Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
JLW

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Iowa
THOR #8441
Question Hello from new Synergy owner

We have a 2018 Synergy. Seem to have conflicts between Thor and the dealer in Elkhart concerning the water valve.
We have a 4-position water valve on the driver's side. 12 noon indicates "NORMAL"; 3 o'clock is for winterizing; 6 o'clock indicates "CITY" and 3 o'clock indicates "TANK".
When running off of the tank (that is NOT connected to an outside water source) should the valve point to NORMAL or TANK? I think NORMAL and that TANK is for filling the tank.
In either case, we can't get the pump to stay on. 2 seconds after opening a faucet the pump turns off.
Thor wants me to take it to a dealer which is over an hour away. I am going to remove the pump, see if it is clogged since the rest of the coach has construction remnants all over it. If not clogged, I might try to purchase a replacement on-line rather than deal with the factory.
I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Jim

Old 07-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

State: Alaska
THOR #7889
When the tank gets pressure it cuts the pump off it doesn't r u n all the time only when you are using water
Old 07-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
JLW

THOR #8441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
When the tank gets pressure it cuts the pump off it doesn't r u n all the time only when you are using water
Pump shuts off in 2 seconds and does not pump water.
Pump icon turns off.
How about water valve positions for using the pump - should it be in NORMAL or TANK?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #4

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Jim,
Is there any literature on the valve in your Thor "bag"? Yours is a newer model than mine and it only had the 2-way valve for Local (city supply) or Fresh Water (on-board water tank). If you don't have any literature then you might call the manufacturer's customer service.

Good luck,
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #5

THOR #7889
Tank should be for freshwater holding tank normal should be city eater
Old 07-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #6

THOR #7889
Opps citywater
Old 07-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
JLW

THOR #8441
There is a CITY position for this valve and it is for connection to external water supply.
It is appearing that TANK is the position to fill the tank since there is no other position or option to fill the tank. NORMAL is what they are saying is where the valve should be when we are taking water from the tank.
It appears the water pump either has contaminants in it or simply needs replacement.
Thanks ... will be removing the pump this weekend and taking a look.
Jim
Old 07-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #8

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Water pump problems

Jim,
Have you removed the fine-mesh strainer/filter between the fresh water tank and the pump? Plastic shavings are commonly left in the tank after the holes are cut and Thor doesn't seem to worry about flushing them out. If there is a lot of debris in the strainer that might be the source of the problem. There might also be a restriction in the fitting at the bottom of the tank too.

I am shooting from the hip now so please forgive me. Do you know how your Synergy is set up for winterizing? If that winterizing plumbing bypasses the fresh water tank could you do whatever you need to do and see if the pump would "pull" from a bucket of clean water? It may help to troubleshoot a bit more and possibly eliminate the pump.

Best wishes,
Ed
Old 11-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
JLW

THOR #8441
Water Pump Problems

I am so sorry for not getting back on this forum for the problem.
Solution ended up being the strainer on the end of the kitchen faucet. After removing pump, filters, etc. with no difference, I noticed that the bathroom faucet did not cause the pump to shut off and had decent flow. Took off the screen filter on the kitchen faucet and had good flow and pump continues to work. I could not blow through the faucet filter.
Again, sorry for not reporting back.

Jim
Old 02-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #10663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
We have a 2018 Synergy. Seem to have conflicts between Thor and the dealer in Elkhart concerning the water valve.
We have a 4-position water valve on the driver's side. 12 noon indicates "NORMAL"; 3 o'clock is for winterizing; 6 o'clock indicates "CITY" and 3 o'clock indicates "TANK".
When running off of the tank (that is NOT connected to an outside water source) should the valve point to NORMAL or TANK? I think NORMAL and that TANK is for filling the tank.
In either case, we can't get the pump to stay on. 2 seconds after opening a faucet the pump turns off.
Thor wants me to take it to a dealer which is over an hour away. I am going to remove the pump, see if it is clogged since the rest of the coach has construction remnants all over it. If not clogged, I might try to purchase a replacement on-line rather than deal with the factory.
I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Jim
From Manufacturer:

1). “City” Position – Connect a hose from a city pressure source to the inlet check
valve, turn the pump switch to off, and supply city pressure direct to the RV
fixtures.
2). “Tank” Position – Leave hose connected to the inlet check valve and position the
valve to “tank” to fill the holding tank. If the tank is full, water will be seen and
heard from the vent .
3). “Normal” Position – Dry Camping – Position the valve to “Normal” and turn on
the pump switch. The water will be drawn from the on-board fresh water tank
through the on-board pump.
4). “Sanitize / Winterize” Position- Attach a short length of hose to the water inlet
check valve and place inlet of hose into bucket with sanitizer or winterizer fluids.
Turn on the pump and the contents of the bucket will be drawn into the fresh
water tank by use of the on-board pump. Turn off the pump when the bucket is
emptied. For sanitizer it can be left in the tank and for winterizer it is then
pumped from the tank by moving the handle to the “normal” position and turning
the pump switch to on. With the water heater bypassed and drained, the
winteriing fluid is pumped to each on board fixture by simply opening each hot
and cold fixture until the winterizing (pink stuff) is visually seen. This will also
dispense some of the winterizer into the traps beneath the fixtures to winterize the
traps.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
I am so sorry for not getting back on this forum for the problem.
Solution ended up being the strainer on the end of the kitchen faucet. After removing pump, filters, etc. with no difference, I noticed that the bathroom faucet did not cause the pump to shut off and had decent flow. Took off the screen filter on the kitchen faucet and had good flow and pump continues to work. I could not blow through the faucet filter.
Again, sorry for not reporting back.

Jim
Glad to hear that the fix was MUCH simpler than your worst nightmares!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #12

Model: Synergy 24SP
State: Florida
THOR #11819
Hi ChuckBo:
My husband and I bought 2018 Synergy last month. We have same problem when trying to run water pump off "Tank". We've started a list of service complaints when we take the RV in for first service visit and that is on the top of our list.
KimLee98
Old 06-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #13

Model: Synergy 24SP
THOR #11819
Hi Jim:
I am a novice at this. I want to follow the steps you took to resolve the problem we have with the water pump cutting off when on "tank" mode. How did you remove the screen filter from the kitchen faucet? Keep in mind that I am a female so use of "thingy" is permissible.
Thanks,
KimLee98
Old 06-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"I am a female so use of "thingy" is permissible"

If only I could convince my wife of this!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Gritz,
We're not judgin'...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #16

THOR #12184
Using Sanitizer input feed

Hello - 2017 Thor Synergy - New to RV
Been able to get all other modes to work fine on water system. Question to group ... When I do the Dump ( grey or black tanks open...) .. does the Sanitize line permit hooking up a water line to flush the 2 tanks or either one .. via input water off the sanitize ? Or is the sanitize only for drawing in sanitize "fluids or cleaner" when running off "sanitize" and pump is on?

In other words Sanitize only works (valve switched to Sanitize) for Pump operation and it sucks .. doesn't permit direct water input from water hose line?

Any experts our there know? Before I "break it" ?

Rockjoy
Old 09-24-2018, 02:23 AM   #17

State: Washington
THOR #13203
Rockjoy
The way to get your tanks flushed is by turning valve to city water and fill your tanks by opening your faucets and filling the tanks up. You can add a sanitizer through the sinks as they are filling your tanks up. Then drain tanks from drain valves. You could sanitize using your pump when valve is switched to sanitize but it would be quicker to just go through faucet drains. Sanitize valve get your main lines and also allows you to winterize your unit. You seem to be on the right path. And of course you have your black tank sani-flush hookup to run a hose to as well. But the only way you can get sanitizer into that tank would be flushing your toilet. Hope this helps.

Tags
water pump, water system question, water valve