Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2017, 02:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
new to me 15 hurricane 34f

hey all,just traded in a toy hauler and bought my first motorhome. a 15 hurricane 34f.the dealer sold mostly travel trailers but had this as a trade in so they didn't know much about it and I am learning things the hard way.
so the TV's picked up a couple stations at the dealer but now at home(30 miles from Nashville) they pick up nothing. I saw one tv had a bad coax.i will replace it. there is a a/v cabinet with a 4 tv switch port. the dvd player was missing so I added one and dvd's play fine on all tvs. there is a ant booster switch and I see the light come on but it doesn't seem to help. there are 2 coax cables in there, not hooked to anything. anybody know what they go to? maybe 1 to ant and 1 to all TV's, or maybe they both went to a old dvd player with a input and output or maybe the should be hooked together?dealer said the ant wasn't really made for these digital TV's. its a 15 so I would think it would have a proper ant on it. thanks doug

Old 09-10-2017, 02:34 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Nothing special about an antenna for digital channels... Any 'analog' antenna will work just fine.
Insure the TV is set of Air (vs cable). Extend antenna (if applicable) and point in direction of the area stations (there is an app that can help with that... search DTV Antennas)
Turn booster on - then scan for channels...

If that doesn't find any - I'd suspect the cabling... need to test each segment - use a cable tester (tones when good connection) - or bypass each section with a known good cable and see if results change.

I can typically pick up a good number of stations near any metro area with the stock Winegard antenna. 30 miles shouldn't be too far.

As for the 'extra' cables - can you see what the 'other ends' are plugged in to? May need to pull out the switchbox to read labels on back if your 15 is anything like my 14...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:41 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane34F
State: Texas
THOR #7086
I have a 2015 34f as well.
The antenna booster should have 3 connetions. If I remember correctly there is a white coax cable, a brown cable and a black one . The brown is the antenna input, the white one is the cable input from the outside, and the black one is to the tv's . The light should be on for antenna and off for cable. The white and brown go on the 2 sided input and the black on the 1 sided output. My tbs work fine with the stock antenna. I hope you like you 34f as well like ours and I have made many modifications to the interior and handling . Good luck and happy travels
Old 09-10-2017, 03:16 AM   #4

THOR #9067
wow thanks for the quick responses,i will try more testing tomorrow. one other thing,this is my first ford product and also first motorhome so i have no experience. the trans feels like it needs 1 more gear. at 75 mph I was doing 3000 rpm,is that normal?i admit I didn't count the shifts so I don't know if it was actually in 6th. I tried tow/haul and from my experience with dodge trucks when you hit t/h the torque converter unlocks and rpm goes up just a little. that didn't happen at all with this unit. just wonderin. thanks,doug
Old 09-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepz View Post
wow thanks for the quick responses,i will try more testing tomorrow. one other thing,this is my first ford product and also first motorhome so i have no experience. the trans feels like it needs 1 more gear. at 75 mph I was doing 3000 rpm,is that normal?i admit I didn't count the shifts so I don't know if it was actually in 6th. I tried tow/haul and from my experience with dodge trucks when you hit t/h the torque converter unlocks and rpm goes up just a little. that didn't happen at all with this unit. just wonderin. thanks,doug
3000 rpm would be about normal at 75mph... 75mph is not necessarily normal in a 30+ foot mh...
Just remember he/she isn't going to stop like your car.... then again neither would your toy hauler.

Tow/Haul will change the shift points.... and on older mhs will cause a downshift when you tap brakes... Newer (last couple of years) I believe will downshift on brake tap without tow/haul being on...

The Ford V10 likes to rev... wait till you go uphill and it downshifts... twice... The transmission will keep the engine safe - it will be loud.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane34F
State: Texas
THOR #7086
You have a 5 speed trans.
75 mph is a little fast for me but mine @ 70 mph is @ 2800 rpm so 3000 rpm @75 mph sounds about right. I have added a 5 star tune to mine and it has really smoothed out the shifting for the 5 speed. It is expensive but well worth it IMO. They offer a discount if you are a IRV2 forum member.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #7

THOR #9067
Thx all.i found out 1 went to roof and other went to all tv.s.still didn't work but found ant on roof was disconnected up top and terminal was rusted.fixed that and all is well.
Thought I had a 6 speed.guess I need more research. So I just assumed that everyone drove 65-75 mph.seemed to handle ok.what speed does everyone travel?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #8

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I prefer to stay 55-60 mph, mainly for fuel mileage. 55 mph is about 1800 rpm on our Alante.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on the upgrade!
How about posting some pics?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote