Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

State: Florida
THOR #8840
New to Class C

Hi everyone. I am a newbie Class C owner. It's a Chateau 31W just picked it up 3 days ago. I'm still getting used to how everything works, but having trouble with the air conditioner vents. Can anyone tell me how to direct the air flow thru the vents in the coach? I have closed the vents in the main unit thinking that would force the air through but it does not; if I leave the vents open in the main unit I have air flow in some of the vents but not in the bedroom. Am I doing something wrong or is it time to call the dealership? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
First, Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!!

Under the roof cover in the coach is a divider that seperates the intake from the exhaust, if it is dislodged you won't get good airflow anywhere.

If you have a Coleman AC remove the filters on each side, you will see 4 screws, remove them and the cover will come down. Check the divider to make sure it's firmly in place. If the divider is good then you have a blocked duct and need to return to the dealer.

Motorhome AC ducts aren't the best in the world and even if everything is ok you still may not get good airflow. Also make sure the fan speed is set to high.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #3

THOR #8840
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
First, Congratulations on your new coach and welcome to the forum!!!

Under the roof cover in the coach is a divider that seperates the intake from the exhaust, if it is dislodged you won't get good airflow anywhere.

If you have a Coleman AC remove the filters on each side, you will see 4 screws, remove them and the cover will come down. Check the divider to make sure it's firmly in place. If the divider is good then you have a blocked duct and need to return to the dealer.

Motorhome AC ducts aren't the best in the world and even if everything is ok you still may not get good airflow. Also make sure the fan speed is set to high.
Thanks for the input. Will try this first before calling dealership.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I pulled one of my round vent covers the other day. It appears the ducts are nothing more than channels cut in the styrofoam block insulation. I can see how chunks could get left behind by careless workers, plugging the system.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #5

THOR #8840
These seem like simple checks I can do myself...hope that's all it is. Thanks for the tip
Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #6

THOR #8840
Just thought I'd post an update. I dropped the main unit and found a filter that was sideways so straightened that out. Then found some Styrofoam "membrane " in a couple of the round vents. The a.c. blows through all the vents now, better when I close off the main unit vents but still not very strong...but at least it's not clogged and we don't have to go back to dealer for repairs. Other than not having the right striker plate for the screen door, we have no issues with our 31W. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 08-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2camp View Post
Just thought I'd post an update. I dropped the main unit and found a filter that was sideways so straightened that out. Then found some Styrofoam "membrane " in a couple of the round vents. The a.c. blows through all the vents now, better when I close off the main unit vents but still not very strong...but at least it's not clogged and we don't have to go back to dealer for repairs. Other than not having the right striker plate for the screen door, we have no issues with our 31W. Thanks for all the suggestions!
You know... I thought the same thing about the striker plate/catch on our ws31. But, once I pushed it all the way closed, It latched. Seems stupid now. But , looking at it I thought "no way that is gonna latch".

Tags
air conditioner, chateau 31w