Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
New Owner Axis 24.1

Greetings!
In about two weeks, my husband, our teenaged son and daughter and I will be taking delivery of a 2017 Thor Axis 24.1. Our camping experience over the years has been limited to tent camping until 2 years ago, when my back, in no uncertain terms, let me know it would no longer be sleeping in a tent. At that time, we rented a pop up, followed by a Thor Axis. My back was happy and we started RV shopping. After looking at a many Class C’s, we came back to the Axis as a perfect fit for our family. We are now looking forward to some exciting vacations with the family. We have a lot to learn and I know I will be checking out the forum for the voices of experience. This is also the first forum I have ever joined so I am a newbie in more ways than one!
Happy Travels,
Sandy

Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congrats and welcome. You'll find many happy Axis & Vegas owners on here.

Be sure to get an alignment on your unit after you have it loaded up with your stuff (and if possible everyone in it as well).

You'll also want to download Ed's Axis/Vegas manual (which can be found in this thread).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesce View Post
Greetings!
In about two weeks, my husband, our teenaged son and daughter and I will be taking delivery of a 2017 Thor Axis 24.1. Our camping experience over the years has been limited to tent camping until 2 years ago, when my back, in no uncertain terms, let me know it would no longer be sleeping in a tent. At that time, we rented a pop up, followed by a Thor Axis. My back was happy and we started RV shopping. After looking at a many Class C’s, we came back to the Axis as a perfect fit for our family. We are now looking forward to some exciting vacations with the family. We have a lot to learn and I know I will be checking out the forum for the voices of experience. This is also the first forum I have ever joined so I am a newbie in more ways than one!
Happy Travels,
Sandy
Hi ! Sandy ... welcome to the Thor Forum !
We took delivery on our 2016 Axis 24.1 in January.
There are many Axis/Vegas owners on this site with an abundance of information and you will hear from them.
I just want to tell you...we returned, this afternoon, from our 4th overnight shakedown trip..before we take off for our summer trips. WE LOVE OUR AXIS..and I hope you do too !
Read and take heed of all the information which will come your way by this evening...it is worth its weight in gold !!

Enjoy and have FUN ! Happy Camping !!

Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

THOR #4184
Thank you for the warm welcome Jamie and Kay. This purchase is a bit daunting but exciting! I do greatly appreciate Ed's information Manual (Thank you too Ed) and recommendations about the alignment. I just called Thor and they are putting on the decals on our coach as we speak. I called them to inquire (based on this thread) about the couch, I thought I was getting a blow up mattress for the couch but can confirm they are no longer using blowup mattresses for the couch. I do have one other question. Does anyone have experience / recommendations for a bike rack for the back of the Axis. We would need one that carries 4 adult bikes. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Thank you for the warm welcome Jamie and Kay. This purchase is a bit daunting but exciting! I do greatly appreciate Ed's information Manual (Thank you too Ed) and recommendations about the alignment. I just called Thor and they are putting on the decals on our coach as we speak. I called them to inquire (based on this thread) about the couch, I thought I was getting a blow up mattress for the couch but can confirm they are no longer using blowup mattresses for the couch. I do have one other question. Does anyone have experience / recommendations for a bike rack for the back of the Axis. We would need one that carries 4 adult bikes. Thanks!
Sandy...someone, in the last week or so, posted a photo of a vertical bike rack...I searched for the location of the post, but cannot find it...perhaps Jamie will recall where it is...or the person who posted it will surface.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Welcome to the forum. You'll love the Axis. Lots of friendly folks here to answer any questions.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Kay you may be thinking of This post (What Fun, Thank You)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Kay you may be thinking of [url=http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/what-fun-thank-you-3633.html]This post (What Fun, Thank You)[/url]
Sandy...Jamie has the link to the bike rack on the forum...posted herewith.
use his link to the thread in his reply, directly above..
Kay (THANK YOU Jamie !!)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #9

THOR #4184
Thank you all for the picture of the bike rack. It looks like I will have to do some more research as it appears there are hitch mounted racks as well as ladder mounted racks. I wonder if there is enough space for both, with 2 bikes on each. I know they make hitch mounts for 4 bikes but I have read mixed reviews about them.

Ed, I read through your document last night and WoW, I think Thor needs to hire you. Very professional. Thank you so much for sharing all your hard work and knowledge.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
well as ladder mounted racks
I did a bit of research on ladder mounted racks and for two bikes I don't think its a great option. Too many people had the racks bend over time. A custom ladder solution seemed better (see pic). In the end I have decided to add 6" to the back of my motorcycle rack and put the mountain bikes there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike-camper-grey-1.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1933   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikerack.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1934  

Old 05-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

State: California
THOR #3552
This seems like a good soln:

Review: Yakima Hold Up Hitch Mount Bike Rack - Bikerumor
Old 05-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #12

THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Thanks Cosmo, this does look good. I have been looking at the Swagman Trailhead 4-Bike Rack for 2" Hitches - Non-Folding Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S63381 .

I like your suggestion as the bikes tires are sitting on a platform and not just hanging.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #13

Model: Palazzo 35.1
THOR #2831
Welcome fellow New Jerseyan. Hope you have a blast with your new ride.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #14

THOR #4184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandorr2000 View Post
Welcome fellow New Jerseyan. Hope you have a blast with your new ride.
Thanks! I'm sure you will appreciate were planning to stay as far away from the RT 1 and 95 Corridor as possible!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Welcome aboard & many happy trails
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
Hello Sepesce:

We're the ones who posted with the tandem hitch-mount rack. It's made by a company called ATOC (Atoc - Draftmaster - Topper Racks). They make a hitch-mount rack called Draftmaster that can take up to 4 bikes - in any combination of singles or tandems.

We've been traveling with long bikes - various tandems and triples - for a while, and these have been the best racks we've come across. We have no relationship with the company other than as a customer.

-Andy
Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Sandy,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of ideas and suggestions are on this site. Have safe travels and please share your ideas, problems and solutions.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #18

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Welcome from Florida!! Enjoy!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #19

THOR #4184
Thanks for the Welcome Notes. What a friendly community! Our sales guy at Scott Motor Coach said he is expecting it to arrive any day now.

Andy thank you for the detail about the bike rack . Other than the previously posted picture, I had not come across that brand during my research. More to ponder . Regardless of the brand, are there any thoughts regarding bike racks on the back of a RV that would be helpful to know. We currently transport our bikes in the back of my husband's truck ... a little padding between the bikes and off we go.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:21 AM   #20

THOR #4184
It's Here!

We took delivery of our new 2017 24.1 Axis last Saturday. We have not been camping yet but am having a grand time checking everything out.

So far the only thing that is not working is the cigarette lighter (old fashion name) It does not have power. My husband thinks it's either a fuse or loose wire.

This forum and the manual put together by Ed and others has been enormously helpful. Thank you again for sharing.