Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #4256
Leaking 23H and other stuff

Hi. Just thought I'd drop a quick note and cover a couple of things. We bought a Freedom Elite 23H last spring from Camping World in Asheville, TN, and the first year we put about 8,200 miles on it. It was wonderful. We loved the ride, the comfort and it was a great move up from a travel trailer.

Just this spring, a couple of weeks ago, we uncovered it and started getting it ready for our first trip. Suddenly the backup camera stopped working. So, one day before our 2-week trip began I called Camping World and they got me in that morning. Rushing down to the dealership (60 miles), I only waited about 30 minutes before a tech came out and starting tearing apart the dash. Turns out the Axxera radio had been shoved back so far back into the dash that the yellow (video) RCA plug had been nearly severed. Perhaps the freeze/thaw over the winter had sent it over the edge. But the tech there used some spare parts he had and kulged together a solution that got us through the 2-week trip. Kudos to both Camping World for expediting our service and to the tech for his brilliance.

OK, so we got back from our trip. Dry trip, with maybe a little light rain on the morning of the last day. Two days ago we had a pretty good rain here at the house. Didn't even think about it. Today we were doing the cleaning before we put the RV back into its parking spot. As we drove the RV into position before putting it on the small front ramps that keep it level, the nose was down and to the left. Suddenly a LOT of water came down off the overhead (driver side) where the fiberglass curve meets the flat fiberglass piece over the truck cab. I first thought it was condensation coming from the roof, but it didn't stop, so I began looking closer. The water wasn't coming out of the weep hole on the trim, or down the sides as I first thought. It was coming from the trim piece that covers the butt joint between the two fiberglass pieces.

It just kept coming. I got my camera out and took a video. It kept coming. Maybe more than a gallon. I went inside the coach and climbed up on the bunk above the front seats. The driver side front of the cushion was dry. I moved over to the passenger side and found wet. Seems like a lot of wet. We pulled the cushion out and had to get paper towels to dry the remainder. Sumthin' is leaking. We had been on the roof before our trip and hadn't found anything that needed attention, so I'm at a loss.

Called Camping World, again. They were great, again. Got the coach in this afternoon and hope for an answer in the next couple of days, or perhaps a week. I'll update when I hear from them, but in the meantime, anybody seen something like this before?

I completely understand the Freedom Elite is entry-level Class C, but I do wish the folks that work on them would do a quality job anyway. And I understand things creep up in even the most expensive coaches, but it would be great if they would just take a little pride in their work when assembling them.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #2

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
MountainElite,

I understand the concern and it certainly is warranted. Wow, that's a lot of water. Water can come from anywhere there is a roof opening; marker lights, windows or skylights... you get the idea. It is good that you are documenting this problem and you might also send word along to Thor Customer Care. If you have a good working relationship with this dealership keep up the good work and try to develop it further as a competant and experienced dealer can work to your benefit if they need to go to Thor on your behalf.

Also, I know on my 2016 Thor Synergy the owner's manual states that we only had three months warranty on exterior seals which seems even cheaper than their factory workmanship. I hope the leak is found and fully repaired and that you can get to enjoy your motorhome again!

Regards,

Ed L
2016 Thor Synergy TT24 3.0L
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #3

THOR #4256
Thanks Ed.

We do, so far, have a good relationship with the dealership. They actually seem to care. Very unusual these days.

I don't remember a 3 month ticker on our seals, but find that a sad statement on workmanship, an acknowledgement of a lack of quality. On the other hand we have been trying hard to keep seals clean with the occasional silicone rub on the door and window seals. In fact, before we left on our trip we had done a visual on everything on the roof and didn't find anything.

We haven't heard from Camping World yet. Hopefully within the next few days. But thanks for the thoughts. Be safe out there.

Bruce
KK4IFI (only a Tech)
Jona
KK4HMQ
Old 04-07-2017, 02:40 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
If Camping World does not come up with something you need to check the the L shaped corner trim that runs around the curves on the sides. The bottom edge can leak if it has not been sealed well and will channel the water under the flooring of the overhead bunk. I had a problem with water on the counter near the sink and stove top. I thought it was splash from the sink until one night it was pouring outside and I kept hearing short periods of running water. I noticed water running down the side of the cabinets near the door and tracked it back to the stove vent. I got soaked going outside and slapping a piece of duct tape and walmart bag over the vent. The next day I went out and took a closer look. Turns out there was NO caulk along the top edge of the vent so the water would leak in and when the stove hood would get too full it would run out. If you want to be safe recaulk every seam you can find and then check them every so often.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

THOR #4256
Thanks Samven

Appreciate that a lot. I'll look at that, regardless of what Camping World comes up with. Sounds like a good place to keep an eye on...

bruce
Old 09-25-2023, 08:17 PM   #6

State: Massachusetts
THOR #30901
I have a similar problem with condensation over the passengers side that I found under the mattress after purchasing it this year. The damage is minimal and is only water stains along the floor against the wall but I still yet have been able to stop it.
I replaced the marker lights with new ones and resealed them, I thought it would have helped, but didn’t. I also caulked areas that I thought could be where it might have been leaking, but the roof is in great condition.
I purchased the unit this year with 4000 miles on it, it’s always been garaged and its like new.
I’m going to replace the inserts in the u-channels with Steele rubber inserts (70-3979-240) 7/8 inch and have been told they are better than factory. This could also be where I’m getting some water infiltration.
If anyone has had this problem, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback or suggestions.