Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
New to Forum & Just Bought a New Vegas 24.1

Just checking in to say hi. My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Vegas 24.1 from General RV in Tampa. We do the PDI and pick it up this coming Wednesday.

Already spent quite a bit of time reading lots of threads on the forum and was particularly interested in the PDI and quality comments. Also noted the long discussions involving the radio drain on the chassis battery (will keep my eye on that and will definitely make a mod with a isolation switch).

This is our first RV of any sort. We've done lots of tent camping when our children were young. We are both retired -- wife a retired nurse and me a retired AF Colonel (42 years continuous active duty).

Plan on spending lots of time camping in the new motorhome. We have FL resident annual passes for Disney so we'll be over in the "Happiest Place on Earth's" campground. Being retired military we also plan to travel and stay at military base FAMCAMPS.

See you on the road sometime!!!

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations. Wishing you many happy miles.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Wish you two the best.

We are on our second month with our Vegas. Just had it in for some Warranty work for things found on the PDI and our first two shake-down camping trips. It took a few weeks to get the parts but all work was done with Ms. Enterprise (my wife named the RV) in the shop only three days. Only one item left from the PDI (front end alignment as there is a bit of play at highway speed) just waiting on paperwork.

You can find suggested PDI checklists on-line so as to be thorough, complete and concise as possible. I took a little over 90 minutes not counting the drive time (another 15 minutes in town then on the highway).

So far no major problems, just questions about why Thor did things and how to make modifications. This is a great Forum to learn from!!

Thank you for your service time. 42 years puts you back during Viet Nam and the draft. Uncle Sam sent me my letter in the last draft call on 17Oct72. I retired out in November 1995 after 23 years of Army, Army Guard, Air Force and Air Guard. Started out in Ft Leonardwood Mo as 12B10 Combat engineer E-0...retired out as Base Dental Surgeon LTC.

Enjoy your retirement and your RV. May see you on the road someday!

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Hope you folks enjoy many good miles of camping in your new Vegas. Even though you read about quite a few "loose ends" with the Axis-Vegas, they are still very dependable, convenient and fun to drive and camp.
Happy trails.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1547
Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours!!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 01:59 AM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
DocMike -- I had graduated with an associate degree in drafting & design from Penn State in 1963. About 4 months after graduating I got my pre-induction notice to get scheduled for my physical. I went to see the AF recruiter and enlisted. Went to basic training in Mar 64. Became a missile systems analyst and spent 13 years enlisted (making MSgt). Had gone to night school and completed my Bachelor's in Elementary Education. Applied for OTS and was selected in 1977. Was commissioned in Nov 1977 and became an AF Munitions/Acft Maintenance Officer. Retired in 2005 as a Colonel, was the AF's Director of Munitions and Nuclear Weapons when I retired. Earned 3 Master's Degrees during my years as an officer. Now looking forward to traveling, camping, and doing absolutely nothing productive during retirement.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:05 AM   #7

THOR #2142
Col, you've earned the retirement. I trust you will get the most out of it and your Vegas.

Again, thank you for your service.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:17 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome and thanks for your years of service!
Just a hint, reservations in some Florida state parks fill up months ahead.
Hope your new pride and joy gives you years of trouble free R&R!
Happy camping!
Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 AM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Welcome to Thor Axis/Vegas World!

First, thanks for your service and congratulations on your retirement. I'm an 8+ year AF vet serving from 1967 to 1975 as a Medical Admin Spec. Completed an MBA in Health Care Administration following discharge and have been working with the elderly ever since.

My wife and I bought an Axis 24.1 in June 2014 and now have a little over 8K miles and have loved just about every minute of it.

Please don't get discouraged by some of the horror stories you can find on this and other sites. The Axis/Vegas coaches are FIRST CLASS and Thor has stood tall to correct identified problems.

After the 2014 season, I quickly came to the conclusion that I was either too old or too lazy to keep trying to run up on blocks to get level so this spring we installed an HWH leveling system. Best money I ever spent on an RV.

Just got the coach out of the shop where they just installed a front steering stabilizer and air lift suspension on the rear. I could really tell the difference during the ride home and I'm heading off to Myrtle Beach, SC for an educational conference next week and then up to Gettysburg the week of Labor Day.

I hope you, the wife and your furry sidekick have many happy miles
Old 08-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #10

THOR #2142
Curbmaster,

I was reading your reply and wondered if you could just give a ball park figure for the upgrades you did: the (HWH?) leveling system, the front steering stabilizer and air lift suspension on the rear.

We are heading out on our first long roadtrip to Macon Ga to pick um my mom and take her to the Lake for Labor Day weekend. After that I believe I will be looking to do some upgrades myself and these three are on my bucket list for the RV.

Thank you for your service to our Country.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #11

THOR #1526
Happy to help a fellow Vet and North Carolinian;

Here is some details I cut out of the HWH Website:

AP52393 LE SY 725 Auto W/Touch Panel Straight-Acting Jacks
2008 Sprinter 3500 Series Chassis with the V6 Diesel Engine and Coach build date after 11/2006
Winnebago View Profile & Itasca Navion IQ Only
(not View & Navion), Fleetwood Pulse, Icon and others
(Axis/Vegas fits in the OTHERS Category) VISIT: Welcome to HWH Corporation

I handled everything through Camping World of Raleigh - total price for the system: $5,622.29

The Air Bag system also purchased and installed by Camping World came to $810 and included the "Air Lift" bags and on board compressor which they mounted on the driver side of the cabin just above the controller for the levelers. Very neat install and the Air Bags are adjustable with the touch of a button and the pressure gauge is lighted.

The Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer installed was $140. Again, through Camping World.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #12

THOR #2142
Curbmaster,

Thanks for the information, like I've said before no sense in reinventing the wheel.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Wow, bevedfelker, what a career!

Congratulations to your retirement and your new Vegas!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #14

THOR #1526
"FUZZY MATH" Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Curbmaster,

Thanks for the information, like I've said before no sense in reinventing the wheel.
Got to quit working on this in the early AM - to clarify:

Air Bags & Compressor Installed with 3yr protection Plans - $1,255

Steering Stabilizer installed with 3 yr protection plan - $452

Sorry for the earlier mis-information - happy travels.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 PM   #15

Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
Ed & Bev, welcome!! We hope you enjoy your new 24.1 as much as we do!
Happy Trails!!!!

2016 24.1 AXIS