Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #6782
New Vegas 24.1 owner

Traded in a 10 year old Navion. So far so good but documentation pack had a Ford Transit manual not a E-350, the powered front privacy shade is not programmed correctly. The chap from the dealership that walked us through the coach really didn't understand the AV/entertainment system interfaces and the composite Thor manual does not have a page dedicated to the Axis/Vegas model. Also missing the docs for the Jensen radio in the bedroom.

Planning a weekend shake down trip this coming weekend despite the forecasted rain. Looking forward to a king size bed that I don't have to climb up into, and the good visibility from the drivers seat. Will miss the economy of my 5 cyl turbo diesel but we're hoping the trade-offs are worth it. I know the dogs are already liking the additional room.

Rick & Paula
Camas, WA
2017 Vegas 24.1

Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.

Make sure you download a copy of Ed's crowd-sourced owner's manual (found here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html ). It will answer a lot of the questions that the generic Thor manual can't.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Did the same as you, traded an 08 Navion in on our almost new Vegas a couple of years ago. Like you, I miss the mpg of the diesel, but not the cramped space. Ours had the slide out the rear and was a head knocker if you were not careful.
Get a copy of Ed's manual like Jamie mentioned as it is far better than anything that Thor gives you.
I think you will like the additional space and arrangement once you get used to it and get it setup to suit. You may run across a few bugs or may be one of the few lucky ones that don't have any. In any case, ask on the form and you will get some help if needed.
Hope you have many happy and trouble free miles.
Happy trails
Old 03-20-2017, 01:12 AM   #4

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Welcome to the forum.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
New 24.1

Are you sure you have a E350? I am just curious because there have been many discussions on the forum about the '17 models and which chassis they have.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #6

THOR #6782
Well according Thor's web site specs for the 2017 Vegas
https://thormotorcoach.com/axis/specs/
It's an E-350 with a triton V10 engine. The Transit only comes in a V6 at best (I believe).
I will say the new tankless water heater is the bomb though. Thanks to all for the starter links.
fknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Check your VIN: Position 6 will be a 3 for an E350, or 4 for an E450:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...uide_Final.pdf

Its really the only way to be sure. Thor builds with what they have and then switches when they run out.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #8

THOR #3483
Thanks Jamie, There just has been so much conversation about the '17 models, I am curious as to what is really going on with recent purchases. The Ford Transit is a I-5 turbo diesel manufactured in Romania for Ford. The Mercedes Sprinter has the 3.0 liter v-6 turbo diesel from my observations at the RV shows.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #9

THOR #6782
Well that decides it. Looks like we were sold a Thor Vegas 24.1 on an E-450 chassis. THANKS.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Congratulations on your new coach!!! As you have already found out, lots of super nice people here always willing to help! Hope you enjoy many safe and happy miles!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #11

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
the Thor 2017 Specification page shows the 24.1 with an E350 and all other models with an E450. Okay!! And welcome to the forum!
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:11 AM   #12

THOR #5313
We have a 2016 24.1 on the e450 chassis. The engine/transmission combination is excellent. I tow a 6,000 open trailer with a drag car on it with no issues at all. I been able to tow at 75 MPH and still 10.4 MPG. It handled hills in the Carolinas without overworking brakes using tow/haul mode. Is my first Ford, I am impressed how good it works. Best of luck with your new machine.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:01 AM   #13

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknapp View Post
Well that decides it. Looks like we were sold a Thor Vegas 24.1 on an E-450 chassis. THANKS.
Good deal. Just need to know what you are dealing with in the future. I was not happy with the handling immediately after taking ours home with the previous promise prior to the PDI that the steering wheel pulling just prior to a stop would be fixed- it wasn't. Like everyone else, we learned that WE had to pay for an alignment which even our local Ford dealer that services the E450 did not have the equipment to do. The coach was taken to a local truck service center that did the alignment and had the Saf-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed. Drives like night and day and was a dream to drive from SoCal to Yellowstone last summer. We have been taking short weekend trips with our three smaller dogs since and we always have something to look forward to! Enjoy!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:01 AM   #14

THOR #6782
Maiden Voyage Observations

Completed our maiden shakedown camping weekend . Here's the results and observations:
1) Ignition key on one of the two supplied set of keys did not work. Had to get a new key made which worked perfectly.
2) Discovered heat balance was a bit "out of balance. Living/dining room/kitchen very warm, but bedroom was cold and with middle section of bed in place and the heat did not get up to the sleeping are from the vent underneath. (probably will upgrade to a digital version of the thermostat)
3) With both bathroom doors open, the hangup closet door handle could potentially impact the mirror on the rear bathroom door. (Yikes).
4) Rainy wet weekend and I could never totally get the condensation off the side cab interior windows making driving a bit challenging.
5) Use an old water pressure regulator I had from my old RV on the camp grounds water supply but flow was pretty wimpy and I don't think it allowed the on-demand hot water system to work correctly. Have since purchased a better quality regulator that regulates to 50-55PSI claiming to be optimum for RV showers. We'll see...
6) Loved the king size bed and so did the dogs.
7) The bottom 2 USB ports on the bedroom 4 port USB outlet did not work.
8) Chassis FM antenna is wimpy and FM stations that boom through in our car were weak or scratchy. (anybody done an antenna upgrade?)

Thoughts or Comments from you Axis/Vegas guys & gals?
Old 03-31-2017, 01:08 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
For the heat balance issue remove the cold air return from below the closet (it should be just 2 screws) and inspect the vent pipes coming off the furnace. You may find some kinked, bound up, scrunched, or not attached appropriately. Also inspect under the passenger bed looking for the same (this is where all your water valves are as well).

For the shower, just replace the shower head with one of those Oxygenics (Amazon) ones.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #16

THOR #6782
Additional Observations

Took a long maiden voyage from WA state to MN and back. (~2600 miles)
Issues to bring up with RV Dealer for warranty work.
1) Plastic molding on inside front windshield post came out of mount. Very Odd. Cosmetic
2) Front Radio cuts out if too hot (cab heat running). Disappointing
3) All USB outlets in bedroom are dead. Frustrating
4) Water Pump cavitates (sounds like a jack hammer) when running bathroom sink. (other water outlets: Toilet, kitchen sink, shower, not so much)
5) Slow leak in passenger side inner dualy. Dangerous
6) Sewer discharge flange has deadly screws surrounding fitting that rip you hands to bloody shreds when connecting discharge hose. No room to connect my legacy macerater. SIGH

Handling was as expected in MT & ND head & side winds. Not much the dealer or Thor can do about that. Significant MPG hit.
Desperately need DC outlet in bedroom for CPAP for dry camping.
Bathroom faucet will be upgraded very soon. Drives me nuts that the rotation of the knobs is just "Wrong" maybe that will fix the cavitation. We're getting used to the On Demand Hot Water.
We put short legs on the removable cushion in the bed room and it now doubles as a foot stool in the living room. The wife sewed a "pleather" cover so our feet don't soil the upholstery. I really must take some photos to share. Brilliant
Old 04-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknapp View Post
Took a long maiden voyage from WA state to MN and back. (~2600 miles)
Issues to bring up with RV Dealer for warranty work.
1) Plastic molding on inside front windshield post came out of mount. Very Odd. Cosmetic
2) Front Radio cuts out if too hot (cab heat running). Disappointing
3) All USB outlets in bedroom are dead. Frustrating
4) Water Pump cavitates (sounds like a jack hammer) when running bathroom sink. (other water outlets: Toilet, kitchen sink, shower, not so much)
5) Slow leak in passenger side inner dualy. Dangerous
6) Sewer discharge flange has deadly screws surrounding fitting that rip you hands to bloody shreds when connecting discharge hose. No room to connect my legacy macerater. SIGH

Handling was as expected in MT & ND head & side winds. Not much the dealer or Thor can do about that. Significant MPG hit.
Desperately need DC outlet in bedroom for CPAP for dry camping.
Bathroom faucet will be upgraded very soon. Drives me nuts that the rotation of the knobs is just "Wrong" maybe that will fix the cavitation. We're getting used to the On Demand Hot Water.
We put short legs on the removable cushion in the bed room and it now doubles as a foot stool in the living room. The wife sewed a "pleather" cover so our feet don't soil the upholstery. I really must take some photos to share. Brilliant
Hi, we removed one of the bedroom light fixtures and installed a 12volt accessory outlet. This allowed me to plug in the CPAP 12volt cord. We also set the outlet up to be switched to ensure there's no power drain. Some outlets you may buy have an LED indicator and will draw power over time.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...4&d=1465868411
Old 04-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
our 2016 24.1 (E450) has an outlet on the underside of the overhead cabinets in the bedroom and an outlet in the overhead cabinet in corner, over the bedroom tv .

Also, regarding the Jensen radio in the bedroom...you might want to go into the settings and shutdown the backlight, as it is a bleed on your battery.

Your USB charging station might have loose wires...some owners, have had the same problem and have pulled off the face plate and found same.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:08 AM   #19

THOR #6782
Foot Stool from King Bed Bolster Divider

Here are some photos of the mod we did to the base of King bed divider creating a foot stool for the living room couch. Easy Peasy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170501_094144.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	4795   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170501_094239.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	4796  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170501_094319.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	4797  
Old 05-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #20

THOR #6782
Inspection reveals wires are good behind cover plate. I even checked for 12VDC. It would appear the dual 12v to USB jacks have failed internally.