Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
State: Oklahoma
THOR #15560
1.T ry to use the slides when plugged into AC or using the generator. Thor has changed the behavior of the 2020's to reflect that.
2. If your stove or sink are in the slide just beware that there may be lines that could become kinked, just something to watch for.
3. Maintain those slides and their gaskets.
4. Maintain your roof to prevent leaks. I will defer to these guys for a brand name of caulk, but make sure it is compatible with your roof, most likely TPO. You do not want to put any caulk in that area that will damage the membrane.
5. Have a roadside assistance plan just in case for an RV. This is not a vehicle that is so easy to just change a tire and some will also offer emergency assistance at the campsite if you have an awning or slide issue that you cannot correct yourself. Good Sam is the largest that serves the RV base and seems to have the most contacts for any given area.
6. Purchase a water pressure regulator to protect the coaches plumbing...They are cheap and usually in the aisle with the water hoses.
7. Just in case if you are going to be away from the coach turn off the water at the spigot. This just avoids something unforseen happening like a flooded coach if a water line ruptures.
8. Make sure and purchase RV toilet paper.
9. Consider purchasing an RV surge protector. They are cheaper than the damage done by surges in campgrounds. About 80.00 vs the cost to repair the electric system.
10. Purchase some spare RV fuses. You can get a mixed small kit from Amazon.
11. If you have a passenger side bathroom (I do) be aware that you probably have an extra dump valve somewhere under the coach near that bathroom. Some leave it open, but I learned from here to close it. It makes dumping easier and reduces the stress on the pipes under the coach. I like to avoid the "Poo Disaster".
12. If you going to long term in an RV park and plan on cable you will need the cable to run from the coach cable jack to the park jack (most likely).
13. Make sure the park grants you the long term rate if that is the case. They may have sites specifically for that purpose. You probably want to avoid the hassle of moving it all the time.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:15 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post
I'm going to be honest with you. There are things that need to be learned if you have never owned a RV, that you don't want to learn on the road.

But if there,s no other way, As mentioned, go to the Thor owners website at https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/ input your vin number and you should find the manuals for your motorcoach. Read them as you are driving off, but before you go at least

1. fill the potable water tank (this is water used on board to take showers, flush the toilet and wash things in the sink. DO NOT DRINK this water as I'd guess your tanks have not been sanitized in a while. Bring your own drinking water.)

2. fill the propane tank (Propane is used to run the fridge while driving, run the heater and run the stove and oven. Make sure your propane leak sensors are working correctly.)

3. fill the gas tank. (That's obvious but gas also runs your onboard generator.)

4. Have the basic supply's needed like a 30 amp power cord, sewage dump tube and clean water drinking hose. All can be bought at Walmart.)

We are here to help.

Jeff
Don’t connect to the sewer at a campground and keep your black and gray water tank valves open. You will end up with a big stinky mess in your tanks. Watch some videos on dumping. You will want lots of water mixed in before you dump. Open the gray tank valve for a brief time to ensure there are no leaks and close it. Then follow the procedure for dumping the black and then gray tank. We are also newbies, so this is the main thing I could think of.

Welcome to the forum! These people here are awesome! We have learned so much from them!

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:19 PM   #23

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
Congratulations on your new rv and welcome to this forum.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:21 AM   #24

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Georgia
THOR #14365
Since we have a 2014 Freedom Elite 28H, I'd like to take advantage of this thread to ask what is this lever and what does it do? We just recently discovered it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach87610_20200102_155829.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	22064  
Old 01-05-2020, 12:27 AM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That is a battery disconnect to completely disconnect your batteries when the RV is stored without shore power.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:30 AM   #26

THOR #14365
@16ACE27- Awesome!!! That's what we suspected but wanted to get confirmation, just in case we were wrong. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 01-05-2020, 12:37 AM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7035
No problem,. That appears to be on your chassis battery. You may have one on your house batteries as well.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:43 AM   #28

THOR #14365
There is no lever on the house battery which is located under the step as we enter the cabin, but there is a store/use switch to the left of the step that we believe cuts off the house battery.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:38 AM   #29

Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
Don’t connect to the sewer at a campground and keep your black and gray water tank valves open. You will end up with a big stinky mess in your tanks. Watch some videos on dumping. You will want lots of water mixed in before you dump. Open the gray tank valve for a brief time to ensure there are no leaks and close it. Then follow the procedure for dumping the black and then gray tank. We are also newbies, so this is the main thing I could think of.

Welcome to the forum! These people here are awesome! We have learned so much from them!

Pam
Brother in law told me the same thing. You can hookup the all the hoses, but don’t dump the black tank until it’s 2/3 full. That way you always know there’s sufficient quantity to drain properly. Took his advice and I’ve never had any problems.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:45 AM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTripster View Post
There is no lever on the house battery which is located under the step as we enter the cabin, but there is a store/use switch to the left of the step that we believe cuts off the house battery.
The USE/STORE switch disconnects almost all the DC loads. Generally it does not disconnect the Inverter (if equipped) and the propane/CO detectors.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: California
THOR #15907
Blue Light

The blue light indicates the TV antenna amplifier is on. I believe the two coax cables go to the two TVs. They are used if you have a DVD or satellite receiver.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:12 AM   #32

THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
Brother in law told me the same thing. You can hookup the all the hoses, but don’t dump the black tank until it’s 2/3 full. That way you always know there’s sufficient quantity to drain properly. Took his advice and I’ve never had any problems.
In addition, dump the black tank first. If you have the black tank flush system then close the valve and partially fill/flush the blank tank a few times. Next, empty the gray water tank after the black water tank in order to rinse any residual black waste that might remain in the drain hose. Lastly and not least, Make sure you’ve closed both of the valves before removing the drain hose.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:15 AM   #33

THOR #17714
TV lift motor

I have 30.3 2017 Thor . Problem with tv not coming out of the counter electric or battery powered motor not working!! Been to dealer at least 5 times, they said switch - not bad , they said motor - not bad ,than they said wiring - it worked 2 times and stopped working !! Any suggestions? I think it’s the motor !!
Old 01-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #34

State: Arkansas
THOR #17699
Hi I also have a 2018 Freedom elite fe29. Still getting the bugs out. It went back 5 times to get thing fixed from leaks to water heater not working. The Ford part is ok but Thor needs better QC!!!! and they need to give you more info. on the Coach. I have been RVing for over 30 yrs all Travel trailers and 5th Wheels but some of the things they do on this Coach is just dumb. I can't find out how to change the upper LED clearance lights Thor can"t give info,( If anyone knows please tell me) What i am saying is that you will have minor problems but it's all a part of the adventure and come here for help.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #35
Site Team

THOR #7035
It's been over a week; I wonder if the OP made it?
Old 01-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I was wondering the same thing...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote