Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Carolina
THOR #2694
Looking at buying a Challenger 37kt

Hello Everyone,
My name is Earl and I am a proud father of 3 wonderful kids. My entire family loves the outdoors and we have spent many days and night camping. My third child is only a 1 1/2 years old and my wife is ready to start camping in a little more comfort. We are looking at purchasing a Thor Challenger 37kt and was hoping to get some insight. I can't find any information on how much space in under the awning and also looking at the videos it appears that the blank tank sewer hook up is separate from the grey tank hook up. I would love to hear from any owners of a 37kt and tell me what they love and what they have done to make their RV even better. I love how you can close off half of the RV and let the kids have their own room (and go to sleep without waking them up) while the wife and I enjoy our own alone time. Look forward to hearing back from everyone and loving reading all of the great advice on this forum so far.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:23 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Hello, we are in the process of buy a 37KT, but there is 2 awnings on this coach. 12’ and 16’, both are power and both have lights.

As for the tank, there is 1 40 gallon black tank and 2 40 gallon gray tanks. The main hookup (were water line go into coach) has black and 1 gray tank (bathroom sink/shower). In the other outlet is for Kitchen sink and Washer if so equipped.

What else?

KC
Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

THOR #2694
KCook,
Thank you for your response. Do you know how far each awning comes out? I could only find one video online that had the awnings out and it didn't appear that they came out very far and if I was under the smaller awning where the tv is I wouldn't be in much shade? Is this the case?

Did I understand your response correctly that there is 1 dump valve for the black and grey tanks and then one other dump valve for the second grey tank?
Old 08-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

THOR #2628
I don’t know how far they go out, but I can give you an answer Friday.

Yes, in your control compartment (water line come in) there is the Bathroom Gray tank and Black tank, the other is for Kitchen sink and Washer if equipped.

Just so you know each awning is adjustable, I think it has 6 adjustments to bring them down (don’t hold me to that). All though the rear awning will be lower as its mounted lower and doesn’t have to clear a slide.

Also any more question post them in the Thor section below. Im a new guy to this RV as well but there are some great owners on this forum!!

KC
Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #5

THOR #2694
KCook,
Have you had a chance to see how far the awnings go out? Is there plenty of shade under the smaller awning to watch tv in the shade outside and now have to worry about a little sprinkle? Is there plenty of space on the longer awning to put a grill and a table to eat?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I'll bite. When did Thor start putting 2 awnings on any Challenger floor plan?

Looking at pictures of the 2016 models they still show one large awning on the passenger side with additional slide toppers over the slides. Looking at a 2016 37KT I see 2 toppers and one awning on the passenger's side.

As to the size of the awning, on my 2015 37ND the awning extends about 10 to 12 feet. I would have to measure it to be sure. In my opinion the awning sits so high off the ground that if the sun is on the passenger's side of the coach there is little to no shade. This however will be determined by the campground site, time of day etc...

Also, if not yet purchased, if it is not installed, talk to the dealer about installing the direct response system which automatically retracts the awning in high winds. The direct response is on my list of future mods.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #7

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I'll bite. When did Thor start putting 2 awnings on any Challenger floor plan?

Looking at pictures of the 2016 models they still show one large awning on the passenger side with additional slide toppers over the slides. Looking at a 2016 37KT I see 2 toppers and one awning on the passenger's side.

As to the size of the awning, on my 2015 37ND the awning extends about 10 to 12 feet. I would have to measure it to be sure. In my opinion the awning sits so high off the ground that if the sun is on the passenger's side of the coach there is little to no shade. This however will be determined by the campground site, time of day etc...

Also, if not yet purchased, if it is not installed, talk to the dealer about installing the direct response system which automatically retracts the awning in high winds. The direct response is on my list of future mods.
The KT has 2 awning. I just brought it home I'll measure
Old 08-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Just watched a video and saw a KT that has one awning attached to the rear slide and another attached to the coach over the front slide. It looks like the rear awning would be a lot more useful for shade and the space under the awning not limited by the slide being extended.

BTW, congrats on the purchase and happy travels.

Also, Carefree issued a couple of recalls on the Travel'r awnings so you may want to verify yours are not affected by the recall.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof3 View Post
Hello Everyone,
My name is Earl ....
Do you know a guy called Crabman, and a woman by the name of Joy?

Just kidding!

Good luck on your search for a motorhome!

With three kids, I would personally shop for a motorhome with bunk beds, (the 37TB for example). That way, at least the older kids have their own "place", and less intrusion on the living area.

As for the separate connections for grey and black, that typically occurs if you have a bath and a half model, and/or an exterior kitchen. Too much gravity reliant plumbing for one system with the motorhome chassis running right down the middle of the motorhome.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
For you new Challenger owners, I recommend you call Thor and ask them to send you the waste water, fresh water and electrical diagrams.

I found that each floor plan is plumbed differently and the diagrams were more helpful to me than the Thor reps. An example is that on my ND everything on the passenger's side is plumbed to the rear gray tank and everything on the driver's side is plumbed to the front gray tank. I was originally told by Thor (regional sales rep) that the outdoor kitchen was the only thing plumbed to the rear gray.
FMCA - F432054
Old 08-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #11

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof3 View Post
KCook,
Have you had a chance to see how far the awnings go out? Is there plenty of shade under the smaller awning to watch tv in the shade outside and now have to worry about a little sprinkle? Is there plenty of space on the longer awning to put a grill and a table to eat?
Ok, they come out 7 1/2’ from the side of the RV, the one on the rear side is 1’ farther out as its attached to side. This one is also 1 foot closer to the ground. But but both of them can be adjusted down.

KC
Old 09-19-2015, 11:26 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
Dad,
Like K says, the KT model has fully adjustable awnings. We love the floor plan, it allows for privacy. Having 2 private areas makes it into a 2 bedroom. 1=adults the other is great for kids. Plus the third zone is prefect for food prep. We had some bad luck with sldes, but otherwise we have no regrets. Best of luck and enjoy.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote