Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #8447
New Forum Member - Windsport 31S

Hello!

My wife and I are mid forties professionals. I work in finance and she's a school administrator. We live in Southern California.

We are known as DINCs... That is double income no kids. We have four cats that are adorable members of our family.

We enjoy off-roading in my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (built up on 37", armor, axles, etc)

We dry camp about 50% of the time. We currently have a 2014 Lance 1575 Travel Trailer that we love but we've simply outgrown it.

We are looking at a new 2017/2018 Windsport 31S. (Also considering a Thor Quantum WS31). I'd love any feedback people have had with this coach... Such as:

1) Problems - What were they and how was it resolved
2) Things that you would do differently
3) Ride/Drive quality
4) Experience with a Toad and a 31S

I test drove a Windsport 29M today. It was my first experience driving a Class A. I didn't feel nervous or scared and felt it was no more difficult than towing our Lance. That being said I did feel that the steering was "soft" and some what unresponsive. It also felt like it had some body roll. The sales rep stated that with a completely unloaded RV it would have more roll than if it was loaded up.

We negotiated price on an 31S but I didn't know if it was a fair deal and so we ended up not buying. The 31S was offered to us at $105,000 ($25,000 off MSRP). We had already seen the same model for $92,135 @ La Mesa RV. We shared this with the sales rep and they countered that they couldn't go that low but offered $93,160. They told us that their dealership doesn't have any Dealer Prep fees whereas La Mesa charges between $800-1200 for the dealer prep.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Old 07-23-2017, 03:03 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well the whole unloaded/completely loaded up line was a load of crap. They drive the same with all your stuff in it or not. The good news there is that with a few mods you can make it drive however you want it to (just like your Jeep LOL).

A good rule of thumb with RV prices is 30%--you should be able to get it down to at least 30% off.

Personally I'd pick the Windsport over the Quantum floorplan--I like slides but that full-wall slide has always given me pause (and you'll find a few people on the forums here that have had nothing but problems with them; conversely you'll also find people who have had no issue at all and are very happy).

There are a few Windsport and Quantum owners on here so you'll get a lot of information, however.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:37 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There are several members with 29M coaches who love them, us included!!! My wife prefers the Class A because of the passenger room, desk, and reclining seat, I prefer it because I like the drive.

In my opinion Ford overpowers the steering, but you get used to it. There are several mods you can make to improve the ride and handling, chf (cheap handling fix) is one of them.

I would not buy a coach without the 50 amp dual AC option!!! Many members complain about needing a second AC, adding one is doable but it is a pain and when dry camping the smaller generator will only run one, and it isn't enough in hot weather. In Texas, due to the heat, our dealer always orders coaches with the second AC if it's an option.

The mattress is thin and hard but a 4" foam topper fixed that. Other items are more personal preference. I would also add a hardwired surge protector to protect the coach. For more ideas on mods you can make go to the Modifications and updates section, Jerry's Hurricane mods, there are lots of ideas for great mods to a Windsport/Hurricane!

Many members tow Jeeps without any problems, proper setup is the key.

Our previous coach was a Thor Tuscany 40' DP we had to sell due to storage problems. We are very happy with our choice, would we buy the same coach again, absolutely we would!

Hope this helps, good luck in your search and decision!
Old 07-23-2017, 04:09 AM   #4

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
State: Florida
THOR #6288
What they said... I have the HURRICANE 31S. I would buy again, but like the Windsport a bit more. Love the Ford chassis, etc. I think the storeage tanks are small for what you have in mind.the floor layout are a personal choice. Many if these MH need better handling packages added on, like mentioned above. This time of the new models are coming out so you should be able to get a better deal. Ours was listed at $127,500. We paid $82,000.
Good luck.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #5

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
slide issues

I would be very careful with Thor's full wall slide system. Both the slide and Thor have been a major dissapointment for us. If you decide to purchase, make sure it is the same system that they advertise in their brochures.

Be aware of page 9 in the owners manual. THERE IS A JURISDICTION CLAUSE THAT DEALS WITH JURISDICTION IN THE EVENT YOU HAVE TO SUE THOR. I was not aware of this when I purchased.

Our 2017 Miramar 34.3 had repeated failures. You can read many of my posts. But do your homework before you pull the trigger on this thing.

As far a pricepoints go... I have purchased 2 new RVs. I think 20%-30% off MSRP is about average. Over 30% is considered a good deal. You can get close to 40% off! Much depends on the time of year, inventory, etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The 31S does not have a full wall slide it has a bedroom slide and a living area slide. Thor changed from a two track system to a three track to give more support to the slides.

If you read the forums for other coach brands they all have problems that people complain about, $75,000 or two million, they all have problems. Find a floor plan you like, negotiate a price, and go fro there. The 31S is a great floor plan, we didn't chose it because we wanted a king bed. Other than the bed I would personally be very happy with a 31S.

Search the internet and look at prices, see what they are selling for. You also need to ask about service, what is the wait time for warranty work, can you get the oil changed there? Do a very through PDI, make sure the items you find are corrected before you accept delivery.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6959
We just picked up a 2018 Windsport 31S in May. Overall we have been very happy with the unit. There were a ton of small issues on our "punch list" from the factory but reading this forum for months prior to delivery mentally prepared us. I think the biggest thing is to deal with a dealership that is responsive & handles the issues. We paid $84.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
And, just my two cents here, I would NOT let them sell you the ridiculous extras when you are signing the sales papers, i.e., PermaPlate protection (make sure you get it detailed every year instead), Tryon tire protection, etc. Much discussion with the extended warranties and that I will not comment on.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #9

THOR #4443
I have a 2017 31S and really like it. Traded up from a 2016 Axis. Like the added 5 ft of living space and all the added outside storage. Got mine loaded with 2 AC's, power seat and half body paint. As other posters have stated, there will be a few hiccups (but knock on wood) mine have been minor, thank goodness. My advice is before you take delivery, make sure all systems work on shore power, with the generator, and with the inverter. Dealers like to do their walk thru on shore power which might mask a problem when your running on the generator. BE DILLIGENT. Make note in writing everything you find not up to your expectations but don't be overly anal. I had a good sized punch list before I signed any papers so the dealer would not be surprised of any issues. There will be things you will change to your liking but that's the fun of owning a RV. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
On our second month at just over 2K miles with a 2018 31S flat towing a 2300# Ford Fiesta and we love it. Ordered from Total Value RV in Indiana (best price, no $ add-ons or dealer BS) in Jan and drove the toad from VA to Elkhart for delivery. Just two of us and two medium size dogs. Plenty of room and storage space with this floorplan. Our must-haves were an exterior kitchen, NO mechanicals on the slide(s), straight galley kitchen, NO residential fridge,bedroom nightstands, split bath, and 50 amp/2 ACs. Drives/handles well with no modifications but seems to be a bit more stable with a full water tank. The V-10 with 6 speed is a great combination and a vast improvment over my old 2003 Class C. I plan to do the CHF and add a rear track bar and solar panels. Boondocked 4 times already with temps in the 90s; still learning to better manage water and toilet use but so far can go at least 4 days until the holding tanks are full and fresh is empty. 2 ACs on generator quicky cools the unit; inverter works fine but would have one of the outlets at the bed wired to run off inverter. Also have to be aware of parasitic draws; outside fridge, TV, and both inside TVs and dvd and a couple of outlets are on the inverter. Outside fridge and sink is very handy. Outside shower on drivers side is handy too. (Already changed out the inside and outside plastic shower hoses to more flexible stainless hoses) Shower step-in is a bit high and the toilet sits up a bit also. Pull-out sofa bed is comfortable but cannot use the bunk ladder with the sofabed out; not a deal breaker for us. Don't like the new-style awning with the wind sensor that cannot be overridden. Cupholders are useless. Have had only minor issues to date - some loose plumbing connections, loose screws, and unsecured wiring in various places. Power drivers seat is standard in the 18s and a must IMO. With lots of standard features, the Hurricane is a great value. Def would buy again and would def buy again from Total Value.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #11
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
We also have the 2018 Windsport 31S and have been on several camping trips. We upgraded from the Vegas and are really enjoying the extra space, especially if you are stuck inside on a rainy day. As far as a full wall slide do some investigating and do what makes you feel comfortable. Luckily we have had only minor issues that will be addressed at the dealer and didn't affect our camping.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #12

THOR #8447
Thank you everyone for the input.

What are the thoughts on the power of the Ford Triton V10 and the engine noise of the front engine?
Old 07-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #13

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence82246 View Post
Thank you everyone for the input.

What are the thoughts on the power of the Ford Triton V10 and the engine noise of the front engine?

I have the 34F, 22k chassis, and pull a car on a dolly (~4k lb). The engine works fine, not noisy while in 6th gear, little noisy when it shifts to 5th, very noisy if it shifts to 4th.

Flats and small rolling hills, its able to use cruise control and stay in 6th gear.

I am able to maintain a down shift to 5th on most of the larger rolling hills, without cruise control. Many of these with cruise control will drop to 4th, which I dont like, so I usually turn the CC off when I think it will struggle.

Lighter floor plans should do even better, and I have not heard many complaints from the Miramar/Challenger heavier coaches with the same engine. The only difference will be a different rear axle gearing and tire size, so a different cruising RPM. I run at 63mph and about 2200 rpm.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #14

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I have a 29M and tow a 4000lb Jeep. The V10 is a powerhouse of a motor. I can climb Cajon Pass and the Grape Vine at 55 mph no problem as long as I dont get stuck behind a slow big rig.

It can be a little noisy at times but nothing that bothers the me or the wife.

Where in So Cal are you????

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #15

THOR #8447
Hey Jerry!

Thanks for the info. We are located in Eastvale. Climbing the Cajon pass is definitely a concern.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #16

THOR #3156
No concern needed for Cajon. And the nice thing about the 6 speed tranny is that it will slow you down by down shifting saving your brakes

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #17

THOR #3156
There are a few things you can do to the f53 chassis to make the ride a lot better.

Safe T Plus to the front steering $500

CHF to tge front and reat sway bars no cost

Rear track bar $450

Installation is fairly easy if you can turn a wrench. If not probably $500-800 for labor.

Do some reading on these mods
Ive done them and can answer any wuestions you have.

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #18

THOR #8447
I've read and heard also that adding a Blue-Ox True Center system and changing the shocks to Koni or Bilsteins are a must.

I've heavily modified my Jeep and some things have been "snake oil" and made no real difference in performance and drive-ability... Others have been worth every penny. Any experiences like that with the RV?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:10 AM   #19

THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
There are a few things you can do to the f53 chassis to make the ride a lot better.

Safe T Plus to the front steering $500

CHF to tge front and reat sway bars no cost

Rear track bar $450

Installation is fairly easy if you can turn a wrench. If not probably $500-800 for labor.

Do some reading on these mods
Ive done them and can answer any wuestions you have.

Jerry
Why would I need a rear track bar
Old 07-25-2017, 01:37 AM   #20

THOR #8447
I read it to mean... An upgraded rear track bar.

Tags
31s, reviews, windsport