Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2017, 02:25 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #6632
Hello From Michigan

Hello everyone. A newbie here. I guess not even a newbie yet because I am still looking. Currently, I have a 30 ft trailer and use a VW to tow. I have camped extensively in Michigan but I wanted to get a motor-home to extend my camping range. Gotta get that quality time in with my daughter before she goes off to college. I am looking to buy either used 2015 Axis 24.1 or new 2017 Axis 24.1 I am leaning toward the used one mainly for price. But if E450 chassis of 2017 is smoother riding than E350 of 2015, I might pull the trigger on the new one. Was looking into Sprinter based units but just can't afford it yet.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:59 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37 RB
State: Texas
THOR #6464
Welcome to the forum. Gypsy and I started with a Chateau class C.

We upgraded to a class A ACE 29.4. We like the added room. Take a look at the ACE as it uses a chasis built for class A. We looked at the axis and liked the layout of the ACE.
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Lone-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:11 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
Hello everyone. A newbie here. I guess not even a newbie yet because I am still looking. Currently, I have a 30 ft trailer and use a VW to tow. I have camped extensively in Michigan but I wanted to get a motor-home to extend my camping range. Gotta get that quality time in with my daughter before she goes off to college. I am looking to buy either used 2015 Axis 24.1 or new 2017 Axis 24.1 I am leaning toward the used one mainly for price. But if E450 chassis of 2017 is smoother riding than E350 of 2015, I might pull the trigger on the new one. Was looking into Sprinter based units but just can't afford it yet.
Personally, I think the E450 and corresponding upgraded transmission would be worth the extra money. You might even find a used 2016 that would have it. Your comment about the Sprinter chassis sounded like my initial thoughts when looking. I was dead set on the Mercedes because of the diesel power. We test drove the Winnebago View on the Sprinter and were very impressed with the 15 mpg. Problem was that I didn't like the ride, didn't like the wind buffering noise that was probably caused by the overhead sleeper set up. That, along with the fact that it was our first RV and the $30-40k extra cost steered us to test drive the 24.1 Axis. The ride was considerably smoother and the price was a bit easier on our decision. One year later, still pretty happy with the decision on buying the 24.1. By the way, my local RV service shop sells a complete suspension kit for the Sprinter to make it ride better. Even though I have had a Saf-T-Plus installed on the 24.1, for the price of the Winnebago View, I would have been very ticked off to have the suspension rebuilt on top of the cost of buying it. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

THOR #6632
Thanks Axle.. I was partial to diesel because I currently have VW Touareg 5L V10 diesel and loved its pulling power. When I set the cruise control at 75 and pull my 30 ft trailer, it would not downshift at all for entire trip. Granted that Michigan is relatively flat but western and northern half can be quite hilly. I had Tundra 5.8 L pickup to pull the trailer before. More than anything, I hated rough ride and having to gas up every two hours. I think even if something cost a lot of money, it is a bargain if you use it a lot. RVs are expensive so I wanted to make sure I get my money's worth. For me to do that, it has to be easy to drive and use.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Before our 24.1 we had an F-350 and a 5er. The Axis rides so much smoother than the F-350. Of course this makes sense: The truck (and your Tundra, and to a lesser extent the Toureg) are built to haul a bunch of extra weight so the suspensions are sprung as such.

Now the E-350 and E-450 are also built to haul a bunch of extra weight, but that extra weight is already on there in the form of a motorhome (on our 24.1 we only have about 1,000 lbs to spare over GVWR). Thus the ride is much better as the "stiff" springs are bearing the weight they were designed to do (not a lot less).

I also have to agree that you're better off finding an E-450 chassis based Axis (or Vegas).

Another benefit of getting an Axis or Vegas: You can go download Ed's crowd sourced owner's manual and know everything (including things you didn't want to know!) about it: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

What part of Michigan are you in?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

THOR #6632
Lone star. I am also checking out F53 based Winnebago Vista 26HE. We need 3 distinctive sleeping area that does not have to be prepared every night. But I found F53 based RVs to be frankly very intimidating at least for driving because of its width and height. Since I am the only one driving, I was looking for a RV with that is easy to drive and maneuver. I am sure I would eventually get used to it and regret not getting a bigger tall RV.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
State: Washington
THOR #3051
I bought the 2016 Vegas 24.1. I has the 6 speed and is narrower and shorter than the F53 based RV. This is my first RV and the size is the reason for my choice. Get the front end alignment done ASAP after purchase....
Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #8

THOR #6632
JamieGeek,
We live in Northville about 20 min east of Ann Arbor. I worked every single weekend last summer and didn’t get to go camping at all.So I want to make it up to the family by getting an easy driving small class A to go camping this year.
As I mentioned before, this is a lot of money but I guess if I use it frequently, it is totally worth it. I figure more van like the RV is in size and driving characteristic, I would use it more. I would not be getting this if I planned to use it 4-5 times per year like I did with the trailer.I figure I would take it out to metro parks and hang out all day there on weekends.I think I would stay longer at the part if I have someplace to relax and rest.I would also take it to Birch Run outlet mall and have the Mrs. shop while I chill in RV.Have you used it in any non-conventional way?More uses I can come up with, easier sell it will be with the Mrs. when it comes to the cost.
I understand what you mean with RV driving better when loaded. I would love to get the one with E450 chassis but that I Extra $13,000 pushes us over the target monthly payment.
Where do you live?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I drive by Northville daily (my commute takes me from Plymouth/Canton to Farmington Hills and back).

I also try to use the Axis as much as possible. So far we've used it to tailgate two of my son's baseball doubleheaders, we've used it as a "bus" to haul around people, and we've used it for long distance drives (there is a forum topic of that very question: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28...home-4243.html ).

When going to Birch Run we usually make a weekend of it and stay at either Pine Ridge, or the Yogi Bear campground in Frankenmuth both make for a fun weekend away that isn't too far.

One year we packed up the family and drove to FL in a 2012 Focus (yeah it was an interesting drive). The next year, after we picked up the Axis, we did the same trip in the RV--a much better experience for everyone involved! (Both trips were for winter break--don't think you can only use it in Spring/Summer/Fall.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #10

THOR #6632
RV parking in Chicago

JamieGeek

Have you taken your 24.1 to Chicago? I found this Camp Chicago - The Ultimate Downtown RV Camping

They parked in convention center rig marshaling yard for $30 per night!!! That is half the price I paid for car parking in Chicago. I don't dare to go to Chicago during the summer because of high hotel price.