Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Picking up my 1st RV on Wed & could use a lil advice

Hi everyone;

It took a few weeks longer than I had expected to purchase my 1st RV. I had intended to by a used Veas/Axis 24.1 but ended up choosing an A.C.E. 30.2 (bunks).

I'm a disabled vet plannin to travel fulltine w/my service dog & decided his kennel goes on the bottom bunk of the ACE better than the 2nd twin in a Vegas/Axis.

Anyway, I pick it up on Wednesday and have a walk thru scheduled. I'm a bit worried bc I have no experience with that & don't want to destroy my battlebuddy's (Radar the Boxer) fancy new home on our sketchilly planned (so far) shakedown run

Any RV ol' timers or vets out there that can square us away???

Thanks,
Soldier Girl & Radar (the boxer)

Old 01-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
A dog is a dog and they don't know the difference...he will love RVing an traveling around. Check everything on the coach and make sure everything works BEFORE closing the deal. If it has any issues, do not pay or close on it until they have EVERYTHING working and prove it to you. They will want to do the paperwork, then politely show you everything after you sign...NOT! Walk through, check everything...then, if you're comfortable, close the deal. Can't stress this enough. RV sales people don't care if you're a vet, disabled, a thief, homeless, The Pope or The President...they just want your money and for you to leave.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Even though you are getting the ACE - download Ed Felker's Axis/Vegas manual. There is a Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) section for which a lot will apply to your ACE (as will many other parts of the manual.)
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

My best advice is to take your time - try EVERYTHING - and be sure any issues are addressed before you sign the final papers and give them your money. Sales people have much more incentive to fix things quickly when they are waiting for money.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #4

THOR #13770
Thanks, so even though I have a check made out to them to bring in from USAA, I still have paperwork left to complete when I get there? I know they'll have paperwork for me to file in my state, I guess I should have realized it. Appreciate the advice.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
During your walk thru, use your phone (or video camera) to record the explanations of all the systems so you can review as needed.
take enough clothing/food/bedding/cooking pots & pans/cups & TP! to last a couple of days..
THEN "Dry Camp" at the dealers lot using EVERYTHING in the RV.. From "leveling" the coach to cooking,fridge, showers, heat, A/C's and filling the fresh water tanks/dumping the black & gray tanks, TV's, running the generator under load (true dry camping-NOT hooked to shore power) and then try being hooked up to shore power/water/sewer as well....
It is preferred to find all the things that need attention and get 'em fixed....BEFORE you leave the dealer., (Hopefully it is NOT Crappy World)

As several have stated.. The "Dealer" is only interested in your money and after the sale may just turn their back on you..
AND...IF they refuse to let you test drive the coach & doing a full PDI before signing anything..WALK away! There are other dealers of those brands..

Good Luck & Happy Trails
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

THOR #13770
Thank you, I will try the link immediately!
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #7

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
During your walk thru, use your phone (or video camera) to record the explanations of all the systems so you can review as needed.
take enough clothing/food/bedding/cooking pots & pans/cups & TP! to last a couple of days..
THEN "Dry Camp" at the dealers lot using EVERYTHING in the RV.. From cooking,fridge, showers, heat, A/C's and filling the fresh water tanks/dumping the black & gray tanks, TV's, running the generator under load (true dry camping-NOT hooked to shore power) and then try being hooked up to shore power/water/sewer as well....
It is preferred to find all the things that need attention and get 'em fixed....BEFORE you leave the dealer.,

As several have stated.. The "Dealer" is only interested in your money and after the sale may just turn their back on you..
AND...IF they refuse to let you test drive the coach & doing a full PDI before signing anything..WALK away!

Good Luck & Happy Trails
So, the dealer shouldn't have a problem with dry camping out there? I love that idea! It's a Camping World in VA. If's supposed to snow on Wednesday, too. I had hoped the snow would hold off before I head for Florida or Tx to set up a domicile in an RV friendly state, the one I landed in at discharge is decidedly unfriendly. Thanks so much, Soldier Girl
Old 01-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #8

THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
So, the dealer shouldn't have a problem with dry camping out there? I love that idea! It's a Camping World in VA. If's supposed to snow on Wednesday, too. I had hoped the snow would hold off before I head for Florida or Tx to set up a domicile in an RV friendly state, the one I landed in at discharge is decidedly unfriendly. Thanks so much, Soldier Girl
INSIST that you "Stay Put" while trying everything out..If it snows it snows...(and will be a good opportunity to check for leaks) You Have a roof over your head and heat! (don't forget to fill the gas & propane tanks.or the TP!
Thor Infinity
Old 01-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

THOR #11130
Is this a new or used coach? Have you seen it or has this been an over the phone deal? What do you mean by "RV friendly" state? They most likely will not let you sleep in this RV before buying it so make sure you do all you can do before purchase. Do not hand them the check until all is satisfactory with you. Don't even let them smell it...it makes them crazy. Also...as tough as it may be, don't let them suck you into all the extended warranty, paint protector crap, etc., especially if this is a new coach.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
RV sales people don't care if you're a vet, disabled, a thief, homeless, The Pope or The President...they just want your money and for you to leave.
Until they screw over the wrong person...
Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #11

THOR #13770
Will do, Sir! I really like that idea. Let me know if you think of anything else. Y'all on Thor Forums have been a great help since I 1st freaked out my family w/my determination to bail on the 'normal' civvie world. Because of all the support that helped me find resources to show my family the viability of fulltime Rving these days, they now are supporting my choice all the way. I so appreciate this new help in making sure I start my 1st venture out right, before I even get out the gate! Thanks again
Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #12

THOR #11130
You think you're gonna make an RV salesidiot something different than what they are?...good luck with that one!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #13

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Is this a new or used coach? Have you seen it or has this been an over the phone deal? What do you mean by "RV friendly" state? They most likely will not let you sleep in this RV before buying it so make sure you do all you can do before purchase. Do not hand them the check until all is satisfactory with you. Don't even let them smell it...it makes them crazy. Also...as tough as it may be, don't let them suck you into all the extended warranty, paint protector crap, etc., especially if this is a new coach.
It's new, or less than 900 miles, anyway. I had wanted used due to everything I had learned on the forums and elsewhere. I know most people say buy used due to the upside down financing & spending a great deal of the 1st year taking care of warranty covered issues. I had intended to, but each RV I traveled to see used, as far away as 34 states from Md, had deal breakers - mildew/mold that made my eyes water but the sellers swear they couldnt smell or feel & one run for my epipens when an RV that "never had any pets" had obviously been the home of a cat. Finally, I found a used one that fit the bill in all but price. The "new" 2018 ACE 30.2 was selling for 20k less than a used 2017 Axis 24.1. It fit my already pre approved financing through USAA including fees, taxes, etc - so I purchased it. The check gets turned over to them on Wednesday & I have the walk thru scheduled the same day. I'm prepared to hurry up & wait, to move slow is smooth, etc during this 1st year - I'm in no hurry to get anywhere except out of the normal civvie world that is, for me, maddenly empty of mission, self absorbed, & grindingly pountless. My youngest kid is finished with high school & looking forward to his own adventures in a college rotc or maybe wait for a straight ocs usmc commision & my older kids & now grandkids are all doing well. I have enough as a 100% dav & a mini opm retirement to live better than I thought, & I have a small Llc that seems to be mobile ready should I want a little cushion. Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #14

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Everyone looks like they have given you all the great advice you need, so welcome to the forum. They are correct, make sure everything works before you close the deal.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #15

THOR #13770
Thanks, CoachRay, I appreciate everyone's feedback, and I look forward to learning more about how a forum works; to my embarrassment, I've never entered, or used one, until this Thor Forums, so I appreciate everyone's patience with my replies, etc (I'm a bit technophobic, my father always said I shoulda' been born in the 1800's, I can't disagree with that!)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #16

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

congrats on your new adventure.

buying form a dealership I assume...
What to expect...Most likely they will assign a person to give you what they call a pre-delivery inspection....PDI
basically that person will walk you through the unit and explain how things work and answer questions. They will likely try to keep it quick and brief.
My advice...keep it slow. Open and close everything. Operate every switch and system to verify things work. ask any question you have. Crawl over, under, and through if you are able...
A lot of that depends on how handy you are...guessing good given your Cavalry experience...
When I did mine, I ended up taking several hours...something like 4-6 if my memory serves... I watched folks on units parked next to mine come and go doing their PDI's...several cycled through in the time I took. i showed up with tools, battery tester(although the unit was plugged in when I arrived so I couldn't find out till the next day that the house battery was nearly shot.) I tried to operate every system.. water system on city supply and on pump form tank....filled and drained the tanks to verify no leaks and function... tried to flip every switch, etc...
brought a pad of paper and kept a list. the PDI tech found several things but I found many more to list.... made a list for them to fix BEFORE I finished signing the papers.

Even still, after the deal...we took the rig to a nearby state park and loaded all the stuff out of our old popup camper and set up for the first night. That first evening I found that the attach points for the windshield curtain were missing (I didn't try it before, thought that was too basic and obvious). Also found several other little things...drawer slides or latches not aligned, loose screws and such...almost all of which were no big deal to fix myself...but my point is don't assume anything is too simple to skip.

Expect the house battery to be questionable. I figure most have at some point while on the dealer's lot or in transit have been discharged deep enough to do harm...from lights left on overnight, etc... it might hold some charge but might not hold full.

I like the advice to stay close. I'd try to stay on the dealership's lot the first night with a standing service appointment the next day to address little things you find once you move in.

I hope that doesn't scare you....I was perhaps overly thorough and in my experience was mostly all little stuff.

Most of all, have fun with it!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
As you make your way south if you need any assistance just reach out to this forum. In addition to advice on the forum many members are vets and some retired and that would welcome the opportunity to help you out in person as needed. I'm in North Florida (Lake City) where I-75 and I-10 cross but I know we have members in the Jacksonville area as well.

Congratulations on your new rig and I hope you enjoy many happy years and miles with it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #18

THOR #13770
Thanks Blw2; nope, doesn't scare me, it assures me. I'm a combat medic, & tho I'm good at thinkin on my feet & coming up w/hundred mile an hour tape improvs for missing or wrong medic supplies, I didn't havta spend much time in he motor pool & as far as generators etc, well, you probably know that soldiers take good care of three categories of folks in their company, their 1st Sgt, Supply Sgt, & the Medics, lol. So now I'm going to pay a price & have a steep learning curve for not paying much attention to those critical non medic skills that most soldiers learn to do upside down & in their sleep. On the other hand, if I ever get into trouble far from the civvie world while boondocking, I taught "primal" skills in my platoon & company - the 1st ever not direct combat related in the 1st Cav, about a yr before the 1st Gulf war (as I told our then Ranger C.O., most scenarios involving survival needs happen bc we did something drop dead stupid without any rambo style resources on hand - he agreed!). So I guess I'm set if it's in the desert for a month or so, not sure about tundra or arctic or jus plain midwestern winter - but I'd give myself decent odds (at least for the knowledge, my body might not agree these days, lol!). I would like to take an RV Bootcamp as soon as one comes available to work on my mechanic skills some. My high tech skills are non existant... Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #19

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
As you make your way south if you need any assistance just reach out to this forum. In addition to advice on the forum many members are vets and some retired and that would welcome the opportunity to help you out in person as needed. I'm in North Florida (Lake City) where I-75 and I-10 cross but I know we have members in the Jacksonville area as well.

Congratulations on your new rig and I hope you enjoy many happy years and miles with it.
Thanks Tfryman; I hope to be down that way within the month. I have a big brother in Daytona that wants a visit. I know there's an rv domicile/mail fwding group or rv park of some type (maybe its thru Excapees?), somewhere between Daytona & Tampa, that I may go check out. If that doesn't fit my needs I'll check outthe one in Tx, as I've got some extra vet privileges in Tx bc it was both my inprocessing & outprocessing military home of record, despite the 10 year detour in Md. I'm glad to find there are more vets doing the fulltiming or some variation of, than I'd initially thought. But I guess I should have figured that out much faster than I did, lol!
Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #20

THOR #3916
After taking a "virtual tour" of your new home..
Hit Wally World for a baking pan set for a toaster oven and buy a package of Hamilton-Beach baking mats (cut them down to size to fit the pans) for using in the gas oven...
the deep pan is just right for meat loafs & such, the cookie sheet is just right for biscuits and to put Stauffers frozen entrée's in to even out the heat (using the silicone mat). (Escalloped chicken is really good)

Get a small crock pot (removable crock) that will fit in the sink, using the inverter you can cook many things while traveling).. We did a pork roast for 8 hours while driving to the campground Thanksgiving..YUM!
AND..
Don't forget "3-2-1" cake!
1 box of Angelfood cake mix (MUST be Angelfood)
1 box of other cake mix (I like chocolate)
1 gallon sized freezer zip lock bag
pour both mixes into the zip lock bag and mix well (dry so can be stored in a cupboard)

to prepare
3 big table spoons of mix into a custard cup (or coffee cup will work)
2 tablespoons of water into the cup
stir well
1 minute in the microwave
add diced fruit or ice cream

ENJOY!
Thor Infinity

Tags
1st shakedown cruise?, 1st walk thru advice?, vet w/servicdog advice?