Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #1454
New to the Thor forum

Hello all; I'm a new member in the forum. We just purchased a 2015 Thor Miramar 34.0. It is our first RV and although excited about the future road trips, I must say I am not favorably impressed with the quality control aspects of the Thor factory or the quality of problem solving and workmanship at the Camping World in New Braunfels, Texas.

I'm fairly confident that we will eventually get the bugs worked out, but the process so far has been considerably less than I had expected for the money invested. So much for "great expectations".

I was surfing the forum just before I registered, and many of little problems we have been experiencing seem to fit a pattern. We took delivery of our RV on 31DEC14, and it has been in the dealership for 14 of last 18 days. We are taking it back tomorrow for more warranty work.

I'm looking forward to learning from the forum members as we begin our new adventures. I have already learned where the cut off valve for the ice maker may be. Getting water to the ice maker was one of our first problems. In the repair process for the ice maker, they managed to render the drawer under the sink almost inoperable. I don't understand how the repair man did not know the drawer was broken in the process. The drawer was not broken when we took it in for the ice maker problem.

Enough ranting for the introduction to the forum. I'm ready to ride.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Welcome and enjoy
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 AM   #3

Model: Miramar bath & 1/2
State: New Mexico
THOR #1366
Send a message via AIM to Larry Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Larry Mac
New to Forum

Hello,

I'm also new and like you I was stunned to see so many complaints for Thor. I purchased a Miramar and my wife is handicapped and we had to install a Burr Lift it's electric not Hydraulic and the dealer La Mesa RV in Albuquerque did an excellent job.

My problem has been the baggage doors they won't lock and a couple locked but would not open so I got Thor to send me two new locks because I had to drill a hole in them to find out how to pick them open. I did a little investigating on those lock and there is very little grease on the latch. there was no loctite used on the screws to hold the latch so a little vibration and the lock latch falls off inside the lock.

I also had the entrance door open in traffic it has opened several times, I'm still working on that I been busy with the 13 baggage doors.For now I use a bungee cord on the door after I get in so it won't swing open in traffic and hit something.

One of best thing I ever did was purchase some "How to" videos from Mark Polk RV's 101 I sure had a lot of aw moments watching those. There sure a lot of angry people mad at Thor but, maybe we can help each other by asking questions. And telling others how we fixed a particular problem.

Thanks,

Larry Mac,
Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 AM   #4

THOR #1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Hello,

I'm also new and like you I was stunned to see so many complaints for Thor. I purchased a Miramar and my wife is handicapped and we had to install a Burr Lift it's electric not Hydraulic and the dealer La Mesa RV in Albuquerque did an excellent job.

My problem has been the baggage doors they won't lock and a couple locked but would not open so I got Thor to send me two new locks because I had to drill a hole in them to find out how to pick them open. I did a little investigating on those lock and there is very little grease on the latch. there was no loctite used on the screws to hold the latch so a little vibration and the lock latch falls off inside the lock.

I also had the entrance door open in traffic it has opened several times, I'm still working on that I been busy with the 13 baggage doors.For now I use a bungee cord on the door after I get in so it won't swing open in traffic and hit something.

One of best thing I ever did was purchase some "How to" videos from Mark Polk RV's 101 I sure had a lot of aw moments watching those. There sure a lot of angry people mad at Thor but, maybe we can help each other by asking questions. And telling others how we fixed a particular problem.

Thanks,

Larry Mac,
Larry Mac, I had the same thing happen with one of our cargo doors. I will do some more investigating on all the locks and perhaps do a little PM on them. On our entrance door was very had to open and close when we took delivery on 31JAN15. We took it back to CW in New Braunfels 04JAN15, and their solution was to take an angle grinder and grind off some of door latch receiver. We took it back to CW again today for some new problems and to re-address a black water dump issue. Apparently, the device that you push and pull to open the pipe, I don't know what it's called, is leaking pretty good. When the cap is removed, the water gushes out......not a trickle, but it gushes out. I'm new this game, but I don't think that's right. We have owned the RV for 20 days, and it's been back at the dealer service department for 14 of those days. I'm sure hoping it gets better.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #5

THOR #1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaj View Post
Larry Mac, I had the same thing happen with one of our cargo doors. I will do some more investigating on all the locks and perhaps do a little PM on them. On our entrance door was very had to open and close when we took delivery on 31JAN15. We took it back to CW in New Braunfels 04JAN15, and their solution was to take an angle grinder and grind off some of door latch receiver. We took it back to CW again today for some new problems and to re-address a black water dump issue. Apparently, the device that you push and pull to open the pipe, I don't know what it's called, is leaking pretty good. When the cap is removed, the water gushes out......not a trickle, but it gushes out. I'm new this game, but I don't think that's right. We have owned the RV for 20 days, and it's been back at the dealer service department for 14 of those days. I'm sure hoping it gets better.
And as an afterthought; I have not purchased any of the Mark Polk videos yet, but I have been getting his newsletter for over a year now. They are full of valuable info. I'm thinking the videos may be a good idea.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:00 AM   #6

THOR #1366
Hello,

Yes, the Polk Newsletter is good and has been very helpful. Sometimes he has the videos on sale or provides a bunch at a reduced price. They are very good. I looked on the Internet for about a year I went to an RV show but, They were really squirrely on prices.........when I asked how much a unit was they asked me how much I had? I contacted MHS out of Alvarado Texas and when he gave me the prices I was floored I almost bought a used Challenger. he said I could get a new Miramar for almost the same price.

With them there was no bait & switch we are happy with the unit. I had a very long learning curve. Luckily I had a neighbor and he has been a help but, they have changed how RV's work. The miramar rooms will not slide with the engine running and the front shade will not come down with the key in the ignition. The doors really threw me a curve plus I had two I had to drill into the lock to get them open.

I have had the usual trouble but the dealer here in New Mexico is good but my furnace went out and it took a month to get it fixed. I prefer having the unit home and as much as possible I fix the minor things myself. I had to add a wheelchair lift my wife is handicapped but we have only taken one trip to San Antonio for a Navy Reunion.

Our unit drives & rides really nice I guess these things just take a while to get used to. I think the baggage door locks need more grease and for sure some loctite on the screws,

Take care & Happy Rving!

Larry Mac,
Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
A lot of Mark Polk videos are on YouTube.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

THOR #1454
I think I lied on my introduction post; our Miramar is a 2015 32.1 model. If I had it all to do over again, I think I would have purchased a used 2014 32.1 model that had virtually the same mileage (2,500 mi range) for about $15k less money and probably had most of the kinks already addressed. Too soon old, too late smart.

You mentioned coming to San Antonio for a Navy reunion, I am an old worn out retired Seabee Chief. I spend a lot of time riding with the Combat Vets Motorcycle Association and attending Patriot Guard funeral missions. It is my intention to drag a trailer with my bike behind the RV on our trips. So much to learn, so many places to visit, so little time. Ride Safe!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaj View Post
.....If I had it all to do over again, I think I would have purchased a used 2014 32.1 model that had virtually the same mileage (2,500 mi range) for about $15k less money and probably had most of the kinks already addressed. Too soon old, too late smart......
When we bought our back in early summer, we had originally found a used '13 that DW liked. Once we negotiated all we could, I was researching to see if we were getting an ok deal, and found a new '13 sitting at another dealer. Since they were starting to take delivery of their '15 models soon, they wanted to move this coach that had been on their lot for a long time. So, for very close to the same money I got a new on rather than the used.... I really struggled with the question of the worth of the warranty, and with the question you asked yourself.....

I have often wondered if all of these annoying little issue that I have been addressing would have been taken care of on the used on..... loose and missing screws, misaligned drawer slides, etc...
So would the used one have been a win, no warranty but everything fixed?

I don't know for sure, but I figure that at least some of the issues may have been addressed on that one, but likely not fixed correctly.... so it might have been a bigger headache. Also, it might have been a lemon with much bigger issues!

at least in my case I pulled the factory plastic off the mattress!

In your case, a $15k delta would buy a lot of mattresses.... but in my case since the prices were so close, I'm happy so far with our decision.....
Old 01-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #10

THOR #1366
Miramar 32.1

The Thor Miramar bath & 1/2 fits our needs really well as the Mrs is in a wheel chair & our son is developmentally disabled. I was able to get the extended warranty but, a lot of things like the roof are warranted longer.

You have a very valid point about fixing all the tiny things and yes for sure a used unit would probably already have those things fixed.

I have used Ford in Business with really good luck and so far that's been really good. Ford has always made a quality product. I patched the baggage door locks I had to drill out added some grease & loctite, now I have to do the 13 locks on the RV. I think the time to take the locks apart and put them back will be worth it.

As for the Navy I just did my 6 & got out. @ discharge they said doing four years on a Tin Can doesn't count. We had fun we were stationed overseas, the pearl of the South Pacific Guam. They have Carriers there now. A buddy did 22 years in the Navy & 18 years in the Merchant Marines.

Take care, Happy Rving,

Larry Mac,
Old 02-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I am new as well, from San Diego, 23U. Quality is not great, but I didn't pay 200K for the thing. minor details bathroom door springing open, fixed, forward hang over seal leaking fixed, rear bumper to close the camper body fixed, cheap battery soon the be fixed. I had mine for six months but I still dont mind the little repairs. Now I gotta clean up the glue which was splatterd all over the ceiling.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:58 AM   #12

THOR #1366
Thor repairs

Yes, the small repairs are endless but, sooner or later we will catch up My Engine battery failed but, how long has it been in the chassis? I couldn't figure out the charging system the house batteries charge when the switch is in use not store the engine battery never gets charges so I attached a battery minder it glows green when in standby and yellow when it charges been 6 months the battery id working fine.

I had to grease and add loctite to the screws on all the baggage doors now they all close. Two the screws loosened and would not open so I had to drill them open. I patched them and use them as spare Thor sent me two new baggage locks but, I had to pay $24 each to have them keyed to my existing key. The generator is really easy to service. I aired the tires to 110 psi then found the plate by the driver's seat that says 77 to 80 psi.

I'm pleased with my unit, love the Ford chassis but, I have had good luck with Ford.

Take care,

Larry Mac,
Old 02-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
. I aired the tires to 110 psi then found the plate by the driver's seat that says 77 to 80 psi.

Hi Larry Mac... I just wanted to confirm that your tire pressure specs on the placard by the drivers seat is in fact 77-80 psi. I have a Miramar 34.2, which is on the same Ford chassis, and is a very similar to your unit, but my placard states 90 psi all around. I weighed my axles and determined 75 psi was the minimum, and I am running ~80. The lower pressure improves the ride a lot. There is always some concern about not following the placard data even though the data indicates the lower pressure is fine. Thanks...
Old 02-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #14

Model: Miramar
State: Kentucky
THOR #1533
Miramar 34.2 Tire pressure

I have a 2014 Miramar 34.2 and my placard also states 90 psi
Old 02-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #15

THOR #1366
Hello All,

Having driven heavy equipment for 10 years or more I just assumed 110 psi. I guess if you are hauling 655,000 pounds it's necessary I drove to Texas from New Mexico and everything handled fine but, when cleaning the coach I looked at the plate by the driver's seat. Whoops 77 to 80 psi for tires which works fine for me my compressor was really grunting to get to 110 psi.

The Miramar I got had Michelin and I have been using Michelin for 45 years really good tires. Getting anything new is a learning curve.

Take care, Happy Rving!

Larry Mac,
Old 02-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I recently took delivery of a Challenger 37ND and although there are a few issues there was nothing major. This being our second motorhome with the first being a Forest River Class C I will tell you that all of the coach manufacturers have their QC issues.

With that said, in approaching this purchase I treated it as though I was buying a house. When we first looked at the unit we noted things that need to be corrected and those were annotated in the purchase contract as being required completions before delivery. Each item identified was completed before the PDI.

Also during the initial visit I mentioned a couple of things I would like to have included at my cost and my dealer installed them at his cost. These included tire valve extensions suitable for the inside dual wheels (cost 70.00 per wheel) and vent covers for the fantastic vent fan (manufactured and recommended, for all vent fans, by the fan manufacturer) and for the bathroom vent fan.

I will say that often times we want to place the blame on Thor for poor quality and they deserve the lions share of the blame. Yet, I also believe that the dealer that sells the product and claims to be an "authorized dealer" or "authorized service center" also needs to share in the blame. It is the dealer that is responsible for the new unit preparation and they should check each and every item and system before the coach is turned over to the buyer. The dealer should, during the PDI, give us a list of what is wrong and a schedule of when it will be fixed.

As to service after sale, I'll have to see how this dealer operates. They are located about 75 miles from me so it will be a one or two day affair with each visit. We are getting a Thor dealer opening a second location closer to me sometime this spring so I will have a choice.

Just my two cents folks.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 31w
THOR #1556
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm on my 3rd Thor Motor Coach since 2012. All three were purchased brand new and had at least a dozen issues each. From major issues like water leaks and not being able to attach the sewer hose to minor ones like cracked floor tiles and tank sensors not working at all. It's frustrating because when buying new I expect not to inherit a host of problems. When I bought my first one I was naïve and bought it one week before I was to leave on a 3000 mile trip, needless to say I didn't make it. I was camped out behind Camping World in Houston for 6 weeks while they just added to my frustrations. Now I buy one 3 months before I want to use it.
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #18

THOR #1366
Wow you did this three times?

From what I have heard & seen, everyone in the RV industry is too busy to do it right the first time but, not too busy to do it over.

On my Thor Miramar it's a beautiful Unit with a lot of little mistakes. I had a satellite dish install then had Dish Network come out and install two channel boxes which immediately started to run the batteries down. The Dish guy disconnected all the other antenna's. Yes, dish worked but, nothing else. Then when I get out of state I can only get pay per view?

I had to back to the dealer pay $300 to have everything the dish guy disconnected reconnected. I should have just got 300 1 dollar bills and threw them up in the air! Everything now is working but, I seriously doubt if I will ever use dish.

I found out that buying an RV is right up there with a death in the Family & Divorce! I think I have bought my first & last RV!

Larry Mac,
Old 02-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
There is a banner hanging in the Thor plant that reads:

"Make It Right The First Time".
Old 02-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #20

Model: Chateau 31w
THOR #1556
My sales person at La Mesa RV in Davis, CA jokingly said the last 10 feet of Thor's assembly line is at La Mesa RV.

With regard to getting local and network channels as you travel all I have to do is call Direct TV and use the address of where I am parked as my billing address and then I am able to get all my chasnnels.
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote