Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Talking Hello From Florida West Coast First Timer

Hi All!

I posted to somebody else's thread, but thought I would start a new thread just to officially say Hello.

Hello!

My wife Mary and myself, Michael, are early retirees who lived on the West Coast of Florida before retiring. We are first time RV'ers. The RV is a 2018 Thor Vegas with a 24.1 floor plan. Our plan is to hit all 55 Florida state parks that have RV campsites, starting with the closest to us and working our way out to the furthest from us. Should be fun (he says nervously, LOL.)

I have a ton of questions and need tons of advice. I have a 20 foot boat that I use for camping so I understand the concept of less is more when camping. However, my concern is to 1. make sure I make the camping experience enjoyable for my city raised wife and 2. keep the RV in tip-top condition since it was brand new when we bought it.

Here's my first question...we have purchased a Cricket golf cart and carrier specifically designed for the Cricket to hang on the end of the RV. Since the Cricket is only 303 pounds and the carrier is about 50 pounds, I'm thinking it will be well inside the 500 pound tongue weight limit. However, should I think about secondary bracing? Am I asking for trouble? Should I look at a beefier hauler that includes multiple receivers? The intended use for at least the first year is local meaning 150 plus or minus miles out to camp and then a 150 miles back to our home base. Any opinions welcome, especially clean experienced opinions!

Thanks,

Michael

Old 05-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
If you have access to your RV could you measure the couch width (outside dimensions)? Is it 68"?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you have access to your RV could you measure the couch width (outside dimensions)? Is it 68"?
It is currently in the shop down the street for the cameras, but I would very much like to have an excuse to go visit. I'll be right back and give you a measurement.

BTW, we are trying to get rid of the couch. Would you be interested in taking it off our hands? it is brand new fresh from the factory and never be used as we have not camped in or RV yet.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I would be careful with extending the hitch with only 500# capacity. "They" say, whoever "They" is, that any extension to a factory hitch reduces capacity by 50%. Add to this the vertical surges of hitting bumps and dips along the way. Have a professional hitch installer look at it and beef it up if possible.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #6

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post
It is currently in the shop down the street for the cameras, but I would very much like to have an excuse to go visit. I'll be right back and give you a measurement.

BTW, we are trying to get rid of the couch. Would you be interested in taking it off our hands? it is brand new fresh from the factory and never be used as we have not camped in or RV yet.
I measured it right at 67 and 1/2 inches so I would say 68 inches would be an accurate measurement.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post

LOL nope I've already replaced our couch with recliners...
(see here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...tml#post100858 In fact if you go to the end of that thread you'll see where the couch size question pops up).
Old 05-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I would be careful with extending the hitch with only 500# capacity. "They" say, whoever "They" is, that any extension to a factory hitch reduces capacity by 50%. Add to this the vertical surges of hitting bumps and dips along the way. Have a professional hitch installer look at it and beef it up if possible.
A little googling and I think the first stop will be a very reputable hitch shop a 1/2 mile down the street before I pick up the Cricket. Even though the Cricket is only 300 pounds, it sure would give a feeling of comfort to have a pro give an opinion and fix if necessary. A few hundred dollars vs. worrying and given my luck having a golf cart bounce down I-75 in downtown Atlanta during rush hour causing damage to car after car. Yeah, a small trip and few bucks now is definitely worth it.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #9

THOR #11130
I live in ATL...you won't have to worry about bumping around and up and down in downtown ATL...if it broke, you'll be sitting still anyway! Offer free use of a toilet and you'll have all the help you need!! Smart of you to have it looked at...you probably just saved yourself a huge insurance claim...real close to your first voyage!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #10

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I live in ATL...you won't have to worry about bumping around and up and down in downtown ATL...if it broke, you'll be sitting still anyway! Offer free use of a toilet and you'll have all the help you need!! Smart of you to have it looked at...you probably just saved yourself a huge insurance claim...real close to your first voyage!
LOLOL...
Old 05-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I always connect "trays" middle to hitch, left & right bolted to left & right outer hitch rails or the chassis frame. No wobble Very firm & sturdy.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Re couch
Jamie G I stand corrected then
But that means the one I looked at at lemons world had 5" armrests on each end
Hmmm
Old 05-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #13

THOR #11130
"I always connect "trays" middle to hitch, left & right bolted to left & right outer hitch rails or the chassis frame"

WHAT?? Can't picture this. We're talking about overloading hitch capacity more so than horizontal stability.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #14

State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
Re couch
Jamie G I stand corrected then
But that means the one I looked at at lemons world had 5" armrests on each end
Hmmm

I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and stop by the CW that is a couple of miles down the rd from us quite often. I have been in the 2018 Vegas 24.1 many,many times and can tell you without a doubt the 18 has the exact couch as our 16 outside armrest to outside armrest.....
Old 05-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony&Sheryl View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 and stop by the CW that is a couple of miles down the rd from us quite often. I have been in the 2018 Vegas 24.1 many,many times and can tell you without a doubt the 18 has the exact couch as our 16 outside armrest to outside armrest.....
I was wrong in this
I stand corrected
Sorry
I'll use the excuse I was tired from driving to look at the unit!
58" interior 68" total
My bad
Mea culpa
Mea maxima culpa
Old 05-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #16

THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL nope I've already replaced our couch with recliners...
(see here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...tml#post100858 In fact if you go to the end of that thread you'll see where the couch size question pops up).
Maybe I will just store it and just put it in for the grandkids.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 28z
THOR #5725
If it is 68 inches and jack knife I am interested. I live in Tampa. pm me if interested.

Tags
cricket, golf cart