Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 05:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31E
State: Louisiana
THOR #8291
New member - '17 Four Winds 31E

Evening! Long time follower, first time poster. Looking forward to a lot of insight and discussion with you more knowledgeable folks. Bout to test out our 31E for a few days then take it 2000 miles to California! Wish me luck/advice and I'll see you around...

Old 07-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishKilla View Post
Evening! Long time follower, first time poster. Looking forward to a lot of insight and discussion with you more knowledgeable folks. Bout to test out our 31E for a few days then take it 2000 miles to California! Wish me luck/advice and I'll see you around...

Nice choice. We have the same floor plan in our 17 Chateau 31E. She was picked up on 6-29 and left town 7-3. Been on the road since with 2500 miles added so far from Snohomish, WA to currently Kansa City, MO. Destination is Lexington, KY

Been a great trip with only a couple hiccups on generator shutting off while driving late afternoon after short stops for fuel. I'm thinking its overheating issues as we haven't had it since in cooler weather.

I highly highly recommend the ECT tuner from 5 star tuning. The shift patterns for tranny make a massive difference plus you get a little more HP & TQ. She's pulled this 8K lbs plus cargo trailer like a dream over the hills and passes while holding the gear without downshifting unless you give it more gas trying to maintain speed.

http://5startuning.com/product/7015fs/
Old 07-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #3

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Enjoy the ride and the memories. We just returned from a three week adventure in our Four Winds 31e. Headed out to Wyoming and South Dakota. Beautiful country. RV did great.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #4

THOR #8291
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast View Post
Nice choice. We have the same floor plan in our 17 Chateau 31E. She was picked up on 6-29 and left town 7-3. Been on the road since with 2500 miles added so far from Snohomish, WA to currently Kansa City, MO. Destination is Lexington, KY

Been a great trip with only a couple hiccups on generator shutting off while driving late afternoon after short stops for fuel. I'm thinking its overheating issues as we haven't had it since in cooler weather.

I highly highly recommend the ECT tuner from 5 star tuning. The shift patterns for tranny make a massive difference plus you get a little more HP & TQ. She's pulled this 8K lbs plus cargo trailer like a dream over the hills and passes while holding the gear without downshifting unless you give it more gas trying to maintain speed.

1997-2018 5.4L, 6.2L, 6.7L & 6.8L RV/MOTORHOME! 5 Star Tuning X4 with the 5 Star Tune Preloaded On Device for 1997-2017 6.8L - 5 Star Tuning
Thanks! How long had you been driving with the generator when you encountered that? Planning on making our trips about 300-400 miles a day with some variance depending on where we want to stop. This is my first class C, had a TT prior and I'm looking forward to the adventure... Loved the floor plan of the 31E too much to pass it up. Appreciate the heads up and link for the tuner. I had already installed a hard wired EMS and was thinking about Tire Pressure monitoring next. I'm always in the market for more HP and TQ tho!
Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #5

THOR #8291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcars302 View Post
Enjoy the ride and the memories. We just returned from a three week adventure in our Four Winds 31e. Headed out to Wyoming and South Dakota. Beautiful country. RV did great.
Thanks! Hoping to visit that part of the country next summer.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #6

Model: 31e Four Winds
State: Delaware
THOR #7159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfishKilla View Post
Thanks! Hoping to visit that part of the country next summer.

It was worth the ride for sure. If you do it don't try to pack to much in to the trip. We did Badlands, Mt Rushmore and Devils Tower with some points in between. Don't know how people jamb in Yellowstone.

When we did this trip we would find something to do /stop at every four to six hours along the way; American Pickers Store, Zoo, RV Hall of Fame. After the excursion, back on the road for two or three more hours. Made the trip a lot easier on the family. Our kids really had a good time.

Hope you have fun on your trip. We hope to journey that way in a year or two.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Crawfish and 2Fast, Congratulations on your new coaches!!! Welcome to the forum!

I've had the 5 Star Tune on my coach for a while now, the difference is great and very noticeable. Highly recommend this tune because it works so well with the 6 speed transmission.

Best wishes to both of you for safe and fun travels!!!