Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #15026
New Potential Thor Hurricane 29M Owner

I have picked out my dream RV and just have to sign the papers. I have heard many good things about Thor but unfortunately I have heard many, many more horror stories. I am interested in a general idea of whether I should proceed and buy the 2019 Thor Hurricane 29M or run away as fast as possible.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:05 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Lots of happy 29M owner's on here.

For a good discussion about what they've done to their units, peruse this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...mods-4609.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:26 AM   #3

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Lots of happy 29M owner's on here.

For a good discussion about what they've done to their units, peruse this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...mods-4609.html
Is there a forum/group especially for 29M or Hurricane owners?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 AM   #4

State: California
THOR #9612
You have your issues, once there all taken care of it smooth RVing, there will be up grades you will want to do, after a few trips, you will decide which ones you want. For me the biggest on was better sway bars. Once all my issues were taken care of, I am happy with my purchase
Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I own a 29M and if I could do it over again I would still buy a 29M, but it would be from Fleetwood.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I own a 29M and if I could do it over again I would still buy a 29M, but it would be from Fleetwood.
I also will be looking and am curious as to the differences in the two 29M Brands. Fleetwood also looks very nice. I have not seen one in person. Thanks Rev.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #7

State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Curious as to why you say this. I compared the 2 and just didn't see the same quality in the Fleetwood. Perhaps I missed something?
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #8

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
I have picked out my dream RV and just have to sign the papers. I have heard many good things about Thor but unfortunately I have heard many, many more horror stories. I am interested in a general idea of whether I should proceed and buy the 2019 Thor Hurricane 29M or run away as fast as possible.
I don't have your model, but for my experience so far, I'm happier with the brand thor than I am the dealership I bought it from. If I were you I would check reviews on your dealer.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachray View Post
I don't have your model, but for my experience so far, I'm happier with the brand thor than I am the dealership I bought it from. If I were you I would check reviews on your dealer.
This is the biggest contributor to buyer satisfaction: A good dealer. Make sure your dealer is on the up & up and never, ever leave your unit there while they order parts (it will be held hostage for months). Simply tell them that you'll hang on to it until the parts arrive and that you'll leave it there for no more than X days (X being how many days your are comfortable with having it set on their lot).

Have them agree to all of that, in writing, before you hand over your check for your unit. If they don't agree, walk and find another dealer.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First: Welcome to the Forum!

The folks that are happiest with their rigs are too busy enjoying them; to post about it on a Forum.
The folks who aren't happy: they're the ones who are usually over-represented in these sort of hang-outs...

It largely comes down to the quality of the Dealership's Service Department. Talk to them, and you'll find out hat your RVing experience will be like.

But it sure is an awful lot of fun
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #11

THOR #15026
I could Not Find a Fleetwood 29M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
Curious as to why you say this. I compared the 2 and just didn't see the same quality in the Fleetwood. Perhaps I missed something?
I searched when I read your post and could not find any Hurricane 29M's by Fleetwood. Is the model listed under another name?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Agree with Bob (it’s getting to be a habit!). There are LOTS of people who are happy with their Thor. Often I ask while I’m camping just by way of conversation and probably 90% of folks are happy. Most report some initial problems and frustration but say that once they get past that they are pretty happy. The ones who aren’t are about equally divided on simply wanting a different size or floor plan and having ongoing problems. A lot depends on whether you are “handy” and willing to do your own repairs and/or how good your dealership is with customer service. If you have some level of confidence in your dealer I’d say do the most thorough PDI you can manage then go for it! Enjoy.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'd say that "Great minds think alike."; but I'd never want to insult you like that!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #14

State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
I searched when I read your post and could not find any Hurricane 29M's by Fleetwood. Is the model listed under another name?
The Fleetwood model is a Flair 29M. Similar to the Thor 29M
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:36 PM   #15

THOR #15026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
The Fleetwood model is a Flair 29M. Similar to the Thor 29M
Yes, I found it! I know the quality reputation of Fleetwood but looking at pictures, I found it looked "cheaper" than the Thor. The over the bed mattress looked to be a 2" foam piece. There were fewer cabinets in kitchen and bedroom and just didn't look nice. Also, I liked that the bathroom door on the Thor is a slide door and not the swinging door on the Fleetwood. I think I will stick with the Thor and if I have questions, ask on this site. Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #16

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'd say that "Great minds think alike."; but I'd never want to insult you like that!

Or, as they say: “great minds think alike.....and so do ours”
Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #17

THOR #6826
Quote:
Yes, I found it! I know the quality reputation of Fleetwood but looking at pictures, I found it looked "cheaper" than the Thor. The over the bed mattress looked to be a 2" foam piece. There were fewer cabinets in kitchen and bedroom and just didn't look nice. Also, I liked that the bathroom door on the Thor is a slide door and not the swinging door on the Fleetwood. I think I will stick with the Thor and if I have questions, ask on this site. Thanks again!

The Flair is Fleetwood’s entry level line while the hurricane is more of a mid-level coach so I think your observation is probably correct. A better comparison might be to the Winnebago Vista 29VE.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
[QUOTE=Pete'sMH;177439]Or, as they say: “great minds think alike.....and so do ours”[/QUOTE
If you could read my mind: it'd be like reading a comic book...
Old 04-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #11781
I'm not getting rid of my Hurricane and with confidence use it a lot. But if anyone thinks Thor manufactures a quality product they are delusional. Just scan this forum. I have owned Fleetwoods in the past and their build quality was far superior to my current Thor. The fit and finish was better as were the materials used during construction. Fleetwoods parent company builds ambulances, buses, fire trucks and other specialty vehicles. Flair is their entry level product line comparable to the "mid-level" Hurricane. The thing Thor has going for them is they are less expensive. One can save a lot of money buying a Thor over a Fleetwood. Hence, we own a Thor and I as well as others will continue to call out Thor when their lack of quality lets us down. Kia makes cars that are in the same segment as Honda. Kias are a lot less expensive than Hondas yet Consumer Reports and JD Power rank them better than Honda. Less expensive doesn't have to mean less quality.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10254
I bought a new 2018 Thor Windsport 29M,so basically the same as you are considering.

We did have a few first year issues, like all RVer's experience. My biggest frustration was in getting things fixed timely with th dealer, not Thor.

I was fortunate enough to plan a trip to the Wakarusa service center to have the last few issues covered before my 1 year warranty expired.

My wife & I love our Windsport & don't plan to get rid of it any time soon.

Just go into this knowing that there will be things that need fixed.

Also, if you're like most of us, you will make a few minor modifications to get it custom to your liking. That's what keeps it fun!

Best of luck in your decision.