Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Virginia
THOR #3416
Hello from Northern Virginia - Shopping for Class A

Hi all, My wife and I retired a month ago and have begun our search for a Class A. We have a lot of work ahead in our search and have found this forum to be highly informative in the short time we've been perusing it. We recently visited a couple RV dealers on the east coast as we headed back home from Florida after Thanksgiving. We really like the floorplans of the Challenger 37KT and GT and it seems there are many owners of the KT model. The concern we have is we see many negative comments about Thor in general, particularly in the area of QC and customer service. Some members are strongly recommending folks look at other brands. Any advice and counsel on Thor and/or the Challenger 37 series motor homes is greatly appreciated, and any comments/recommendations on other reputable brands.

We plan to attend a large RV show in Northern Virginia in January. We are early in the due diligence process and keeping our options wide open. We are in no rush and want to get it right before we write a big check and hit the road.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Patrick and Trisann

Old 12-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
First, welcome aboard. As others have said, the Thor sometimes has some quality issues. Nothing too serious and by monitoring here, you can learn a lot. Mostly make sure your dealer gives you a COMPLETE walk thru. Make sure you try everything and feel comfortable with what you get. Make sure the dealer knows of any quality problems before you drive off the lot

The one major thing I found out was service is not required from other dealers. With cars, all brand dealers will service your car. This is not true for RVs. I have been told by my local dealer that they will not service my RV because I did not buy it from them.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Greetings and welcome Patrick and Trisann

I am a fellow Virginian and myself and my wife purchased a 2015 Challenger 37ND right after last year's RV show.

We are extremely happy with the Challenger and with Thor's customer service.

We had one issue with the coach during our shake down cruise which Thor reimbursed to cost of a mobile tech to come out to the campground and get us going again. The issue was a slide motor coming unplugged because Thor forgot to install a bulb seal which serves as a wire chase.

I do have a couple of minor issues that Thor allowed me to defer until I take the coach in for service in January.

My prior rig was a Forest River Class C and in the years I owned that coach I never heard a word from any Forest River employees. A Thor representative called us three days after taking delivery of the coach and provided us with contact info etc...

Again, welcome and don't let the negatives of the forum make an important decision for you. I would guess there are far more happy owners on the forum than there are disgruntled ones.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #4

THOR #3416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

I am a fellow Virginian and myself and my wife purchased a 2015 Challenger 37ND right after last year's RV show.

We had one issue with the coach during our shake down cruise which Thor reimbursed to cost of a mobile tech to come out to the campground and get us going again. The issue was a slide motor coming unplugged because Thor forgot to install a bulb seal which serves as a wire chase.

I do have a couple of minor issues that Thor allowed me to defer until I take the coach in for service in January.

My prior rig was a Forest River Class C and in the years I owned that coach I never heard a word from any Forest River employees. A Thor representative called us three days after taking delivery of the coach and provided us with contact info etc...

Again, welcome and don't let the negatives of the forum make an important decision for you. I would guess there are far more happy owners on the forum than there are disgruntled ones.
Thank you very much for the information. It is very helpful.

Patrick
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

THOR #3416
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

Thank you very much Dave. Great info, much appreciated. We're going to the RV show at the Dulles Expo Center this coming weekend. Looking forward to it.

Patrick
US Navy (retired)
Springfield, VA
RV TBD