Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
It really depends on the dealer, some will discount heavily if you order so they don't have pay for it sitting on the lot. A quick order and deliver is easy money. It's finding the dealer that will do it. I surfed the Internet for units in ohio to give you a price idea. The cheapest I found on a 24.1 was $71995. What price did they offer you? Sometime you have to go to another state for the unit you want. We bought in Indiana but if that fell through the next unit we found with options colors and price was in Alabama.
I also found one in alabama that I liked but the best price I have seen was in Florida but of course you have to give them your information for the specifics.
I agree that color combo is secondary but i am thinking down the road for resale value…may not really matter but who knows. Last night I started to get cold feet looking at all the issues folks have. It's not exclusive to Thor; I looked at the Winnie owner forums and issues there too. Also, the Thor dealer in my area is CW and I have seen several complaints about them but I expect it's like car dealerships, they vary based on ownership and management.

Do you recommend that I take it back out and run the noise meter to see decibels on engine? Also, anyone have experience taking on an overnight? Can you even do that? I also plan to push back on fees (freight and inspection) and go from there. Thanks for all the info. This forum is extremely helpful.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishgrl
Do you recommend that I take it back out and run the noise meter to see decibels on engine?
That would depend on a few things:
  • Are you ok with the noise level as it is?
  • If not do you want the dealer to handle it?
  • How handy are you? Would you be willing to tackle it yourself?

We were ok with the noise level as is until I started reading on here peoples issues and progress with quieting the unit down. I have done a few things (added extra insulation to the doghouse, added some insulation to plug the holes in the front two pillars) with some success--I don't know if my most recent additions have done anything yet.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #23

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Flyfishgrl, you will never buy an rv that doesn't have issues but the majority are usually easy fixes that you can do yourself. I'm sure if you are looking at Rv's you are more than capable of fixing things. If you think you will be needing your dealer to fix stuff then you need to really feel comfortable with the dealer and his abilities. I would research them for reviews and ask on the forums about them. You will never find a dealer everyone like I doubt but a large % of + reviews would be my guide. This may cost you a little more than the discount dealer but it is a trade off. We bought ours at camping world of Indianapolis and I can guarantee you they will never see the coach again or me as a customer. A lot of camping world have bad reps but there are certainly some good ones out there. I could have just had bad luck. Good luck in your search and hope you find what you like!
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:19 AM   #24

THOR #1887
thanks all for the helpful information. I am not very handy but am willing to learn. Can you take your motorhome into any other Thor dealership for repairs? I am assuming it is just like cars in that respect but just confirming. If/when I do buy, how long (or how much run time) do I need to have before taking it on a longer (800 mi) trip? It seems like I should be able to load it up and go but I see that I probably need to load it up, get it aligned and maybe drive it around town before I head out.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for the always helpful and informative replies.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishgrl View Post
thanks all for the helpful information. I am not very handy but am willing to learn. Can you take your motorhome into any other Thor dealership for repairs? I am assuming it is just like cars in that respect but just confirming. If/when I do buy, how long (or how much run time) do I need to have before taking it on a longer (800 mi) trip? It seems like I should be able to load it up and go but I see that I probably need to load it up, get it aligned and maybe drive it around town before I head out.

you are on the right track. In addition stay on the PDI until you are comfortable working every system on the unit. From the slides to dumping the tanks, running the TV both on air waves cable and Sat Jacks if so equipt. Than do one or two night in camp driveway, or a local camp ground. Keep a list of what you find that you will need. Above all just have fun
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #26
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:

The willingness to learn is the first step in RV'ing as every trip is an adventure and education even if there are no problems with the coach.

Yes, while under warranty you can take the coach to any Thor Authorized service center for repairs. With some dealers, however, if you didn't buy the coach from them you may not get priority consideration when making an appointment. Also keep in mind, the good service centers could have long wait times to get in the door. Also, if you purchase an extended warranty, different dealers sell different products and not all dealers accept all extended warranties. Get the info on the extended warranty program before purchasing as do a couple of hours of research before you but. From my research most service departments hate the Good Sam (Camping World) extended warranty because they are difficult to work with and take to long before approving warranty repairs.

When you decide to purchase, inform the dealer you will not sign any paperwork, other than the offer, prior to a successful PDI. If you sign the paperwork, loan agreements etc... before the PDI you own the coach before the inspection. If you insist on the PDI before signing they have the incentive to fix issues found so they can deliver and officially sell the coach. Also, in my state (Virginia) there is no cooling off period when buying an RV. Unlike some states we do not have the customary 72 hours to change our mind. Don't get caught up in the sign, failed PDI, coach back in service department for 2 months while you are paying for the loan, plates, insurance etc...I have talked to folks that made that mistake and had to make 3 payments on the rig before they got to drive it off the dealer's lot.

With my coach the process was research (a couple of weeks), visit the dealer to tour the coach, negotiate the purchase (2 hours), think about it (24 hours), made the offer with conditions of sale (interest rate on loan, no payment for 90 days, valve extenders and vent covers at dealer expense) and list of initial items found, PDI with very minor items listed for future repair, sign all contracts and vehicle titling documents, drove it home (120 miles). Since I had a 30 AMP box installed on the house for my prior coach, I was able to full hook up in the driveway and test all systems with on a repeated basis. You can do this with a 1 or 2 night trip to a local campground with full hook ups.

My shake down cruise was scheduled for 4 days and 600 miles. Enjoyed it so much we extended our trip to 2 weeks and 1963 miles. Had a slide motor come unplugged at the second campground and after talking to Thor they authorized mobile service which I had to pay 90.00 and they are sending me a check.

Since then little warranty items are handled by me and if they require parts (e.g. bulb seal) I talked to Thor and they mail the parts. I need to call them again because the sent me the wrong style bulb seal but I'd rather have the coach in my driveway waiting rather than at the service department waiting.

Sorry this is long but hopefully it helps.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #27

THOR #1620
Quote:

The often asked question! Lol yes you can take to any Thor dealer but sometimes dealerships are finicky about if you didn't buy from them. I'm sure they would do it but you probably won't get preferential treatment. That's why I suggested to find a trusted dealer by others if you don't want to do do a lot of repairs. It's almost the same as having a banker and lawyer in your corner when you need them. obviously the hope is you won't need them for anything g serious. So people find an independent rv mobile mechanic. They just work for the money and often will work with your warranty if you have one. I would trust the mobile guy more than the dealership personally.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
My tagline is more than just a cute phrase, it's the unfortunate truth:

The only thing that works on a RV is the owner.

At some point, you are going to have to figure out how to do some of this stuff yourself.

True, not many of us can do suspension and engine work - and neither can I (so I am not suggesting that), but you can fix the minor stuff such as loose screws, busted trim pieces, leaky tail lights, and the like. You will be far better off learning how to fix it (and fix it correctly) rather than giving your RV to the dealer for months to have them fix it to factory standards.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
As an example of the kind of DIY stuff people have done with their Axis/Vegas look in these threads:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...egas-1345.html

Speaking of leaky taillights this thread shows my solution:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...axis-1433.html

One of the more intricate DIY mods is the ongoing black tank monitor that FW28z and myself are undertaking:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...nsor-1177.html
Old 04-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #30

THOR #1887
This is great information and I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. A couple more questions:

I keep seeing comments on the boards about vent covers. Are those the covers on the fans in the living room and bedroom or are they something else?

On my first inspection/test drive (nothing signed) the drivers seat is very difficult to swivel around to center. The arm rest seems to get in the way. Is there a sequence/trick to that or does that indicate something is out of whack (technical term

I am going to get on the roof and look around for splits, gaps, and other obvious issues but is there anything else? Is there a seam between roof and side panels?

Should I have them take the dog house (?) off and look at that?

Also, where is the valve stem on the second tire (inside back tire)? I plan to test those as well. Anyone using nitrogen in their tires?

They are bringing in another one for me to look at but not sure when that will be in so I am headed back there today armed with more questions for them and to look at the coach they have more closely. I figure it only helps me to inspect the one they have since I can get familiar with the RV and I might have a fall back not that one if the other is unacceptable.

Thanks for the information, patience and links to other discussions.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I didn't see where anyone gave you a link for a PDI Here is one.
Doug's RV Checklist Page

Print out a couple copies. When you thin you have found the one you are going to buy, give that dealer a copy and tell this is what to expect when you do your PDI
Familiarize yourself with that PDI, take it with you when you go to pick it up, AND adhere to it. Plus don't pay them until you are satisfied that everything works. Make sure you understand how it works even if you have to go back thru it again.
If you have a video camera take it along and have somebody do the filming for you. Believe me, you aren't going to remember it all.
Good luck
Old 04-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #32
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
This is great information and I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. A couple more questions:

I keep seeing comments on the boards about vent covers. Are those the covers on the fans in the living room and bedroom or are they something else?

On my first inspection/test drive (nothing signed) the drivers seat is very difficult to swivel around to center. The arm rest seems to get in the way. Is there a sequence/trick to that or does that indicate something is out of whack (technical term

I am going to get on the roof and look around for splits, gaps, and other obvious issues but is there anything else? Is there a seam between roof and side panels?

Also, where is the valve stem on the second tire (inside back tire)? I plan to test those as well. Anyone using nitrogen in their tires?

They are bringing in another one for me to look at but not sure when that will be in so I am headed back there today armed with more questions for them and to look at the coach they have more closely. I figure it only helps me to inspect the one they have since I can get familiar with the RV and I might have a fall back not that one if the other is unacceptable.

Thanks for the information, patience and links to other discussions.
The vent covers are in fact covers for the living room, bedroom and bathroom. All coaches are different as to the number and types of vents in the coach. For example my prior coach had three vents while my Challenger has 2. The covers are also different based on the type of vent installed. My bathroom vent is a standard type with standard cover while the living/kitchen vent is a thermostatically controlled Fantastic Fan which requires a Fantastic Fan vent cover. I had mine installed as a condition of sale (after negotiating the coach sales price).

Inside duals wheels on most Thor products do not have valve extenders and often require the owner to crawl under the coach to check pressure. Again, I was armed with some info prior to the negotiations and a condition of sale was the installation of valve extenders on the rear duals (image attached). Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire valve 1.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	390

One additional note, go to Kiddie's web site and get a list of fire extinguisher recalls. Take that list with you and verify that the fire extinguisher installed in the coach is not on the recall list. If it is on the list have the dealer replace it before you take delivery. I speak from experience when I tell you that Thor has shipped RVs with recalled extinguishers and when I last spoke to them the solution was for me to buy a new extinguisher and they would reimburse the expense. I dealt with Kiddie directly and received a new extinguisher within a week.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishgrl
That sounds like something is wrong with the seat. Ours is very easy to swivel in either direction. It should be as easy as the passenger seat.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:40 AM   #34

THOR #1887
IF I move forward with a purchase I exact that I will be pressured to buy an extended warranty. I see that there are numerous ones out there…anyone have one that they like and find easy to deal with?

Thanks for the feedback on my other questions.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #35

THOR #1620
The drivers seat in my Ace I have to slide all the way back and straighten the seat back and make sure the steering wheel is all the way up before I can swivel mine all the way around. The arm rest has to be down till I get it turned around.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #36
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
IF I move forward with a purchase I exact that I will be pressured to buy an extended warranty. I see that there are numerous ones out there…anyone have one that they like and find easy to deal with?

Thanks for the feedback on my other questions.
First, and this is my opinion, if the dealership is pressuring you to do anything you should stop and walk away from that dealer.

Generally a dealer will sell the extended warranty for a company the are affiliated with or with whom they have a working relationship. Warranties include Good Sam, Easy Care, NMC just to name a few.

What you need to know before making a decision:

What does the extended warranty cover?
What is not covered by the extended warranty?
What is the deductible for the extended warranty?
What is the procedure for obtaining warranty repair?
What is the refund policy if the policy is terminated before the expiration date? Reasons for termination could be early pay off or trading the RV in on another coach?
Is the warranty transferrable and what is the transfer fee?

One thing I found is that if you purchase an extended warranty from a dealer and then trade the RV in at another dealer, it is the dealer where you bought the trade in that must process any paperwork for a refund of the extended warranty. This is true for any other services such as GAP insurance, road hazard on tires etc...

The purchase of an RV is like buying a house and thereby you should not feel pressured and walk away if you do. Until you sign on the dotted line you and not the dealer are in control. Only you can allow the dealer to take control.

Also, if a particular salesperson at that dealership is pressuring you, tell him to walk away and seek out someone else.
FMCA - F432054
Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #37

THOR #1620
Quote:
Honestly I doubt you will see anything that is important. You will be looking at the engine. I don't bother anymore looking at the engine as you can't work on much yourself anymore, if it breaks you just have to get it worked on. Computers put most shade tree mechanics out of business. Plus I don't know about the model you are looking at but my Ace it is a PITA to remove the doghouse. As long as it is running I don't care anymore what is under there.

Sounds like you are being very cautious in your decision and that is good. You will probabl find the obvious defects. The hidden ones you probably won't find till you use it and hopefully they will be minor.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293
Plus I don't know about the model you are looking at but my Ace it is a PITA to remove the doghouse. As long as it is running I don't care anymore what is under there
They are looking at an Axis or Vegas which it is also a PITA to remove the doghouse. The reason for removing it on these units is not to inspect the engine but to inspect the underside of the doghouse to see if there is enough insulation (or any insulation) for noise abatement. Some Axis/Vegas owners have reported that there was no insulation under the doghouse.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #39

THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
They are looking at an Axis or Vegas which it is also a PITA to remove the doghouse. The reason for removing it on these units is not to inspect the engine but to inspect the underside of the doghouse to see if there is enough insulation (or any insulation) for noise abatement. Some Axis/Vegas owners have reported that there was no insulation under the doghouse.
Ahhh, guess some of the workers must sleep through the day