Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
On my shakedown cruise earlier this year, when arriving at our campsite in Mt. Pleasant, SC, my slide died while extending. The slide was partially retracted by roughly 6 inches when one side quit working and the slide jammed. I found out the slide controllers have a test function with a flashing light and the number of flashes will generally identify the problem. The codes are printed on the slide controllers. In my case the slide cable came loose from one of the slide motors because Thor failed to install the bulb seal which serves as the wire chase up the slide wall. After 1500 miles the wire decided it was time to unplug itself.

When the slide override would not work to retract the slide Thor authorized a mobile tech and when he arrived the following morning he had me up and running in under 15 minutes. It then took Thor over 30 days to reimburse the 90.00 dollars for the service call and 3 attempts to get me the correct bulb seal so I could install it myself.

I went out to RV Service Reviews and posted a review for the mobile service tech.
Dave, do you know what the tech did to get it to work? Replace any parts?

Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
Dave, do you know what the tech did to get it to work? Replace any parts?
Other than some tape, no parts were required. The mobile tech reached his hand back into the area where the motor is located and plugged the cable back into the motor. That was when he determined the wire worked itself loose because the bulb seal was missing and thereby the cable was just flopping around while we were driving. He used some painters tape to secure the cable until I was able to get the bulb seal from Thor and install it myself this past weekend. It took Thor three attempts to send me the correct bulb seal.

When I talked to Thor they actually thought there was a shorted or broken wire going from the slide controller to the motor. Almost right, it was a broken connection.

What I learned from the experience is to read the codes coming from the slide controller before talking to anyone on the phone. The mobile tech and I communicated through text messages with me sending pictures and a controller error code count so he knew what to expect before getting to me the following morning.

This is a picture of the slide controller with the red LED error light and with the error code listing . I was flashing 8 red to every one green. The green light indicates the restart of the count sequence.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide contoller.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	465

I also learned there is a difference in bulb seals. The bulb seal on the inside of the slides is a dual track seal that slides onto the slide wipe seal. The space (channel) between the dual tracks on the bulb and wipe seals is what creates the wire chase for the slide motor cable. The seal for the exterior of the slide is a single T shaped track bulb seal which slides into a channel on the slide wall. I now have (after installing the inside seal) about 15 feet of additional inside seal and about 40 feet of exterior bulb seal (2 lengths of 20 feet each).

And most importantly, if the first person that answers the phone at Thor displays the "ID 10 T" error code, hang up and call again. The second call will generally reap results.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:32 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Jersey
THOR #2103
Hi! New to this forum

I have been following this forum since my husband and decided we wanted to purchase a Thor ACE 27.1.

Lots of good information on here.

We had TT's in the past and gave up camping all together approximately two and half years ago. We realised that we missed the independence and spontaneity of being able to get up and go. So we researched different makes and models and feel the ACE is a good fit for us.

The one obstacle we are faced with before our purchase is that our Rav4 can't be towed. Being TT owners this totally did not get figured in the equation.

Any feed back on towing?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #24

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #2017
I am currently not towing a vehicle. Most of our stays are dry camps in the parking lots of sporting events my daughter participates in. When visiting college campuses, there are normally RV hookups by the football stadiums, so really no need for a car. We make sure that we stop at a Walmart en route to take care of dining needs.

I will have to figure out laundry needs without a vehicle, but I think I can get this figured out as well.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #25
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaws View Post
I have been following this forum since my husband and decided we wanted to purchase a Thor ACE 27.1.

Lots of good information on here.

We had TT's in the past and gave up camping all together approximately two and half years ago. We realised that we missed the independence and spontaneity of being able to get up and go. So we researched different makes and models and feel the ACE is a good fit for us.

The one obstacle we are faced with before our purchase is that our Rav4 can't be towed. Being TT owners this totally did not get figured in the equation.

Any feed back on towing?
What is the year and drive train configuration of your RAV4? The 2 wheel drive can be towed with a dolly. The AWD cannot be towed.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #26

THOR #2103
We ( let me rephrase that "I" ) like to hike and site see. My husband likes to golf so a means of getting around is crucial. Oh my lord if we couldn't take a break from each other on the road one of us would snap. Lol!

We too take care of needs before we hookup. Someone suggested a car rental...another expense. It would be bearable when we stay at rv resorts but that's not always the case.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #27

THOR #2103
AWD
Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #28

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Like Dave said, if it is awd our only choice is probably a trailer. There sin another choice but it will cost you about $2000, there is a guy on ebay who manufactures and sells towing hubs. You have to take your wheels off, bolt on the hub and then bolt your wheels onto the hub. That is just the beginning of the cost though. Then you have the base plate, the tow bar and a tow brake. You are looking at another $2000 most likely. a Trailer would be cheaper but not convenient in the camp ground.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #1469
Like Thor 293 stated for the RAV4 about the only option is a trailer. The problem here is the weight of the RAV4 plus the weight of the trailer cannot exceed the towing capacity of the motor home, which is generally 4,000 to 5,000 pounds.

If I were in this situation:

Option 1 - I would consider finding a new or used tow dolly and a throw away front wheel drive car. By throw away I mean something used maybe high mileage, but still in good enough condition to give you a few years of towing enjoyment. When it days are numbered donate it to charity and take the tax deduction, buy another throw away FWD car, load it on the same dolly and keep on rolling.

Option 2 for me would be to buy a dolly and swipe my daughters FWD Focus during my travels. She could use my car during my absence.

Now, my wife would tell you that at times I come up with some crazy ideas but I always say that all options must be explored and evaluated.

As a note, I use a tow dolly and with more and more cars coming off the flat towing list I will continue to do so well into the foreseeable future.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #30

THOR #1963
I have a new Thor ACE with the same screen door problem. I unscrewed the catch plate and placed a thin piece of metal behind it and now it catches fine.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:05 AM   #31

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #2017
I would keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't start rusting. That was my concern and why I used plastic.