Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #5251
Newbies from Central Maryland

Hello, This is Jim and Teresa Gallion. We bought our Thor Axis 24.1 in August of this year and love it so far!
Still working out minor kinks, Etc,
Anyone have experience on how to check and maintain the chassis battery!?
I hear it is under the portable desk on the passenger side?
Tips ? And, can I attach a trickle charge/maintainer to it and leave the wires there and plug in as necessary?
Thanks in advance
Jim

Old 11-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Quote:
Tips ? And, can I attach a trickle charge/maintainer to it and leave the wires there and plug in as necessary?
I added a qwik-fill to the chassis battery and wires for the trickle charger. Was able to access the battery from the front.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Welcome to the forum. Yes, the battery is a little awkward to access. Like some others here, I have added a quik-fill kit to make it easier to service. I use an empty ketchup bottle(Dollar Tree) to fill with instead of the expensive pump. The piece hose for the quik-fill slips on the tapered end of the bottle. I added a disconnect switch on top of the neg. terminal also which keeps the battery from draining while in storage since I don't have access to shore power there.
You can add a trickle charger for your batteries if you have access to shore power while in storage, but you may want to check and see if you already have a charge on your chassis battery from shore power. There was thread going on this very topic yesterday. Seems that some chassis batteries are being charged and some are not. Easy to check with a volt meter.