Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #10863
Hello from Pensacola, FL!

Hello everyone!

My family and I are proud owners of our first used RV...Axis 24.1. We couldn't be happier as this will be our home as we embark on a 6K mile journey to Alaska.

We recently drove it 1.5K miles to San Antonio, TX and boy was that a ride! I'm not sure if this only applies to the 2104 Axis, but it wandered a bit on the highway! Also, I'm not sure if anyone has done this (I'll search the threads), but I feel like my driver's seat needs to be lowered as I'm 5' 6" and my feet were swollen after our trip back.

Other than that, the rig did great! Easy to maneuver even for this first-time RVer!

Cheers,
Eric

Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #2

THOR #1249
Congrats on your new coach and welcome to the forum. Yes, if you haven't had an alignment done, your new Axis will not handle properly. You can start there and add more suspension upgrades as you need them. Just do a search on the forum for all the upgrades or mods and by all means download Ed's free manual.
I replaced the drivers seat pedestal with one that is 2" shorter and it makes a world of difference. Below is the link where I bought mine. There may be other sites with same base, but I think that was the best price at the time.
Happy trails.

RV Swivel Seat Bases,Chevy,GM,Dodge,Ford RV seat bases
Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drty78 View Post
Hello everyone!

My family and I are proud owners of our first used RV...Axis 24.1. We couldn't be happier as this will be our home as we embark on a 6K mile journey to Alaska.

We recently drove it 1.5K miles to San Antonio, TX and boy was that a ride! I'm not sure if this only applies to the 2104 Axis, but it wandered a bit on the highway! Also, I'm not sure if anyone has done this (I'll search the threads), but I feel like my driver's seat needs to be lowered as I'm 5' 6" and my feet were swollen after our trip back.

Other than that, the rig did great! Easy to maneuver even for this first-time RVer!

Cheers,
Eric
My advice simply- Find a reputable RV truck service center. NOT a Ford dealer, NOT Camping World. Find one that specializes in suspension service and tell them what it is doing. They should weigh it to recommend the proper tire pressures front and rear and check the alignment first. That might be all that it will need or they might suggest additions like you will find in the threads on this forum. I wouldn't want to drive it as you are describing all that way. Take the RV by the horns and get it looked at. Congratulations.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
They've got you covered for the alignment and the parts, so I'll just say "Howdy!", and "Welcome to our little parking spot within the Universe!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:57 PM   #5

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Welcome to RVing and this great Forum!

My family loves the Pensacola area. We often camp at Fort Pickens. Great place to camp, just 200 yards from the most pristine white sand beach. We will be back the first two weeks in May 2018.

Is there any place to see a play in the area?

Thanks,
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:51 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum!

Load your Axis like you would to travel, when you have it aligned. Josams in Orlando is one of the best for RV alignment, but quite a hike from Pensacola. Few auto shops will have the equipment to handle an RV. Check around and find out where the light trucks (like ambulances) go.

BTW, we're having a little get together of forum members, April 13-15 in Brooksville, Florida. Guarantee there will be a few Vegas and Axis rigs. Come on down and meet some friendly folks!

Here's the thread with all the specifics: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f28...lly-10408.html
Old 03-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #10863
Good morning! Thank you all for the warm wishes and welcomes!

My apologies for the delayed response, but we've been extremely busy preparing our home to sell (final item on our to-do list before heading to AK).

mcr1010/axis earl, thank you for the alignment suggestion. I talked with my CW sales rep (who I trust) and he suggested a place that he takes his RV to. Luckily for us, it's located close to our home. We have an appointment scheduled for this Saturday so hopefully that will do the trick.

mcr1010, thank you for the seat post link. I believe this is EXACTLY what I need! I read in another thread where someone had the same swelling feet issue and swapped out their seat post for a shorter one and it worked. I'll be ordering this today! I've also downloaded Ed's manual...excellent info there for sure.

Bob Denman, howdy back atcha! I look forward to seeing what this forum has to offer!

rickymac, our first camping "trip" was to Fort Pickens (cross a bridge and we're there). We love it there also, but being able to camp in the RV makes it that much better! WRT seeing a play, your best bet is Pensacola Little Theatre (Home - Pensacola Little Theatre). Another place to visit, although more on the music side, is Saenger Theatre (Saenger Theatre Pensacola). The Black Jacket Symphony will be there playing an Eagles' Hotel California tribute. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like more suggestions for places to see.

Mr. Sunshine, thanks for the tip on loading up our RV prior to alignment. Luckily for us, we have the moving company here now through tomorrow to pack/load what we're taking to AK. The rest we are putting in the RV and will be loaded up that way until we begin our trek to the last frontier. Also, thanks for the invite to the rally! We have a reservation to move into an RV park on April 14, but if we can move that up, we'll definitely make our way down there!

Thanks again everyone for your kind words, helpful suggestions and tips. Ya'll are the best!
Drty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:31 AM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Welcome to the RV life, and to this forum (feels funny to say that, as we're also new to both).

But while new to RV's, I've driven the Alcan three times. Some recommendations....

1. Be prepared for gas prices on the Canada stretch - my last trip through averaged more than twice comparable price in continental US. (and be ready to convert CN/US dollar prices in your head; then convert liters to gallons).
2. Once you get to AK - fuel is still about 25% higher than CONUS - even though they "grow it there" Go figure.
3. See 1 and 2 - carry extra fuel if you can. There are several places where you can go long stretches without a fueling opportunity.
4. Spare tire(s) - my last trip on Alcan was in '02 mind you; but there were 3 stretches of over 50 miles of unpaved road at that time. Invest a few dollars in the current edition of "The Milepost" - official AK/CN travel guide.
5. Check the limits of your roadside assistance plan - hopefully you won't need it, but.....

Other than that? Have a great trip! Some of the greatest scenery (and wildlife, if you're observant and lucky) you'll ever see will be along the Alcan - and the Seward Highway from Anchorage to Seward or Homer.