Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #10455
2012 Thor Palazzo

I can’t fill the propane tank on my 2013 Thor Palazzo, the needle on the gauge is bottomed out on empty and the gauges inside the coach don’t get a reading and I know there’s some gas in it because my stove and my heat work can anybody make any suggestions as to what may be the problem I’ve had tried having it filled at two different places and they can’t get gas to go in the tank

Old 01-13-2018, 11:54 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
is it a 2012 or a 2013?

not that it really matters, but I was just curious if they actually MADE a 2012 model...

sounds like you have something blocking your inlet valve on the tank... I'm not a professional on propane since we've only filled ours once in 3 1/2 years and over 80,000 miles, and it didn't seem to be any problem. Could the folks who tried to fill it not give you some kind of clue, since they do this type of thing every day??
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #3

THOR #10455
2013 Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
is it a 2012 or a 2013?
Typo it’s a 2013 and both guys had no idea what the problem is
not that it really matters, but I was just curious if they actually MADE a 2012 model...

sounds like you have something blocking your inlet valve on the tank... I'm not a professional on propane since we've only filled ours once in 3 1/2 years and over 80,000 miles, and it didn't seem to be any problem. Could the folks who tried to fill it not give you some kind of clue, since they do this type of thing every day??
It’s a 2013 and both guys have no idea what’s going on
Old 01-14-2018, 12:04 AM   #4

THOR #10455
It’s a 2013 sorry typo
Old 01-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo 33.4
State: Colorado
THOR #10498
Propane Fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by iccnc2005 View Post
It’s a 2013 and both guys have no idea what’s going on
Best guess is the sensor in the tank is stuck. Inside the tank is a mechanical lever that senses the amount of liquid in the tank. If it gets stuck, you gauge will remain at whatever point it got stuck. Empty, half full, whatever. The bad news is the sensor mechanism also tells the inlet valve when it can receive additional liquid. My guess is the gauge is stuck in the Empty position, but the inlet sensor is not operating correctly, mostly likely because the other portion of the sensor is stuck.

To remedy, you must drain the tank. Remove the inlet valve, and on the back-end of that is the fill sensor(basically a floating arm to read the amount of liquid). I would not attempt a DIY unless you are comfortable working with propane. Any reputable propane dealer can fix this in about 30 minutes once the tank is empty. Also, many dealers can reclaim your propane so you are not wasting 50 gallons of fuel.

Good luck.
2016 Polaris RZR 1000 HLE
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Funhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:47 AM   #6

THOR #10455
Thank you Foghorn I did a little research and I am sure you are right. I just going to let the tank go empty and remove the fill valve and go from there. I’m going to look into places that carry the float and/or the fill valve
Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #7

THOR #10455
Quote:
Originally Posted by iccnc2005 View Post
Thank you Foghorn I did a little research and I am sure you are right. I just going to let the tank go empty and remove the fill valve and go from there. I’m going to look into places that carry the float and/or the fill valve
Sorry Funhog typo!!
Old 01-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #8

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
propane tank are not to be taken lightly, take it to a professional welding gas store and they could fix it or replace it. better than wasting time and a cheap fix