Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22C
State: Alabama
THOR #12615
New to forum and rving.

Wanting to introduce myself. Wanting to try rving we bought a 2013 Chateau 22c, with 30k. We love it. But thinking we may want to upgrade to a 28ft early next year.
Any advantages to a class a over a class c?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
That's like asking how much salt to put on your food. I think if you listed the pros and cons of each configuration, the lists would be equal, as so many features and benefits are a trade-off. Personally I chose C over A because of the cab and chassis configuration. You have a real truck cab built by a real truck builder and everything (wipers, a/c ducting, gauges, doors, windows, wiring) is built from the factory with many years experience and delivered to the coach manufacturer already in place. Many A models seem to experience lots of issues "up front" as a result of an RV body company attempting to build a truck cab. The C's cool much better as the cab is mostly covered by the over head bunk and the ceiling in the cab is lower. The engine of a C is out front so noise and heat are non existent. Mostly for me, I chose the C because you can get diesel power up front and you have two regular doors like a car which are very convenient for fuel stops, emergency exits, etc. From the back of the driver and passenger seats everything is very similar. From the seats forward...two different worlds...one created by a commercial truck builder...the other by construction workers.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
As has previously been stated, they are so different it really comes down to your needs. I had a class C for many years and loved it. When I moved up to the class A it was primarily for the capacities. I now carry 100 gallons of fresh water for extended stays while dry camping. Many class C's are nearly at weight capacities before adding all your gear and filling the water tank and you didn't mention if you were planning on towing a vehicle.

It is true as to the cab being built by the truck company versus the RV manufacturer, but I haven't experienced any issues. I can also easily swivel my front seats so they are not just wasted space when I am camping. This can be done in some class C's but is the exception rather than the rule. Even in the class A category their are many differences between the F350, F450 and the F53.

It all comes down to what you want and how you plan to use your RV. That is why they build class B's, C's and A's. Although they have similarities, they serve different needs.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on your next great adventure!
How much time have you spent in your Chateau so far? You might want to try giving it a bit more time, and see what you think...
...And that's where all of the fun lies in this game!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

THOR #11130
Good advice, especially since you are new to RVing. As you travel you will define your needs...it comes pretty natural. Look around at other models...talk to owners and ask them questions.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
We went through a journey: Fifth wheel, then Class A, then Class C. I didn't have a truck that would pull a "fiver", so cost wise a motorhome was a better choice for us. I have long legs and eventually decided on an "A" for driving comfort. My wife does not have long legs, so the Axis is what we found that we both could drive with out modifications for her.

As others have said, there are trade-offs and differences. It just depends on your personal preference. Also, the wife's!

Welcome from Tennessee!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Asking what RV is best is like asking what kind of shoe do you like. Different strokes... Your situation is exactly why it is always a good idea to rent an RV before you go buying one.

For us and the way we travel, the Vegas 25.2 fits us just right. We could make most of the Vegas/Axis floor plans work for us. I had a Class C years ago, followed by travel trailer, fifth wheel and a 33' Class A. All were fine until our needs and travel style changed.

We have plenty of friends happy with their choice, with all types. You have to find the shoes that feel right (and fit your budget)!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Renting them is always a good way to figure out what you want and don’t want. For my wife and I the side bunks were the non negotiatables for us and then everything else came after that. We figured we could always add the different creature comforts later that we preferred. We ended up with a class C because there were more options and the wife wasn’t willing to drive an A. Find the floor plans that you like and go from there, there really are only a few different companies that own several brands.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #9

THOR #11130
Renting is good but it's not much more than walking around the store for a few minutes with new shoes on. It's not until you hit the asphalt for a few days before they prove themselves good or bad. Buying your first RV used and at a good price gives you a chance to experience your style of camping...not so much your style of camper. Your style of camping, how you like to travel and places you prefer to stay will define what style of camper fits. Knees, backs and eyesight will play an important role in that decision process as well.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Good advice so far. We rented a camper to check it out (class C) and started making lists of "must haves" and "nice to haves" as well as deal breakers that we couldn't live with. We then bought an older used Class A and traded it in for our current class A which met every one of the requirements on our list (floorplan, extras, etc.) as well as was affordable.

Everyone will have their own priorities and their own lists, start making yours and go to RV shows and dealers and walk through all of them to get ideas.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #11

THOR #11130
But my opinion is the best one!!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
But my opinion is the best one!!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 22C
State: Alabama
THOR #12615
Thanks for all of the input. It has given us something to chew on.
One thing I do know, class a or b, it has to have recliners or a couch. The U-shaped dinette alone doesn't cut it. However, we still have a blast in it.
Thanks again!