Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2023, 11:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 33SW
State: Maryland
THOR #30366
New-to-Us 2014 Chateau 33SW

Greetings - thought I should throw something in here...

We just picked up a new-to-us 2014 Thor Chateau 33SW Super C, coming from a 2012 Outback 312BH towed by our 2012 Ram 3500 DRW.

I have to say, the Ford Powerstroke is not impressing me a ton, particularly after our adventures on the maiden voyage.

The cold-side turbo pipe decided it wanted to be in pieces nearing the NY-NJ border on I287. Pulling into the rest area to check things out after the loud BANG and loss of power (but no warning indicators on the dash), I was unsuccessful avoiding a cone in the road that the car in front of us dodged at the last second, taking out the new hanger on the generator exhaust.

After picking out the pieces of plastic from the remnants of the turbo pipe, and zip-tying the generator exhaust back up, we limped to the KOA in Newburgh.

The next morning, we called the local Ford dealer, only to find that the cold pipe is on national backorder... but the dealer in Goshen shows one on hand that they may sell us. After speaking to them and confirming they had it, headed south to pick it up. Turns out following the 'new' rig with the Jeep was a good idea after all!

Different guy at the desk than I talked to, so started describing what I needed - his reply: "Oh, the pipe that always breaks." Yeah, that one. And all the while I'm thinking in my head "I've owned two Cummins rigs for 15 years now, and neither has ever had an issue with the turbo - or anything else. The only way I know the check engine light works is when I turn the key on."

Back to the campground to repair the rig, no more issues on that front, but now the step just makes whirring noises, doesn't actually move.

{sigh}

Other than that, and the wiring under the dash that either Thor or a previous owner mangled, causing all of my gauges (and the AC) to cease functioning on the way back until I found the crappy blue butt connectors that were loose next to the parking brake, and today finding out that Vroom won't put their slides on my slideout, so far we're happy with it...

Old 07-27-2023, 11:46 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #30324
Welcome aboard !
Old 07-28-2023, 12:13 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Buy the aftermarket metal turbo tube as a spare.
Keep it in the RV.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:19 AM   #4

State: Maryland
THOR #30366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Buy the aftermarket metal turbo tube as a spare.
Keep it in the RV.

It arrives Saturday. The plastic will be the spare at that point.
2012 Ram 3500 HO DRW
2005 Ram 3500 SRW
AK96SS_Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:04 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #30854
Greetings! I also just bought a new to me 2014 33SW in July and on the first journey I had the same turbo pipe explode LOL. Luckily my son was with me and was aware of this common 6.7 problem and quickly went to parts store and got a metal replacement. Sounds like we should stay in touch about our experiences with this RV!