Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
Posts: 3
New Solo Traveler from SC

Oh hello, I am a new RV owner, new widow and now have a Thor Siesta 2014
with a diesel sprinter. Lots to learn and I am really at basic stuff. Can anyone tell me the order of hooking up electric? For example, coach motor off, coach on STORE, hook-up electric off, plug in, then turn on hookup, then turn on coach to USE? Help appreciated.

Moving right along, I've been winterized. How do I "unwinterize."
Thanks for any help.
__________________

Bluffton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Challenger 37ND
State: Virginia
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffton View Post
Oh hello, I am a new RV owner, new widow and now have a Thor Siesta 2014
with a diesel sprinter. Lots to learn and I am really at basic stuff. Can anyone tell me the order of hooking up electric? For example, coach motor off, coach on STORE, hook-up electric off, plug in, then turn on hookup, then turn on coach to USE? Help appreciated.

Moving right along, I've been winterized. How do I "unwinterize."
Thanks for any help.
Turn off the pedestal breaker plug in then turn on the breaker.

My sequence is

Unload the car from the dolly if towing
Level
Electric and cable
Slides
Water
Sewer

De winterizing

Flush pink stuff from lines
Place water heater by pass in normal op mode
Open water heater pressure relief valve to fill Wh
Turn on water heater

Procedures vary between person and coach

BTW, welcome and using iPhone with little keys for fat fingers
__________________

dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
Posts: 3
Surge Protector & Flushing

OK, so, make sure the electric is first off at pedestal and in coach. Then plug in to pedestal, then turn breaker on? Right? And, have seen "educational" you tube stuff about surge protectors. What's your experience? Not mentioned when I bought the coach.

Sorry, but I do not really know how to "flush" the lines. Assume we are talking about first connecting to city water---related question about water pressure regulator also mentioned--. connect with drinking water hose to water hookup and then to coach---putting water in fresh water tank and then running it through various things such as sink, shower and flushing toilet. When do you stop? When is it safe to drink?

Promise I won't overwhelm your I-Phone fingers and understand the issue--my peeve is auto-completion with words I never typed!
Bluffton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffton
Sorry, but I do not really know how to "flush" the lines. Assume we are talking about first connecting to city water---related question about water pressure regulator also mentioned--. connect with drinking water hose to water hookup and then to coach---putting water in fresh water tank and then running it through various things such as sink, shower and flushing toilet. When do you stop? When is it safe to drink?
That is essentially it:
  • Connect city water hose
  • Turn on water
  • Go through each faucet turning on until water is no longer pink, do both hot & cold
  • Include shower, toilet, and outside shower
  • Turn off city water
Note that the pink antifreeze put in RV water systems is non-toxic and thus the water is always safe to drink--it may not taste too well though LOL.
Additionally people also sanitize their water system for safety and to remove the pink stuff taste. That is essentially putting a little bit of chlorine in the fresh water tank along with about a 1/2 tank of water; run through the flush procedure above using the water pump (but sniffing to smell the chlorine instead of watching for the pink to go away). Then you let the camper sit for some time to let the chlorine do its job. Finally, drain the water tank and run the flush again with either fresh water in the tank or the city water.
Typically I'll use a tank sanitizer like this one Camping World sells:
TastePURE Spring Fresh - Camco 40207 - Fresheners & Softeners - Camping World
JamieGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
dstankov's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Challenger 37ND
State: Virginia
Posts: 2,678
Surge protection iand pressure regulator s a good idea.

Has you water system been sanitized? If not that should be dewinterizing step one
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
Chester, VA
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
FMCA - F432054
dstankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Missouri
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffton View Post
CUT... And, have seen "educational" you tube stuff about surge protectors. What's your experience? Not mentioned when I bought the coach. ...CUT
Surge protectors are like insurance. You don't need them until you need them. I went for quite a few years without one and never had a problem. Then, a friend of ours had an issue at a park and it caused approx. $1,500 in damage. I bought a surge protector the next day.
pstandiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
aa9zz's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
Posts: 315
I suggest you ask the camp ground operator if someone there can stop by and give you a hand. I think other campers like to help others. I learn by reading but I learn better by observation.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
Posts: 3
Not sure about sanitized question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Surge protection iand pressure regulator s a good idea.

Has you water system been sanitized? If not that should be dewinterizing step one
So pink stuff out, flush, then chlorine-based solution in, then flush again? Thanks for the input on surge and pressure regulator. Surge protector I understand. Assume pressure regulator adjusts the pressure somehow going into the coach to the proper level if it is too high.

Thank you very much. I just keep telling myself I can do this!
__________________

Bluffton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical, winterize

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



ThorForums.com is not in any way associated with Thor Industries or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2