Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you think of the motorhome as a blank canvas, and you're the one with the paint: there ya go!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I say go for it but expect a few QC issues the first year of ownership.

Im assuming its a brand new 2019 model. The 2020 will be hitting the lots very soon (if they havent already) so they should be ready to make a deal with you.

Take the total sticker price of the unit and ask for 40% off. Its not unheard of to get 30 - 35% off of the sticker price (I got like 33% off of mine back in 2017).

Also tell them you DONT need an extended warrantee ... and if they corner you on it (and beleive me they will) tell them something like "I already had an Extended Warr. setup for $850 for 5 years" (even if you dont) and I bet the match or beat it. I had one for like $1200 for 4 year Ext Warr. adn walked out with one for 5 years for less than $1000 (Mind you they start around $6000 at first).

Looking back at it I wish I never wasted my money on one - but it was my first RV and stuff like Frig and AC, heater, Water heater etc cost big money so I thought it would be worth it.

Be preparied to stand up if Negotiations come to a stall and 99% of the time they will cave in (I stood up twice). Expect to spend like 2 hours negociating and DONT pay them anything until you look it over and have them fix the obvious defect first, get a full tank of fuel and anything else you can for free thrown in.

Good luck.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

Looking back at it I wish I never wasted my money on one - but it was my first RV and stuff like Frig and AC, heater, Water heater etc cost big money so I thought it would be worth it.
Throwing in my 2 cents worth for the third time. I prefer the Windsport ONLY because I was in the Navy and the idea of being in a Hurricane all the time is unnerving to me. That being said...I have been shopping for a while, and since this thread began I also bought a Hurricane 29M. Two dealers here...one had the Windsport and the other had the Hurricane. One wanted to make a deal. So now it is always Hurricane season for this old sailor.

I am still on the fence with the warranty. Last purchase I got a warranty for "cost," but it still seemed high. Never used it, but...who knows?

Anyway if you like the floor plan, storage, and features and functions I donot think you can go wrong with the Windsport/Hurricane. Tremendous features for the money (with the right deal) compared to many others in competition.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #24

State: Alabama
THOR #15026
I bought it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
I have picked out my dream RV and just have to sign the papers. I have heard many good things about Thor but unfortunately I have heard many, many more horror stories. I am interested in a general idea of whether I should proceed and buy the 2019 Thor Hurricane 29M or run away as fast as possible.
I want to thank everyone on this site for the advice and testimonials and to let you know that I finalized my deal today and will be picking up my new 29M on Friday (if the walk through goes well). Per everyone's advice we will be spending detailed time during the walk through and will be inspecting everything.

So I will leave by saying I am definitely a Happy Camper and can't wait to take my first trip!!
Old 04-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Very Exciting! Congratulations & Safe Travels!!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #26

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
I have picked out my dream RV and just have to sign the papers. I have heard many good things about Thor but unfortunately I have heard many, many more horror stories. I am interested in a general idea of whether I should proceed and buy the 2019 Thor Hurricane 29M or run away as fast as possible.
We have a 2016 29M and like it so far. A step up from the ACE.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: California
THOR #14439
Quote:
We love our 2018 35M Hurricane from our local Campingworld (TMC makes this model exclusively for CW). Yes we have had some issues but Thor's customer service has amazed me to no end. The do whatever they need to do to fix any issues and have approved CW to fix each of the 5 issues we had and have been tremendous over the phone. Also all of our issues were relatively minor. Main issue was driver side mirror surface was corroded. Replaced whole unit and it has left turn camera embedded. Love our coach and TMC.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #28

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Not to worry

Quote:
-----------------------------------------

We own a Thor ACE 29.4 and had seen the good and bad reviews prior to buying. All in all, we are positive that we made a very good choice. Of course, we found some problems when we bought ours, but, the dealership and Thor stood behind their product. I gave them a list and the problems were resolved. We have owned the unit for two years and put quite a few miles on the unit with no complaints. We feel we got more than what other manufacturers were offering.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So: how did the delivery go?

How long did they take?
Do you feel as if they spent enough time?

Is there anything that you would have liked to have spent more time discussing?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

How long did they take?

----------------------------------
It went very smooth. They setup an appointment for either Tuesday's or Saturday's for the walk through and demo. This is when they go over each and every item (operation, use, etc). We decided to do a Saturday. They supplied the pen and paper for note taking. You will also receive a small nylon briefcase filled with all your manuals, etc. Ours unit was in the service bay were they cleaned in (inside and out). It was great and we didn't have to spend time in the cold. It gave us the opportunity to watch and then try an operation ourselves.

They were pretty thorough on explaining everything. Keep notes if you find anything during the walk-around. We arrived at 8AM and were driving home around noon. There will be warranty cards in the briefcase that you will need to send in.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #31

THOR #15026
A Small Hiccup....

Quote:

How long did they take?

Got there Friday and was immediately told there was a plumbing issue that they have already ordered parts for and will fix ASAP. We did our walkthrough and there were still some minor issues with things they need to work on/fix but all were noted and will be taken care of. I felt they took extra time with us to make sure we felt comfortable with our unit and that was reassuring. We could not try the leveling system because something was "unplugged" but they would fix/take are of that as well and will try them out and then go over their us with us when we come back. There is a device that "switches" (don't know what to call it) the TVs or something like that and we could not find anything to identify a manual or anything in material they gave us. We will have them go over that in full detail on Monday as that is now our expected date to pick unit up and complete paperwork. I felt thoroughly comfortable with everything so far. Harder part was leaving without my "baby" but Monday is only a few days away....
Old 04-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #32

THOR #8871
Ours was a nightmare

Our story of buying our Freedom Elite 29 ft is entertaining in it's ridiculousness. Most problems came from sloppy workmanship and apparently no quality control. Then the dealer was horrible as far as communication and completing all the repairs.

We tell the grandkids to be careful because it's made of cardboard and staples. HOWEVER, we love the layout and have taken some wonderful trips. I'm just glad my husband is an electrician and very handy with "stuff" so he could fix what wasn't right.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:45 PM   #33

Model: 2018 Newmar Canyon Star
State: California
THOR #6863
Quote:
Is there a forum/group especially for 29M or Hurricane owners?
That's pretty much what JamieGeek is referring you to with "Jerry's Hurricane mods." Jerry started that forum after he got his Hurricane 29M. He and others have had a lot of fun coming up with modifications to make the 29M, whether it's Hurricane or Windsport, a bit more efficient and hospitable. It's a lot of reading, but it's cool to see what other people have done...and then you can glean what you like as you customize your own "home."

As the forum has grown, you'll notice that there are many who post ideas who don't have 29M's -- but that OK. There are a lot of creative people out there! It's also a great place to ask questions as things come up with your new rig.

Congratulations on your new purchase! Personally, I think you've chosen one of the best floorplans out there.

Cheers!

Kent
ReadyBrute Elite towing & braking
PapaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:52 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Got there Friday and was immediately told there was a plumbing issue that they have already ordered parts for and will fix ASAP. We did our walkthrough and there were still some minor issues with things they need to work on/fix but all were noted and will be taken care of. I felt they took extra time with us to make sure we felt comfortable with our unit and that was reassuring. We could not try the leveling system because something was "unplugged" but they would fix/take are of that as well and will try them out and then go over their us with us when we come back. There is a device that "switches" (don't know what to call it) the TVs or something like that and we could not find anything to identify a manual or anything in material they gave us. We will have them go over that in full detail on Monday as that is now our expected date to pick unit up and complete paperwork. I felt thoroughly comfortable with everything so far. Harder part was leaving without my "baby" but Monday is only a few days away....
Sorry to hear that there was a few issius to deal with; but glad to hear that they're on top of things!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #35

State: Texas
THOR #11781
Rosemary's experience is the reason I will never buy another Thor product. The new coach was sent from the factory to the dealer with known defects. It was not properly built and who ever sold it didn't ensure it was ready for the customer. I would like to know the name of the dealership so I can avoid them in the future. Rosemary has bought a product that is not usable. That is total bu&& sh## and if you think that is okay, because all new RVs have problems then you are contributing to the problem. What Rosemary should do is ask for a return of any deposits or down payments and go somewhere else to purchase the new RV.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 AM   #36

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Rosemary's experience is the reason I will never buy another Thor product. The new coach was sent from the factory to the dealer with known defects. It was not properly built and who ever sold it didn't ensure it was ready for the customer. I would like to know the name of the dealership so I can avoid them in the future. Rosemary has bought a product that is not usable. That is total bu&& sh## and if you think that is okay, because all new RVs have problems then you are contributing to the problem. What Rosemary should do is ask for a return of any deposits or down payments and go somewhere else to purchase the new RV.

While you may technically be correct that the product “should be” defect free when it leaves the factory that simply doesn’t happen. If you have a good dealer as it seems Rosemary does, why not look at the PDI as an opportunity to learn about your coach and just let them fix it then go camping and enjoy it? Thor builds lots of entry level products and if that’s what you can afford then you have to work with it. If you can afford a higher end rig then more power to you. Some of us can’t. And there seems to be ample evidence that once the bugs get worked out Thor products can give good service.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:04 AM   #37

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
i also have a 2019 29m, the tv's will come on when plugged in to shore power, or gen running....other wise you have switch on the inverter that is in the little stand to the right of the entry door,...be sure to unplug the out side fridge or it will come on when you use the inverter...
Old 04-23-2019, 02:23 AM   #38

State: Texas
THOR #11781
Pete, that's the problem. Kia makes plenty of entry level automobiles and ships them all over the world. When they arrive at the dealer they work or the dealer fixes them before each sale. Why can consumers not expect that from RV manufacturers? I like my 29M and it gets plenty of use but I should not have had to do so many repairs in the first year. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt on warranty items, the amount of construction debris and extra parts and pieces was unacceptable. A cursory exam at the end of the assembly line would go a long way.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:40 AM   #39

THOR #15026
Quote:
Sorry to hear that there was a few issius to deal with; but glad to hear that they're on top of things!
Things were all fixed including items we found. I am very satisfied and got to drive the RV home today. Was worried I might not be able to get it in our backyard and through our fence gate but the new RV was actually much easier to get through and parked in our RV shed than the one I traded.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:41 AM   #40

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
i also have a 2019 29m, the tv's will come on when plugged in to shore power, or gen running....other wise you have switch on the inverter that is in the little stand to the right of the entry door,...be sure to unplug the out side fridge or it will come on when you use the inverter...
Ah, so many things to remember.... Thanks!