Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #4249
New from CA

Hello all,

Just saying hello. Don't presently own an RV but we are close. We have been looking for while now and think we have made a decision. Thinking real hard about getting the Thor Vegas or Axis 25.2. Love our brick and mortar so will be mainly a weekend or at most a couple week trip vehicle and it really hits most of our needs. Is there a bifferance between the two brands?? Any real down side to the his unit that anyone may know? I understand it's not super fancy but sure seems to hit the basics. Will probably need an inverter, maybe a dish for tv but seems perfect for the wife and myself and two small dogs. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Going to retire in a little over a year and do a little traveling, visiting the grandkids and such. I Did RVing growing up with my parents but my better half has not so this will be new for her. Thank advance for any thoughts you may have.

Jeff

Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Only difference between Axis and Vegas is the color schemes and the headlight positioning:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
If you didn't know -- Vegas on left, Axis on Right. And because the Axis light are horizontal the grill area is smaller than the Vegas.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the Forum! You'll find much good information here, and plenty of good people willing to help you with questions.

Vegas and Axis are twins, like GMC and Chevy trucks used to be. Besides the minor differences mentioned, the exterior color is more gray for Axis and more beige for the Vegas, and the stripes differ. Also, the inside fabrics are slightly different. Thor gives you both so that they can have dealers who are close together offer the same basic units. All Vegas and Axis go down the same assembly line.

A downside for some may be the lack of a mega cargo bay, but that hasn't bothered us. As with choosing cars and trucks, you need to consider how you will use an RV, what compromises you will and won't make and your budget.

If you are looking at used, search through this forum for some things to watch out for. The 16s and 17s have subtle but much appreciated improvements.

We chose the 2016 Vegas 25.2 about a year ago, and now have 7,000 miles and about 70 nights in ours. We insisted on a walk around bed, and we like the bigger shower this model offers. And it has plenty of storage, inside and out. It is usually just the two of us, but room for more folks if needed. For us, it is a Goldilocks coach. Not too big, not too small, just about right. If we had to replace ours, I haven't seen anything I like better.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Before you buy, compare coaches which have a slide in the living area, opposed to those with the slide in the bedroom.
I believe the 25.2 has a bigger bathroom, but a narrow living area.
So many options...it can become mind boggling !!

Have Fun !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:02 AM   #6

THOR #4249
Thanks guys

Yes I thought they looked the same. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to learning and getting our first motorhome but man is there a lot to think about and sure seems like a big thing to make a bad decision on..

Jeff
Old 05-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Axis/Vegas

One of the reasons we chose the 24.1 Axis was because we liked the twin beds in the aft section. We didn't like the idea of having the slide-out in the bedroom, wanting it to be available all the time rather than having to extend the slider. The slider on the driver's side gives us the room in the main living area but we actually do just fine when its retracted.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
One of the reasons we chose the 24.1 Axis was because we liked the twin beds in the aft section. We didn't like the idea of having the slide-out in the bedroom, wanting it to be available all the time rather than having to extend the slider. The slider on the driver's side gives us the room in the main living area but we actually do just fine when its retracted.
We agree with Earl !! We have had 2 motor homes and a toy hauler .. We evolved to the Axis 24.1 for all the reasons he stated and with a 25' vehicle you can park just about anywhere ... A must for us !... As for us the smaller bathroom is not an issue as ... It is what it is ... Do your duty and get out !
Some of the units have an oven in addition to a microwave .. We like the microwave/convection oven combo ... It serves us well for our needs and allows for awesome oversized double drawers under the stove ... The Axis has a small closet .. But lots of storage surrounding the beds.. Fold n store !!
Organization is the key !! The radio in the Axis has issues for some people ... We have had none ...
We love our Axis !!! Be sure to ask any and all questions .. Everyone on this forum is soooo helpful !

Enjoy the search !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #9

THOR #4249
Stabalizers

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but any one have issues with the shorter Vegas that comes without them. Any one add them or just use the wheel blocks??
Old 05-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunaguy
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but any one have issues with the shorter Vegas that comes without them. Any one add them or just use the wheel blocks??
Many of us here make do with boards or leveling blocks (I have 3 bags of Lynx Levelers that I use). There are a few that installed a leveling system. Clearly a few extra boards or a bag of Lynx Levelers costs a lot less than a complete hydraulic leveling system.

So far I've never had to use more than about two blocks to level the unit in a campground--I have 30 in total because I need them all for my driveway.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Tunaguy,

We will be ending our Rookie Year with our 2016 Vegas 24.1 on 30 May 2016 and have really enjoyed it this past 7 months (first 5 months were busy fixing stuff). At the start there were issues but CW of Statesville helped us thru it and Thor finally ponied up.

WP_20160115_16_44_32_Pro.jpg WP_20160115_17_01_04_Pro.jpg

Like most we have customized our Vegas and our biggest "MOD" was out with the Couch and in with two large Recliners. For us we upgraded the front end with a Safey-T-Plus stabilizer. The RV has plenty of room for the two of us and the two dogs. Tons of storage both inside and out.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160115_16_44_32_Pro.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1977   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160115_17_01_04_Pro.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1978  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunaguy View Post
Tunaguy...we agree with Jamie..and you will find many others agree.
We have 3 bags of Lynx blocks...so easy to use...and not a costly upgrade.
Ron has used, at the most 2 blocks in an RV park. When camping off the grid, you may need more. They work !

Be sure to place a set of bubble levels in your new coach. You will find a number of folks on this forum have displayed photos as to where their preference is on placement.

(a little history...when we had our toyhauler, last summer, in western KS, we had 2 nights when we were happy the levelers were on the trailer, as it could have been 'rockin' in the wind)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #13

THOR #4249
Thanks

Thank you, Jamie, Doc (like the recliners) and Ron. Just reading from you guys makes this easier and more settling.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2016, 01:00 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Those nifty recliners won't work in a 25.2, because the water tank is underneath the jack knife sofa.

We are among the minority that have installed leveling jacks. We like the convenience and the stability. For us and the places we end up parking, it is worth the cost, spread over several expected years of use.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:36 AM   #15

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Hi Tunaguy
Welcome aboard. As you can see, I have the 25.2 and I have levelers. I chose the 25.2 because I wanted a full time queen walk around bed. Starting next spring I plan to move into my Vegas and travel the US for a year or two. I didn't want to have to make the bed daily.

The levelers are fantastic. If you plan on staying in improved RV parks with concrete or blacktop spaces, you probably don't need them. But if the majority of your travels will be boondocking they really work. The ones I have are called kick-down levelers.

The only downsiude to the 25.2 is that there is no ladder in the back to get on the roof. And with a rear pop-out, there is no place to put a spare tire.

Safe travels
Old 05-12-2016, 02:28 AM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
Good information from a 25.2 owner.
To clear up any confusion...on the 24.1 Axis/Vegas with the twin/king bed in the rear....it is not necessary to make your bed ... if you want to hide a messy bedroom, you can pull the accordion door closed.
(re: twin/king bed ...you have the option of either )
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-12-2016, 02:34 AM   #17

THOR #2271
Yep! I meant I wanted a queen bed back there that I didnt have to make every day
Old 05-12-2016, 03:34 AM   #18

THOR #4249
Levelers

Thanks Mr brown, good information on the Levelers. Good to hear from a 25.2 owner. Yes really think I would like the Levelers. But we will see. I have a question about the stereo you installed. Were you able to incorporate the cameras, side and rear into the new system. The wife is really into music and would like to upgrade the system but dealer told us that is all you can get. Did not sound right to me.

Thanks. Jeff
Old 05-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #19

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Gbrown,

Did you install the Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser? I purchased one and would like to see what a final install looks like and hear any advice prior to drilling a hole in the Black Water storage tank!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #20

THOR #2271
Jeff,
The Pioneer that I installed only has one camera input. So I had the installer put three switches in the little (useless) cubby hole at the bottom. So I did give up the automatic switching. But not a big deal. Also, the Pioneer has gradient lines on the camera display so I can better judge distance while backing up. I don't have to hold down the Mode button to turn on any of the three cameras. I just flip a switch. Brighter display, Apple CarPlay, tillable display (to avoid glare) of the Pioneer is exactly what I wanted.
gerry