Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Thanks Lizard2112

Old 01-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #42

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Thanks so much for the well wishes, Lizard2112, I'm very excited. Tomorrow is the big day!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #43

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I know it is a lot, and a lot of good advice, but have them explain the leveling system, so much so, they actually demonstrate a manual over ride to return th jacks up.

We didn't do that, sure enough, third trip out, jacks go into error, in haste did not read manual.
Cracked a line loose to manually lift the cylinder rod.
Got home, read the manual, then ran the pump motor the wrong way with a drill motor.
Alls good now.

But a hands on demo first would have paid off because there is just so so much... awning, slide out, a/c, fridge, propane, leveling, it all gets lost...
Old 01-13-2019, 01:43 AM   #44

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
New vs used

Buying new is great as long as you know there is a learning curve with it. You should try out everything in the unit many times on short trips and write down anything that needs to be corrected by the dealer. My first motor home had many issues the first year. Now in my 2nd motor home and I have had very few issues. I try to make sure everything is working as it should before the warranty expires.Make a wish list of things you need to buy to make life easier on the road (surge protector, heated water line for winter use, tools, spare tire...). Every time you go out, have a notebook ready to write down ideas or concerns before your next trip. Check out You Tube on specific items/systems you have on your motor home to see how they work or how to fix them.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #45

Model: Hurricane
State: Virginia
THOR #11117
Great feedback. It's a bit overwhelming when you buy your first coach.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:42 PM   #46

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMerritt View Post
Great feedback. It's a bit overwhelming when you buy your first coach.
Absolutely true! However, this is the way I eased into my RV was:

1. First night was a one nighter at a full service friendly local RV park.
2. Second, third, fourth, and fifth trip was two nighters at the closest state parks.
3. Sixth trip was back to back 2 nighters at different local state parks a little further away.
4. Seventh and subsequent trips are back to back to back, etc. 2 nighters at different state parks.

I now feel very confident in setting up and taking down my rigs in a variety of settings. Additionally the short distances allowed me to get used to driving something three times large than I had driven in the past 50 years. In between the trips I was able to get the RV into the dealer to get the things Thor didn't do correctly fixed.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:28 AM   #47

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #5210
Rv

Well i hope it turns out good for you but i have my doubts Thor is crap and if it doesnt fall apart you will be one of the lucky few.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #48
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
Well i hope it turns out good for you but i have my doubts Thor is crap and if it doesnt fall apart you will be one of the lucky few.
Obviously you haven't read any of the threads full of post by users whose Thor has not "fallen apart". Thor has it's quality control issues as do all RV manufacturers but your post is unnecessarily cynical in a forum whose main purpose is to communicate information on the use of RVs and help in overcoming problems as they arise.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:20 AM   #49

THOR #7607
Welcome Soldier Girl
I purchased my ACE at CW in Roanoke VA. They actually encouraged new owners to hook up and spend the night. Sounds like the negotiations are about over but you can and should insist that every question is answered and every problem is corrected. Hopefully you don't have time commitments that would cause you to leave before everything is satisfactory. Whether it takes all day or longer. You will be in the driver's seat, make the most of it.
My recommendation would be to get your RV aligned as one of your first upgrades. Some folks get it put into the deal. I would recommend a Ford truck center. Car dealerships are too small. Ford delivers the chassis to Thor who puts tons of weight on it. They claim that they re-align them. But many folks like me had to buy an alignment and a couple of new tires after just a few months of ownership. Alignments are not covered by Ford or Thor. Some say they were able to get reimbursed by Thor, but it didn't work out that way for me.
As for using the quote tool, it's not needed if you are bantering back and forth on a single topic. It is handy if you want to reference a particular post so that your response is taken in context to the post you intended.
We're rooting for you and your pup!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:23 AM   #50

THOR #7607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Thanks dbsck27! I didn't know about S.M.A.R.T.! As for being a wannabe? We both were wannabes before this past Saturday evening. It's kind of like the first time we raised our hands, one moment we were "sorry civilians" as are Drills put it, & that moment seemed fraught with the unknown & the next moment we weren't. It felt like such a difficult task to get started with the RV life I wanted, but as soon as I esigned my loan with USAA, it felt like that same moment so many years ago & though I still don't know sheis, & the unknown is still unknown - I feel that same sense of exhilaration I did way back when & I know I won't be sorry - I was sorry 3 days ago, lol! Don't bother calling yourself a wannabe dbeck27, bc you're a willbe & cando - you proved it long ago, and thanks so much!

[QUOTE=ComputerChips;162572]Welcome Soldier Girl
I purchased my ACE at CW in Roanoke VA. They actually encouraged new owners to hook up and spend the night. Sounds like the negotiations are about over but you can and should insist that every question is answered and every problem is corrected. Hopefully you don't have time commitments that would cause you to leave before everything is satisfactory. Whether it takes all day or longer. You will be in the driver's seat, make the most of it.
My recommendation would be to get your RV aligned as one of your first upgrades. Some folks get it put into the deal. I would recommend a Ford truck center. Car dealerships are too small. Ford delivers the chassis to Thor who puts tons of weight on it. They claim that they re-align them. But many folks like me had to buy an alignment and a couple of new tires after just a few months of ownership. Alignments are not covered by Ford or Thor. Some say they were able to get reimbursed by Thor, but it didn't work out that way for me.
As for using the quote tool, it's not needed if you are bantering back and forth on a single topic. It is handy if you want to reference a particular post so that your response is taken in context to the post you intended.
We're rooting for you and your pup!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #51

THOR #5210
Rv

Yeah i guess i expect to much for a MSRP 110,000.00 dollar vehicle.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #52

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
New

Thanks for your expert opinion oldman 41
Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #53

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Soldiergirl, first off, thank you so much for your sacrifices. Enjoy your purchase and, yes, you will have a few items that need to be looked at then again maybe not. I purchased a Thor Class C and have had only a couple items that needed to be looked at. Nothing major. Oldsman, shame on you being negative in front of our new member, Soldiergirl, and trying to dash her excitement. I guess your $110,000 investment didn't meet up to your expectations, perhaps you should have spent more.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #54

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Well, she seems to have gone MIA. No one has heard back from her since the morning of her planned purchase. Hope all is well.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 PM   #55

THOR #5210
Rv

Spending more on anything made by Thor would be a waste of money as i and many others have learned. I’m glad soldier girl is fulfilling her dream i just hope it doesn’t turn into a nightmare for her.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 PM   #56

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Spending more on anything made by Thor would be a waste of money as i and many others have learned. I’m glad soldier girl is fulfilling her dream i just hope it doesn’t turn into a nightmare for her.
As we all hope.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:26 AM   #57
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Yeah i guess i expect to much for a MSRP 110,000.00 dollar vehicle.
You spent that much on a "Still Looking" vehicle??
Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #58
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Buh Bye ......
Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm hoping that she hit the road with it, and is just having too much fun to waste any time on the Forums...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #60

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
A dog is a dog and they don't know the difference...he will love RVing an traveling around. Check everything on the coach and make sure everything works BEFORE closing the deal. If it has any issues, do not pay or close on it until they have EVERYTHING working and prove it to you. They will want to do the paperwork, then politely show you everything after you sign...NOT! Walk through, check everything...then, if you're comfortable, close the deal. Can't stress this enough. RV sales people don't care if you're a vet, disabled, a thief, homeless, The Pope or The President...they just want your money and for you to leave.
I agree 100% get EVERYTHING done before signing !!!

Tags
1st shakedown cruise?, 1st walk thru advice?, vet w/servicdog advice?