Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 04:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Indiana
THOR #3677
New coach owners

Hey everyone!

We're Bob & Sarah Orchard (https://www.instagram.com/p/BAG55pwvi4P) and we bought a 2015 Thor Miramar (https://www.instagram.com/p/BAG58sivi4V/) in September of 2015 and moved out of our condo into it full-time.

You can find us on the web at http://instagram.com/thewebnomads and http://thewebnomads.io.

By day, I'm a software designer and Sarah does remote work for a website company as well as natural resource management.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:18 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #3689
Welcome aboard Bob and Sarah!!! How do you like that Miramar? We have looked at a few and they look great. Any issues? It is high on our shopping list for a new rig.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Indiana
THOR #3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Grateful Dad View Post
Welcome aboard Bob and Sarah!!! How do you like that Miramar? We have looked at a few and they look great. Any issues? It is high on our shopping list for a new rig.
We've actually had quite a few issues with our rig even though we bought it "new". You can read my other post over at: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...sues-3231.html and it starts to break down our relationship with Thor.

All-in-all, I would not/could not recommend Thor's RV's to anyone else. The Miramar might be okay if you were looking for an occasional-use RV, but since we full-time in our RV it's a bit different for us.

Even after driving up to their headquarters for service "by the pros" that "know what to look for", we were left with forgotten issues, broken lights, even more rust (rust we didn't have in the water tank bay) and their executives had no desire whatsoever to replace our unit for a "good" one. We were at their HQ for over a week waiting to talk to people but a.) couldn't get a meeting and b.) they would not return our calls. In our case, we drove up from Orlando, Florida to be there and aside from the warranty/service guys (Tom and John) that I talked to, it felt like nobody felt we were worth their time.

From what I hear, spend the extra money on a Newmar or Tiffin Allegro. A few of my tips that I wish I had known are (I think I'll make an e-book in the next few weeks to give away):

- If you're looking at a bedroom that has a slide, make sure the bed is not on the slide
- Do not buy one with a U-Shaped dinette - it's a waste of space and severely limits the use of this area
- Get a unit with seats that have a dense high-quality foam. Softer seats may feel good at first, but after you've driven 3-6 hours you'll wish you had good seats like what's in the Tiffin Allegro
- When you buy a unit, take....your....time...Test everything, ask questions, get the unit out in the light and inspect the paint job, test the jacks, water system, lights, electronic components, etc
- Expect to be told that "our service department can get the unit in for any warranty repairs right away". We were told this and they wasted roughly a month of our time (a month that we were supposed to live in our unit).
- Drive the unit before purchasing it or signing any paperwork. Bring a scanned copy of your driver's license with you that has "Do not Copy" and "Do not run Credit Check" written across the license. They don't need it for anything and want as much information on you as they can get
Old 02-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to Bob and Sara. Wishing you good times and minimal problems.

Thanks for sharing your experience. From what you wrote, I am wondering if you would get better service by going to a quality dealer repair shop, rather than back to the factory. Just a thought, and maybe you have tried that at different places, too.

We toured the Tiffin plant two years ago and were SHOCKED at the number of high dollar coaches waiting for service. There were a lot of service bays, and over 100 sites and they were all full! Several of the owners we talked to had been there for days, and even weeks, and several mentioned multiple trips for service. Can't say Tiffin isn't a good coach, but it made you wonder...