Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Florida
THOR #9231
Smile New to the Forum - First 1,000 miles in new Compass 23TB

Greetings to all the other members of the Thor forum! This is our first THOR product, but we are very experienced in RV living due to our 5 years fulltiming in a large, class A coach. We ended up selling that coach 4 years ago, and buying a house to assist aging parents, but really wanted to travel in a motorhome again.

We just purchased a 2017 Thor Compass 23TB and completed a 1,200 mile trip and had a great time! Here are our reflections about the coach:

PROS:
The Ford Transit 350 Diesel chassis is amazing! This is by far the easiest driving RV I have ever tried -- including class A pushers, fifth wheels, and travel trailers. Great power, economy (we averaged about 16 mpg at 63 to 65 mph).

Small coach is super easy to park - I did not tow a car and did not miss it. Very easy to simply unhook park utilities and take off for sightseeing.

Floorplan, while tight for two folks, works fine with just a bit of patience. Plus, everything worked pretty well once we figured out the operation. For example, the tankless water heater needs a strong flow of water to activate. Solution -- simply turn on the water pump if the campground water pressure is a bit low. Worked great!

CONS:
We experienced some minor problems that will be easy to fix (screws pulled loose on a cabinet door, air leaks around entry door - fixed with weatherstriping, etc). No big deal here -- we were very pleased overall!

OVERALL:
We are really pleased with the Compass and look forward to using it frequently. I especially liked how easy it is to use - just toss in the clothes, turn on the fridge and go.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations and sounds like you are having FUN!!! Keep up the fun factor!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!
My Missus and I were seriously considering the 23TB... It came right down to a coin flip!
We only got the Outlaw 29H because we didn't want to tow a trailer behind us.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Go, travel, enjoy - repeat as often as possible. Congrats on the new rig.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #5

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody471 View Post
Greetings to all the other members of the Thor forum! This is our first THOR product, but we are very experienced in RV living due to our 5 years fulltiming in a large, class A coach. We ended up selling that coach 4 years ago, and buying a house to assist aging parents, but really wanted to travel in a motorhome again.

We just purchased a 2017 Thor Compass 23TB and completed a 1,200 mile trip and had a great time! Here are our reflections about the coach:

PROS:
The Ford Transit 350 Diesel chassis is amazing! This is by far the easiest driving RV I have ever tried -- including class A pushers, fifth wheels, and travel trailers. Great power, economy (we averaged about 16 mpg at 63 to 65 mph).

Small coach is super easy to park - I did not tow a car and did not miss it. Very easy to simply unhook park utilities and take off for sightseeing.

Floorplan, while tight for two folks, works fine with just a bit of patience. Plus, everything worked pretty well once we figured out the operation. For example, the tankless water heater needs a strong flow of water to activate. Solution -- simply turn on the water pump if the campground water pressure is a bit low. Worked great!

CONS:
We experienced some minor problems that will be easy to fix (screws pulled loose on a cabinet door, air leaks around entry door - fixed with weatherstriping, etc). No big deal here -- we were very pleased overall!

OVERALL:
We are really pleased with the Compass and look forward to using it frequently. I especially liked how easy it is to use - just toss in the clothes, turn on the fridge and go.

Hello Cody 471,
I have a Gemini 23TR with some same problems,how did you fix screws pulling out & air leak on door ? mine is very hard to close need to slam it closed.
thanks
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #6

State: Florida
THOR #9231
Door wind leaks on Compass

PHP Code:
Our entry door on our new Compass did not seal well and had a very loud wind roar at speedI will likely take it back to the dealer to get it looked at,

but in the meantimeI bought some self stick 1/4" x 3/8" white weatherstripping (Walmart) and put it around the door entryMade a huge difference and is much quieter at highway speedsTotal cost was about $
Old 10-11-2017, 02:13 AM   #7

State: Arkansas
THOR #9447
Quote:

PROS:

CONS:

OVERALL:
Greetings:
I purchased a Compass 23 TB in June a love to floor plan. Had some problems, most fixed under warranty and some I did on the road.
Great to drive. But I windsurf so there is no place to store one without a toad or trailer . So my first trip I went without it and just used an inflatable SUP. Bummer.
So now I'm looking for a car under 3000 lbs to take as a toad. Will probably be Ford Fiesta or Chevy Sonic. Too bad the towing weight is so limited on the Compass.
Other than that, it's easy to drive, set up and parking is easy. Great mpg too.
So enjoy yours and maybe we'll see each other on the coast.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Great to hear from more Gemini/Compass owners! Very happy to hear details about fixes and upgrades. Keep on posting, Nancy
Old 05-27-2018, 04:23 AM   #9

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
PHP Code:
Our entry door on our new Compass did not seal well and had a very loud wind roar at speedI will likely take it back to the dealer to get it looked at,

but in the meantimeI bought some self stick 1/4" x 3/8" white weatherstripping (Walmart) and put it around the door entryMade a huge difference and is much quieter at highway speedsTotal cost was about $

Hello Cody471
I have an air leak at my door too.I noticed I have two areas about 3inch

missing at the bottom of the door. is yours that way too?
thx
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass 23