Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2019, 12:05 AM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany xte 40 ax
State: Illinois
THOR #14029
Just enjoy yourself and don't sweat the small stuff, nothing is perfect and there will always be little things to fix along the road of life. Thank God for having the opportunity to purchase a rv and just start living.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #62

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1281
Dealing with the dealer

Ask about how to manual retract leveling jacks and slid outs. Also if you have any problems with the coach take a trip to the manufacturer. It's a better vacation than waiting for your dealer to disappoint.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:47 AM   #63

State: Virginia
THOR #12628
Look Over Everything

We bought our 2018 Thor Class A Toy Hauler 37GP in April 30 2018. We have taken 4 trips and we have had to put it in the shop after each one. Expect a couple weeks to schedule a repair and then at least 2 weeks to a month to get it back. Thor is finally coming to pick it up and take it to the factory to correct everything... We hope! We were about to move into it full time for a bit but having to take out things that spoil, valuables, and everyday needs each time it goes to the shop is extremely inconvenient if you don't have a back up plan. But it is more frustrating to have things brake when it is less than a year old and brand new. I attached our list that we provided to Thor but perhaps you will want to look at some of these things that might apply to your new ACE. It hasn't broken our RV spirit and we appreciate Thor for their willingness to correct the quality control problem we have experienced. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Issues.pdf (29.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-20-2019, 02:39 AM   #64

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
Slide Outs

Remember to let slide outs go out COMPLETELY, and back in COMPLETELY. Sometimes if you stop mid-slide it throws off the computer.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #65

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Be Aware

I too am a new motorhome user, in the past I pulled a trailer. I purchased a Vegas 24.1 from Camping World in Berkley Mass. When we looked at it, my wife and I were wide eyed with excitement, because it was the camper we had wanted for several years. We purchased it, had a few problems before we took it home, but were all fixed on the spot. From that date through our first trip, which was only 30miles from my house, we have found 46 items that needed attention. My camper has been at CW since October 5, and those items, many are small, are still being repaired. So, before you complete the deal on Wednesday, be aware that new campers do come with some problems. Go through everything with a fine tooth comb, because, in my experience, once that deal is completed, it is so hard and tiresome dealing with service. I don't want to be a downer, but I wish someone had advised me as I have advised you.

Wish you the best of luck and enjoy your new camping lifestyle.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #66

Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #13351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Girl View Post
Thanks Tfryman; I hope to be down that way within the month. I have a big brother in Daytona that wants a visit. I know there's an rv domicile/mail fwding group or rv park of some type (maybe its thru Excapees?), somewhere between Daytona & Tampa, that I may go check out. If that doesn't fit my needs I'll check outthe one in Tx, as I've got some extra vet privileges in Tx bc it was both my inprocessing & outprocessing military home of record, despite the 10 year detour in Md. I'm glad to find there are more vets doing the fulltiming or some variation of, than I'd initially thought. But I guess I should have figured that out much faster than I did, lol!
Hi and welcome. We bought our new Freedom Elite 24 in October and have been living in it since Nov 1. Lots to learn as first time owners, but lots of fun.

We've been using a mail scan/forward firm in FL for over a year (we traveled for 9 months internationally, returning in September) that helped us establish residency, get registered, get our driver's licenses, and now we can vote by absentee ballot. It's a great operation and very helpful by phone and email if needed.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/

best of luck!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 PM   #67

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #13555
Using permeable grass pavers to park our RV on?

Hello everyone, this forum is so full of great information, thank you.

We pick up our 2018 Thor Axis 24.1 on Tuesday after many months of debating to buy or not. We have done a lot of homework and reading comments here have been really helpful.

Have any of you tried the following pavers for parking your RV?
Techno Earth ( 1.9" Depth ) Permeable Grass Pavers for your grass parking lots, access roads, driveways, fire lanes, RV and boat storage pads - ( Pack of 4 - 10.76 Sf )

Thank you,
vanddaxis
Old 01-21-2019, 12:24 AM   #68

Model: Outlaw 38 RE
THOR #3657
Alignments

I would request before you pay for them to pay for your first alignment which is the first place you should drive that rig. Do not trust that vehicle is aligned out of the factory. Also get it realigned when you load it up for the first time. My rec is do not fill the fresh water tank more than 1/4 ever. Unless you do it while parked and empty before you leave.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #69

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normfitz View Post
I would request before you pay for them to pay for your first alignment which is the first place you should drive that rig. Do not trust that vehicle is aligned out of the factory. Also get it realigned when you load it up for the first time. My rec is do not fill the fresh water tank more than 1/4 ever. Unless you do it while parked and empty before you leave.

Not sure why do don't fill water tank but trust its justified by you. I keep mine full all the time for JIC. Years ago with a travel trailer, I got to a campground late to find the water cut off for repairs. They didn't get it back up for 2 days. Had to hook up and pull down the street to fill tank. Plus, I keep tank full while traveling in case of break down or any other disastrous situation that may put you on the side of the road or in a "sheltered in" place for a while.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder how she's doing?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #71

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Bob, I wonder also. Do you suppose she was a make believe person someone made up to get a conversation started. I find it hard to believe she picked her RV up and disappeared off the face of the earth and is out traveling in the winter. Hopefully I am wrong and she actually does exist. Time will tell I guess.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #72

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Bob, I wonder also. Do you suppose she was a make believe person someone made up to get a conversation started. I find it hard to believe she picked her RV up and disappeared off the face of the earth and is out traveling in the winter. Hopefully I am wrong and she actually does exist. Time will tell I guess.

I had the same thought...so many people today playing the "veteran card" to get attention, free stuff or moved to the front of the line everywhere. Now the "service dog" seems to be a must-have for everybody. I recently came across a group of "new recruits" at a local fast food joint...they were just out of basic (Airman), heading to tech school and expected the restaurant to serve them for free based on the "sacrifice they were making for everybody", as they put it. I served...my father served...my brother served...I have tons of friends who have and are currently serving this country. I know the program and have utmost respect for the real veterans and "service members". To others, it was and is a 4 year government job just to get college and boarding benefits ($1200 per month for housing as long as you're in school). Hopefully, "Soldier Girl" was telling the truth and is having so much fun she forgot about us "civilians". God Speed to the Worthy!!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:39 AM   #73

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I had the same thought...so many people today playing the "veteran card" to get attention, free stuff or moved to the front of the line everywhere. Now the "service dog" seems to be a must-have for everybody. I recently came across a group of "new recruits" at a local fast food joint...they were just out of basic (Airman), heading to tech school and expected the restaurant to serve them for free based on the "sacrifice they were making for everybody", as they put it. I served...my father served...my brother served...I have tons of friends who have and are currently serving this country. I know the program and have utmost respect for the real veterans and "service members". To others, it was and is a 4 year government job just to get college and boarding benefits ($1200 per month for housing as long as you're in school). Hopefully, "Soldier Girl" was telling the truth and is having so much fun she forgot about us "civilians". God Speed to the Worthy!!

I see you are from Georgia..? Where did you run into those new recruits out of basic??!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #74

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony&Sheryl View Post
I see you are from Georgia..? Where did you run into those new recruits out of basic??!

At the busiest airport in the world.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #75

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
One thing that they forget to advise you the new owner to do is to fully load it and drive it down to an alignment shop. The factory aligns it completely empty and once you fully load it, it changes the front alignment. It is usually written in small print in one of the many manuals they give you to read once you purchase it. I learned the hard way and had to spend $750.00 on two new front tries and an alignment. Fill every tank with fluids as well as your propane tank and add weight to compensate for clothing, dishes and food before you have it aligned. I did it when I purchased my 2nd mh.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #76

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
One thing that they forget to advise you the new owner to do is to fully load it and drive it down to an alignment shop. The factory aligns it completely empty and once you fully load it, it changes the front alignment. It is usually written in small print in one of the many manuals they give you to read once you purchase it. I learned the hard way and had to spend $750.00 on two new front tries and an alignment. Fill every tank with fluids as well as your propane tank and add weight to compensate for clothing, dishes and food before you have it aligned. I did it when I purchased my 2nd mh.
That brings to mind a question. Where can I get my rv weighed? I don't imagine I can jus drive up the exit ramp to one of the state trooper's weigh stations...? Can an rv use a cat scale at a flyin J or other truckstop? & if so, what is the proper procedure &/or etiquette to do it so as not to piss off the pro drivers who rely on truckstop services to get their loads delivered on schedule???
Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #77

THOR #11130
Cat Scales are open for anybody's money and they are tested and certified regularly. Lots of other places also but that's the most convenient.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #78

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Quote:
That brings to mind a question. Where can I get my rv weighed? I don't imagine I can jus drive up the exit ramp to one of the state trooper's weigh stations...? Can an rv use a cat scale at a flyin J or other truckstop? & if so, what is the proper procedure &/or etiquette to do it so as not to piss off the pro drivers who rely on truckstop services to get their loads delivered on schedule???
Yes indeed, an RV can use the CAT scale at the Flying J or Pilot - that's where we go to get ours - got it a weight when we came from the purchase and then again after loading it for a week of travel.

Just go inside first and ask the Commercial Counter person for a weight and they will tell you to go on the scale or wait until it's clear.

Advice here is unless you boondock all the time keep the water volume down to save weight and thus get better fuel efficiency. we carry about 25 gallons at most, but always weigh with everything you think you will carry - outside stuff, food, clothes and other things.

I don't think we could get to our max weight, but I have no desire to carry everything I own - but, I'm not full timing either.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #79

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Cat Scales are open for anybody's money and they are tested and certified regularly. Lots of other places also but that's the most convenient.
Do they only tell you the weight altogether, or can you find out how balanced your weight distribution is over each wheel?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #80
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Do they only tell you the weight altogether, or can you find out how balanced your weight distribution is over each wheel?
Cat scales will weigh each axle. You'll know how much the front and rear weigh (and any toad if you bring that a long).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1st shakedown cruise?, 1st walk thru advice?, vet w/servicdog advice?