Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
Picking up my 1st RV on Wed & could use a lil advice

Hi Guys, I'm not a make believe person, sorry for fallin off the edge of the map; I picked up my rig w/no problems thanks to everyone here. I enjoyed reading all th scuttlebutt, tho, you guys shuld write some novels, you'd make a mint, lol!

I meant to write back 1st thing, but w/in bout a wk, found myself in th crosshairs of that monster ice storm that hit MD w/quarter inch ice. Befor it hit, I hadta quickly finish emptyin my house I'm sellin, after repairs from 6 floods in Bmore last yr. So everything was sorted into 3 piles, throw out - done! Storage durin my 1 yr trial of fulltimin (compromise w/worried family - did I mention Im from a huge family, not countin my own kids & now grandkids?) - almost done & then th storm timeline sped up!

Soooo, w/a good 15 boxes stil not gone thru but dumpd on my back bed - Radar pulld me up my new stairs & we hit th rd literally w/th ice & snow on our tail! We drov 12 hrs stoppn only for gas & Radar potty breaks (seems I can't teach my SD to use th RV toilet, lol!), & then drivin off again as th temp guage on my dash showd th freeze catchin up & various real time weather alerts blared at me

On th merge to th D.C. beltway I had my 1st close call in an rv. Thankfully had bout 5 car lengths btween me & a driver in front in a small suv. It was snowin. All of a sudden I saw a rush of steam billow up from it like watchin a strange ied go. I slammd my new brakes hard, ended up 6 ft from his bumper. He had hit a small car in front of him. I didn't hav rm to go round him. Vehicles kept flyin by us (I was in a 2nd lane from right bc of th interesting exit setup for th 270 to th 495 & back to 95 S). I needed to bak up to get around.

My medic soul kept yellin at me to respond & triage but I knew I'd get clobberd. Worse, No one was movin & despite only 6 ft from th suv I culdnt see anyone at all! After what seemed forever, I had a clear rear & backd up & then swung round. I kept lookin for movemnt, or jus people, but saw nuthin. My fone had gone flyin somewher so I culdnt even call 911 for them. I felt guilty as all get out, still do, but I put me & my dog 1st & left them behind. At th next rest stop which was over th VA line near Alexandria,I found th fone & was routed from 911 to 911 & finally gav up bc th sno was turnin to ice so I hadta keep movin...

I finally lost th storm, spent nearly a wk at Lott Island Army Airfield near Savanna (only $20 per nite minus $3 a nite discount for accessAmer card! Learnd bout ACE toilet/blacktank issues, lol!

Went on to Daytona, 2 of my remainin 9 sibs liv there. Learned boondockin in Cracker Barrels & Wallyworlds. Daytona doesnt seem to like RVs hangin out much. & onw o my big bros said he's never had a hard freeze warnin since movin there till I brought it down w/me, lol! I went up to Jacksonville Naval Air Station for a few days, wulda stayed, but no rm at the inn, long term in winter needs rez's many mo's bfor, new lerning ther too!

Durin all this I had a leak growin ever bigger. When ther was a break in th wind & cold, boogied bak up to my newport news dealer. They fixed 2 leaks, but a few miles later found was stil leakin, even worse (I wrote bout it somewher on forum in a reply to a question bout bathrm leaks last nite)

Went bak up to Bmore to work on my hous repair issues. Got rid of half my boxes, but added 5 mor to sort on the rd! Returnd to dealer, they found & fixed it! I also changed my 2 12v hous batts for 2 6v agms, which xtended how long I can stay warm w/out gettin up to run he geni every coyple of hrs. I wil add 2 mor somehow bfor gettin solar at some point. Goin bak up to instal satellite & a wifi & cell xtender at end of th month.

My bloody MD tags stil havnt come in, so I cant change domiciles til then or leav East Coast winters behind. Was tol if I change to Fl or Tx bfor my tags come in, my new state wil want taxes I alredy paid to MD!

So, with another change in th weather, I'm jus South of the worse at Ft Bragg, NC. I really do exist, see, heres a pix's below!

P.S. I have an issue I need advice on re balncin the needs of my warranty, insur, & possible repair, but will start a new msg for that later - if y'all decide I'm for real & so is Radar!Click image for larger version

Name:	1549812546805.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	15617Click image for larger version

Name:	49721928_1942509482453460_7513193648171778048_o.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	15618Click image for larger version

Name:	15027_1454858259760_2896375_n-3-1.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	15619

Old 02-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Welcome back! Thank you for your service to our great country!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You've certainly been having Los of adventures! Glad you're back, and getting all of the loose ends tucked-in!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #4

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You've certainly been having Los of adventures! Glad you're back, and getting all of the loose ends tucked-in!
Thx! I have 14 days or so to sort the rest of my boxes, hopefully dump most, & then head back to the dealer & hopeully get my tags along w/the install so I can get off the East Coast. It's been fantastic, even the bumps along th way, like leaks & freezing in 15°F nights wastin lp, generator fuel, & my then 12v stock batteries tryin to stay warm to no avail! Tho I'm probably still drunk on the newbie rv freedom feelings, I'm pretty certain my promise to family to jus give fulltiming a 1 yr trial run is gonna be a moot point!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0LCB View Post
Welcome back! Thank you for your service to our great country!
Thx so much. I loved serving, & would re-up in a heartbeat if they'd take me as-is! I will try to check in more & I apologize to you & everyone else for any and all missed msgs during my 1st month, maybe I shuld change my screen name to spook or ghost, in honor of all the imaginative thoughts on my possible spycraft, lol. I'm jus not that cool (my kids will vouch for that!). I'm glad to be back. Y'all really gave me the courage to finally dive in & buy my rig. I can't ever thank y'all enough!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Great to see you are straightening all the kinks out..
Happy Trails
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #7

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Great to see you are straightening all the kinks out..
Happy Trails
Thx. I have a bigger issue that will need to be dealt w/from an issue w/a heavily armed (but not mentally armed) contractor guard who used his power to create quite a mess for me & probably a warranty issue, during my 1st visit to Ft Meade rv park, but its rather convuluted, so I'll save it for later. Good to hear from everyone!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 AM   #8

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Glad you're happy and nice read of your adventure.
Someone is always home here when you need a tip.
Carry on....
Old 02-11-2019, 01:03 AM   #9

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
Glad you're happy and nice read of your adventure.
Someone is always home here when you need a tip.
Carry on....
roger that & thx!
Old 02-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
ditto that...Thanks for your service.

... and you're the one that should write a book! Pretty much all I read is biographies a memoirs. It started for me after hearing Chuck Yeager and Bud Anderson give a talk. Bought their books and loved it.... better than a Tom Clancy movie and it was real. Used to focus on WW2 and aviation stuff (I'm a private pilot & huge aviation buff), but have since read all sorts...from submarines to jungles. Have a read a few dust off and air cav stories, both old and new. Gives me a lot of respect for what you did....and I'm always looking for more books like them.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #11

THOR #13770
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
ditto that...Thanks for your service.

... and you're the one that should write a book! Pretty much all I read is biographies a memoirs. It started for me after hearing Chuck Yeager and Bud Anderson give a talk. Bought their books and loved it.... better than a Tom Clancy movie and it was real. Used to focus on WW2 and aviation stuff (I'm a private pilot & huge aviation buff), but have since read all sorts...from submarines to jungles. Have a read a few dust off and air cav stories, both old and new. Gives me a lot of respect for what you did....and I'm always looking for more books like them.
Wow, I always wanted to pilot (helos, though). Before I got hurt I couldn't decide on whether to apply for warrant at Ft Rucker for helicopters or Ft Sam for the PA (physicians assistant) school. I ended up sitting for both exams, passed, but then didn't havta make up my mind bc my career came to an end after an injury, not all of a sudden, but w/a whimper, 1st gettin transferred to active reserve, doin man days trainin an evac hosp's pre-basics, & then shoved into the fishbowl (inactive)...so much for dreams of flight (or should I say flights of fancy?). I miss the old huey iroquois (much more than blackhawks), they had so much heart. I miss hangin off the skids enjoyin the rush of wind instead bein strapped to a damn bench inside a blackhawk. I'm still interested in PA school but my leg would probably no go me from a private piloting license, rotor or fixed wing (not to mention cost!). I admire those like you who've gone out & done it, especially as a civvie all on your own recourse (& resources!), w/no one pushin you thru & payin your way - that, to me, is amazing!!! Do you have any pix of you & your bird?