Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
Hello from Maryland

Good Morning All,
My wife and I are purchasing a Thor Challenger 35HT which we will be picking up next Saturday. Glad to find this site. If anyone who has a 35HT, or any other Challenger, has any tips on specific things we should look for during the PDI please let me know.

Thanks,
Randy

2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben View Post
Good Morning All,
My wife and I are purchasing a Thor Challenger 35HT which we will be picking up next Saturday. Glad to find this site. If anyone who has a 35HT, or any other Challenger, has any tips on specific things we should look for during the PDI please let me know.

Thanks,
Randy
Randy

Welcome. I took delivery of my Challenger 37ND the beginning of February.

Aside from the normal fit and finish:

Have the dealer explain the waste tank configuration. Neither my dealer, nor the Thor regional sales rep could explain what fixtures were plumbed into my 2 gray and 1 black water tanks. I had to do some testing during de winterization to get the final answer which was verified after I asked Thor for the waste system layout.

Check to make sure the bulb seal is installed on the inside of all slides. During my shakedown cruise I had a slide motor came unplugged because the build seal, which also serves as a wire chase was missing. I am still waiting for the reimbursement from Thor for the mobile service call.

Check the kiddie website for their latest fire extinguisher recall notice. Take that to the PDI with you and verify that the extinguisher in the coach is not under the recall. Mine was and since Thor has not yet determined how to handle the issue I had to deal with Kiddie.

Have your dealer install a good set of valve extenders on the rear inside duals. The extenders should be the steel braided type and should be secured to the outside wheels. This will save having top crawl under the coach to check the inner tire pressures.

Pull out (off their tracks) all drawers and have the dealer's prep folks use a shop vac. You will be surprised at the amount of loose hardware and sawdust that will be present. While the drawers are out check to make sure all hoses and electrical wires are secure.

Run water into the kitchen sink and let it set while checking the rest of the coach then verify the sink drain is not leaking into the cabinet below. My drain connections were loose at the sink.

Take a DVD to the PDI and make sure that all TVs and the DVD are correctly wired to the splitter. Thor had wired my DVD to the output side of the splitter and wired 2 of 3 televisions to the input side.

All in all I was happy with the condition of my coach when I took delivery. Aside from the slide motor and valve extenders I have handled all issues myself. The valve extenders and vent covers I had the dealer install were a condition of sale prior to me signing the contract. It so happens that Thor sent me the incorrect build seal so I need to call them today and have them send the correct seal.

BTW, you are not that far from my neck of the woods. I am just south of Richmond.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35HT
State: Maryland
THOR #1875
Thanks for the info Dave. Yes, that is pretty close. I was actually born and raised in Eastern Henrico County outside of Richmond.
2015 Thor Challenger 35HT
jrben is offline   Reply With Quote