Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34P
State: California
THOR #5941
New windsport 34P

Hello to all,

Picked up a new windsport 34P a couple of weeks ago. So far so good as far as quality goes. A couple areas that are a little concerning...

Headlights are fairly dim. Ordered some H9 LED bulbs to brighten things up a bit.

Wiring in the dash is carelessly done. The backup camera switch box was hanging down below the radio, supported by the cables.. Not cool. Most of the wiring seems to be shoved under things in hopes it will stay put. Ugh. My OCD will force me to remove the dash and properly route the wires.

Radio is complete trash. Will probably wait for it to croak the replace it with a nice Pioneer or Alpine.

Backup camera is useless at night. Thor should have used a night vision capable camera. Will most likely install a recon light bar in the back, that will get activated in reverse via the 7 pin on the class 4 hitch. I am hoping the extra light in the rear will help with the rear camera.

Sewer drain cover, on the bottom of the box where the sewer pipe is, is too damn close to the drain pipe. Hopefully a 90 degree adapter will allow a sewer line to utalize the bottom sewer port.

Front engine cover would not open.. I had to use a trim tool at the top of the cover to get the cover to swing out and up. Some silicon lubercant on the swing arms corrected this.

On the plus side...

Kitchen layout rocks.

Dual sinks, away from the shower/toilet is a huge plus.

Decent equipment for HDMI switching. Already hooked up a media server with WiFi access.

Ford Chassis seems decent, and coach goes down the road straight.

Tons of outlets.. would be nice to swap out some of the outlets with combo USB/power outlet.

Systems where fairly straight forward and easy to figure out, even without documentation.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Ah, the joys of owning a motorhome! Congratulations on your new coach, once you get the annoyances fixed I bet you'll love it! I hope you and your family enjoy many happy and safe miles!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogpilot
Sewer drain cover, on the bottom of the box where the sewer pipe is, is too damn close to the drain pipe. Hopefully a 90 degree adapter will allow a sewer line to utalize the bottom sewer port.
Before trying to fix things grab the sewer outlet and see if it rotates--it does on our Axis. You can twist it up and out of the way of the cover. It may be stiff at first. If it does rotate you wouldn't need the 90: twist it up with the cover on, take the cover off and twist it all the way down.

Congratulations.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Congrats on the new coach!

I think we are all in agreement on the dash radio and wiring situation. My backup camera does seem to have a night vision option as my tow vehicle is clearly visible at night and even backing up has some pretty clear visibility. More light would definitely help, though. We also swapped out several outlets for combo 110/USB outlets, as you mentioned.

Enjoy!!!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 34P
State: California
THOR #5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Before trying to fix things grab the sewer outlet and see if it rotates--it does on our Axis. You can twist it up and out of the way of the cover. It may be stiff at first. If it does rotate you wouldn't need the 90: twist it up with the cover on, take the cover off and twist it all the way down.

Congratulations.
Thanks for the tip. Will have to try this.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 30 FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #6012
Goodness, what about quality control before it leaves the factory. Should be someone making sure everything is working,not the buyer.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
A little silicone spray makes it easy to swivel.