Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
New 24.1 Vegas Owner!

Hello Motor coach owners,

Just purchased a Vegas on 8-31-15 and took it out once on a two night shake down. Found several item and issues that dealer will take care of within the next few months. We are excited about our new RUV and can't wait to go out again in the near future.

My wife and I live just south of Nashville TN. and have been retired for a few years. We just decided that the next 5 years would be a great time to travel while our health is with us. Our children are grown and we have 4 grandchildren we would like to take camping with us one day.

I have never used or participated in forum activities but I plan to visit this site regularly to glean information about its use and ideas to make our RVing more enjoyable. I have almost completed reading all the information Thor has giving us about the appliances, E-350, generator, etc... and find them very interesting and informative. After reading most I realized how many more questions I should have asked during our walk thru. Just focused on items that needed correcting.

Looking forward to chatting with all the Vegas and Axis owners

"What ever you do let it be done well"

Angelo and Diane
Columbia, TN 38401

Old 10-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Welcome and congratulations.

Make sure you read through this thread: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...rive-2308.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Welcome. And congratulations on purchasing the Vegas. Come here often -- lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here to answer any of your questions.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decisions! You'll find a lot of collective knowledge here, You can search for Vegas Axis for past posts.

Some of our retired friends use their RV a lot, and found, like we have, that that there is beauty, adventure and nice people almost everywhere you go in this great country. Some folks are planners and some are wanderers.

A wise person once said, "The key to successful travel is to take half as many clothes, and twice as much money!"

Whatever your travel style, enjoy the journey!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #2902
We just bought a new 2016 Thor Axis 24.1 on 9-29-15 and live in the north suburbs of Atlanta! We are excited to take ours out as well and learn more from this forum. Please read the above post from Jamie Geek about the E350 won't shift out of drive. Our new 2016 Axis has an E450 Chassis. The window sticker also shows the Product Chassis as the E450. We showed the mechanic the thread and pictures and he said the cables are a different configuration and that we shouldn't have the same problem. Don't know if this applies to your Vegas but I would definitely have them take a look and check it out. Maybe all of the above problems have caused Ford to make some changes... We did purchase the Good Sam Extended Warranty and are taking the next 30 days to decide if it was a good choice since it has a 30 day cancellation policy. Enjoy!!!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always a Hawkeye!
E450 which is standard now for the 2016 Vegas/Axis
If they made this change it is really recent because both the Axis/Vegas pages still list 12,500 as the GVWR (E-350). The E-450 has a GVWR of 14,500.

It is possible that Ford has introduced a running fix once problems started showing up, though.

If its your dealer that told you about the E-450's being standard I'd be highly suspect: Dealers are quite well known for making stuff up just to make a sale or to make you feel better about your purchase.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #7

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
To the newbies,

Welcome aboard. Do not feel reluctant to post questions. We have had our 2016 Vegas 24.1 (on the E350) for just over 4 months. We have learned a lot about the Thor line up, asked a lot of questions and offered some advice.

Advice: Keep the units clean while camping, LOTS of people want to "look inside" when you show up at a campsite!!!

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #8

State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
E-450 Wow! I just bought a 2016 Vegas and still has the E-350. What is the best way to find out what model year vehicle I bought? Sticker on window indicated 2016, the under carriage was made in April 2015 and Thor delivered the Vegas to dealer at the end of may. I wonder when the new model year starts for motor homes. That info could be included in the VIN, I'll check. Dealer info said 2016
Old 10-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

THOR #2902
THOR currently is replacing all E350 chassis in their Class C's and Vegas/Axis models to E450. This may not be a permanent change but IS the current fix due to a problem meeting CAFE standards.
Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) are US regulations related to DOT, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Energy Policy and Conservation Act (EPCA).
I received this information from George in customer service today!
Old 10-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #10

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
Welcome. We've got a great group here, growing every day.

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always a Hawkeye! View Post
We just bought a new 2016 Thor Axis 24.1 on 9-29-15 and live in the north suburbs of Atlanta! We are excited to take ours out as well and learn more from this forum. Please read the above post from Jamie Geek about the E350 won't shift out of drive. Our new 2016 Axis has an E450 Chassis. The window sticker also shows the Product Chassis as the E450. We showed the mechanic the thread and pictures and he said the cables are a different configuration and that we shouldn't have the same problem. Don't know if this applies to your Vegas but I would definitely have them take a look and check it out. Maybe all of the above problems have caused Ford to make some changes... We did purchase the Good Sam Extended Warranty and are taking the next 30 days to decide if it was a good choice since it has a 30 day cancellation policy. Enjoy!!!
Does your brand new Axis with E-450 chassis have the new 6-speed 6R140 transmission? That in itself would explain a different configuration reported by your mechanic.

An E-450 chassis with up to 14,500 pound GVWR would open the door to longer floorplans as well as multiple slides that many on this forum have expressed interest in.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #12

THOR #2902
I do not think the engine changed, just the chassis.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always a Hawkeye! View Post
I do not think the engine changed, just the chassis.
That's why I asked about the transmission, not the engine.

The engine will remain the same between Ford model years 2015 and 2016.

The transmission on the other hand is being upgraded from 5-speed 5R110 in 2015 to 6-speed 6R140 in 2016.

Please note Ford and Thor model years may be different. A 2016 Thor Axis may be built on a 2015 Ford chassis.

I'm mainly wondering if 2016 Ford chassis are being used on Axis/Vegas yet.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #14

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Chance you are correct. I have a 2016 Vegas built in May of 2016 on a 2015 E-350 Chassis.

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote