Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Montana
THOR #9290
Hello from MT, 2018 Axis 24.1

Barely 2 weeks old (for us) and we put 2,700 miles on it from MT-OK and back. This forum (and Ed's manual) was instrumental on the purchase decision and continues to help. I meant to do a day-by-day write-up as we went, but that didn't happen so I'll post some of our thoughts from the trip now.

It's our first coach so everything driving-wise is new, but we're not new to RV's. Our Axis pulls to the right a bit too much, and has the standard looseness in steering. I didn't notice during test drive - excitement got me I suppose. A call to Ford suggests an alignment cost is on me...will research further. The stability in the winds of KS was to be expected in a small class A. Wind noise was loud, but on calm days, traveling at just about 69mph was quite bearable. We loved seeing the early fall countryside through that big window.

Shakedown notes and upcoming warranty work:
Fridge stopped working off elec (shore/gen) and only worked of LP. The outlet on the back produces power so it's suspected to be something with the fridge.

The bathroom GFCI is tripped and won't reset. All connected outlets obviously INOP.

Coach AC seems to work fine, but the flow from all left side vents is very weak compared to the right side vents. There was some popping noise one day from the AC that will need further investigating too.

Dash/Chassis AC INOP - this was especially frustrating as temps in OK were 90+. *I take blame for not being thorough enough on the PDI. When we selected AC on with Snowflake button the air was cold...but it was a cold day and I was duped into thinking that it worked. Should have listened for the compressor to turn on...which it does not. UGH. I'm getting the impression that I will get to wade through the blame game on who needs to fix this problem (Ford/Thor).

The dash AC was the worst of the bunch, but cooler temps in all but Oklahoma made it something we weren't going to stop for. That's it for now, thank you to all members posting helpful info. I hope to add to the discussion.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry that your punch-list is so long, but glad to hear that you've got a good grip on it.
Welcome aboard!!
We're all waiting to see the next Chapter of your story.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome and thanks for sharing! Hope your warranty repairs go smoothly.

Ford claims that their chassis is in alignment when delivered to Thor, but all the weight that Thor adds almost always screws up the alignment. You'll need to find a shop that aligns trucks, such as a Goodyear Commercial shop. Most of us have paid for that ourselves. It's frustrating that Thor or the dealer won't cover that, but it is a worthwhile expense.

And yes, that panoramic windshield is awesome. Just be sure to allow plenty of room behind that vehicle you are following, to keep flying rocks away.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:56 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Congrats on your new Axis!
With regards to the dash air, we had a similar problem not realizing it wasn’t cooling while doing our PDI in January! Turned out it had no refrigerant and was an easy fix! I have heard of several others coming from Thor with the same problem so might be worth checking first!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:51 AM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Re your dash a/c .. while trouble shooting...check your dials..pull them off and make sure the piece which slides onto the control has not broken. Last summer we experienced no cold air coming from our a/c...pulled the plastic dial and the inside 'post' was in 3 pieces. We super glued it back together and repaired the other dials and have not had any problems since.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:05 AM   #6

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Yes, Montana... pay for the alignment and I would also suggest installing the Saf-T-Plus stabilizer at the same time.... get the vehicle weighed so you know how much air pressure to keep in the front and rear tires.... Our 24.1 suggested 80 in the front and 65 in the rear, but I usually have 70 in the rear. Get this done and you will be much happier with the driving experience which is darn important when driving your RV long distances.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #7

Model: Axis RUV 24.1
State: New York
THOR #9288
Hello from MT

Hi AlphaMax, thanks for your comments on your shake down with your new Axis.
You opened my eyes a bit so when we take delivery of our Axis 24.1 18 we will have some points to be sure to look at.
When we do our walk through we have decided to take our time in doing it. As a matter of fact I think I will film it for my on records and additionally I'll do the same when they do their show and tell demo on how to do thais , how to use that and whatever else that will be needed to be seen and explained. I have finished Ed's book and have copied it for use when we go and pay the piper for this coming home!
I'll close now by wishing you safe road and trouble are travels.
K9Piper
Old 09-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
K9Piper: Make sure you grab a copy of Ed's manual for the Axis/Vegas units. There is a pretty decent checklist in there for PDI:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #9

State: Montana
THOR #9290
Great points all. It's cooler here in MT now, so the dash AC isn't much of an issue. I'll let the dealer look it over good at our scheduled appointment, but also mention lack of refrigerant as a possibility.

Here's another question: this is pretty subjective, but...the furnace sure puts out a good "hum" when blowing heat. Our 10 year old travel trailer wasn't quite that loud. Would you all say yours is a quiet furnace or does it "hum"?