Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #1599
Hello, new Hurricane 34e owner

Hello all.....i have a new Hurricane, and we are on our maiden voyage as we write.. I have already found some answers to questions from this forum already. Thank you all from a newbie RV'R in San Antonio😃😃😃😃

Old 02-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Welcome and yes this site is full of good stuff. I just gotta know where to look. enjoy.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

THOR #937
Welcome,

From another recent 34e owner, (2014 model)! I hope you enjoy your new motorhome as much as we have in the past year!

Compared to the QC issues that some on this forum with Pallazo, Tuscany, Challenger, and ACE models, the Hurricane and Windsport owners are relatively problem free.

As with any new RV purchase, find and list EVERYTHING you can find that doesn't seem quite right, so that you can get it fixed under warranty.

Here is our truly horrid warranty-year experience:

My 34e's door step sheared the sprocket bolt that operates and supports the step on our first night out, (at Disney's Fort Wilderness). Then we realized the real horror!! The missing Thor Logo jewel sticker that was attached close to the entry door, fell off somewhere on Hwy 192, and left it's sticky residue on the shiny motorhome exterior wall! Oh, then the main rear bathroom fan motor started to squeal. Completely unacceptable! The foldout couch mattress was eventually found to be leaking at it's built-in pump. One night, (about six months and many nights out), the porch light burned out. We had to experience exterior entry darkness!! At about ten months, the front window privacy curtain backing started to disintegrate, (ok, so that one is annoying). And, (our only real BIG defect), also at ten months, the overhead drop-down bunk Lippert/Shwintec lift system chewed itself up and spit out parts of a worm gear.

Everything mentioned was repaired very well under warranty, (at Thor dealerships where I didn't purchase my motorhome), and no other issues. Our experience with our 34e has actually been non-horrid and very enjoyable. We are in CA, (no winterizing), so we go out all year long, at least two trips a month and have had a blast.

I have owned Winnebago and Fleetwood motorhomes and actually experienced much more extensive issues with them during their warranty period, (including a transmission replacement with the Winnie Vista).
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #4

THOR #1599
Hello and thanks, well we just got back from our first two night stay in the hurricane,overall, we really like it. Lots of small irritants, a bunch of electrical stuff not working...no real show stoppers though.....we did have very cold weather last few days in Texas, and we used the furnace on and off continuously during that time.It produced a light misty smoke in the coach, and I know I have read many posts saying new furnaces will need time to burn off oil on their parts. but as of this morning, after running it for 2 nights, it is still producing the light smoke....not enough to set off the smoke detectors, but can see it hovering in the cabin.......we kept one of the fans on and bathroom door open and cracked a window to vent.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
My wife has gotten down the smoke detector testing down pretty good. whenever she uses the stove it goes off. maybe I'll have to move it to another location. Like outside???
Old 02-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Every time my wife cooks toast we have a great wakeup alarm for the girls - smoke detector!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:29 PM   #7

THOR #1599
Ha, ha...I love it, we set if off once cooking also! Ok, soooo I looked all over for a separate carbon monoxide detector....are they standard? The smoke alarm is on the ceiling about abeam the entry door, but can't find anything else that looks like another detector (:
Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
In my 34 J the propane gas sensor is combined with the CO2 detector - in the back next to (behind) the bathroom door in the hallway.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote