clean.

Thank you for your time and input.

SSGCharlie

Old 03-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the Forum! You asked a super broad question, which is hard to answer without writing a book. Fortunately for you, one of our esteemed forum members, Ed Felker, constructed an excellent crowd-sourced manual for the Vegas/Axis coaches. In it, you will find a lot of useful information and checklists:
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L

BTW, as with used cars, some dealers detail and inspect coaches they take on trade. Some just put them on the lot as is. It is always buyer beware. Sales people might say anything to get you to buy from their inventory. A lot of buyers prefer to buy lightly used RVs, assuming that the initial problems are worked out. Your results will vary.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:17 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
SSGCharlie - Mr Sunshine hit it right on the head. Get the VIN and perhaps the former owner(s) contact info. Lookup the VIN on line, contact former owners and quiz them. Get Ed's book. The 36,000 miles is high, we have 38k+ on ours and it has been well cared for. Find out the service record as best you can.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:49 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGCharlie View Post
I am in the process of buying a 2016 Thor Compass and was wondering if anybody has any input of problems or things I should be looking for.

This Compass has 36,000 miles on it buts looks very nice and clean.

Thank you for your time and input.

SSGCharlie
Welcome to the Forum. What chassis do you have, Ford or Mercedes? We have a 2017 Gemini 23TR, which is identical to the Compass. It seems like they have been doing improvements on the Gemini and Compass models each year. Hopefully all the standard issues have been fixed. We have had some issues during warranty period, nothing that would have stopped us from enjoying the RV except for the time it sat at the dealers waiting for it's turn in the repair bay. We have 10,000 miles on ours and really enjoy it. The Ford diesel does a very good job and you can expect 15-16 mpg. This of course is just our opinion and not a recommendation of a particular unit. Good luck
Old 03-07-2018, 03:54 AM   #5

State: Arizona
THOR #10901
Thanks for the reply's. This is a ford.

SSGCharlie
Old 03-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor Gemini 23TB
State: Mississippi
THOR #8205
Hi there, just noticed that you are looking at a 2016 Compass! If you have not already purchased look at my post at Mtiger. My wife recently had double bypass surgery and we are not going to be traveling like we thought. I am looking to sell our 2017 Thor Gemini 23tb with 2,434 miles. If you are interested contact me on the board or call 731-267-7532 and I can give you all the info.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We're glad that you found us, and the best of luck with the purchasing of the rig!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote