Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

State: Louisiana
THOR #2224
Pre-Newbie

Hi Gang,

Im still a year off from retirement and purchasing an RV. I go back and forth between a Challenger and a Chateau Super C. I enjoy thoroughly researching.

Hope ya'll don't mind me tagging along and soaking up info from your experiences.

Take Care!

WhoDatFanMan

Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 AXIS 24.1 RUV
State: California
THOR #2172
Go with the Class A, you will be happier with the view out the front window.
Congrats on getting closer to retirement. I/we couldn't wait until my retirement 8/2022! We bought June 1, 2015.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Hop aboard and enjoy the ride. I do not believe you will hear too many complaints from us Challenger owners.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

THOR #2224
Thanks! I hear you on that view out the front window. Wish I was ready to pull the trigger. MHSRV has some new 2015s for 105k.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Welcome, at least you can go the the dealer and sit in the seat of one of these rigs. Cost you some time.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #6

THOR #2224
I'm also looking at the Outlaw 38RE. Like patio and 8k hitch among other things. Anyone out there with any experience being an Outlaw?
Old 06-24-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatFanMan View Post
I'm also looking at the Outlaw 38RE. Like patio and 8k hitch among other things. Anyone out there with any experience being an Outlaw?
For what it's worth:

We spent a year and a half before upgrading from my Class C to the current Class A. We looked at the Hurricane, Miramar, Outlaw (38RE) and Challenger. The common thread was we had to have the outdoor kitchen.

The Hurricane, Miramar and Outlaw were taken out of consideration because:

Hurricane - full wall slide issues and small inside refrigerator (wife's crock pot wouldn't fit inside). Also, it didn't feel like it would be the right fit for us. At the time we thought out Class C had more to offer than the Hurricane.

Miramar - full wall slide and no window, with screen, in the bedroom that could be opened for ventilation. I believe the bedroom windows were changed with the 2014 or 2015 model year.

Outlaw - Patio could not be opened if my towed vehicle was attached to the coach which meant no grilling during 1 night stops. Have to go through the bedroom and half bath to access the patio from inside the coach. Small gray water tank (43 gal) in relationship to fresh water tank (150 gal). In fact the total gray and black tank size is less than the fresh water (where does the rest go). Refrigerator located next to the bathroom (this is a pet peeve of ours)

We selected the Challenger 37ND because it has the residential refrigerator (easily handles the wife's crock pot), side accessible outdoor kitchen can be used while the towed vehicle is attached, it has three slides rather than a single full wall slide, has 4 bedroom windows that open for cross ventilation, has 2 40 gallon gray tanks and one 40 gallon black tank which will handle the 100 gallons of fresh water. Also, although my towed vehicle and dolly is less than 4000 lbs the Challenger does have the 8000 lb hitch.

Again this is for what it's worth.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #8

THOR #2224
Well it is worth a LOT! Priceless. Are you secretly a Thor employee!? Lol

Thanks again. My research is over!

Just need to talk my wife into going for the ND instead of the GT.

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:37 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Well it is worth a LOT! Priceless. Are you secretly a Thor employee!? Lol

Thanks again. My research is over!

Just need to talk my wife into going for the ND instead of the GT.

Thanks again!
If I worked for Thor they'd fire me the first day because I'd break out a shop vac.

My wife's philosophy on the model was "Who does the cooking"? Would it be her inside or me outside? It got interesting over the years because no matter how hard a salesperson tried steering her to the "modern and the pretty" her question was always, is the outdoor kitchen standard or an available option? If the answer was no she'd walk away from the rig. If the answer was yes then she'd walk out to the car and get the croak from the croak pot and see if it would fit in the refrigerator. In the three years we had our Class c the stove top was used one time to make coffee and the oven was never lit.

If you want info on the Challenger there are enough of us Challenger owners on the forum to where I believe we have every floor plan for 2015 on the road.

I believe the same holds true for the other models such as the Outlaw etc... as well.

If you have any questions ask away.
FMCA - F432054
Old 06-25-2015, 02:24 AM   #10

THOR #2224
Thanks again, Dave! Much appreciated!
Give a holler if you ever make it down to Louisiana and I'll treat you to some great Cajun seafood.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:07 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Thanks again, Dave! Much appreciated!
Give a holler if you ever make it down to Louisiana and I'll treat you to some great Cajun seafood.
Been down that way a number of times. My wife is from Biloxi and still has a bunch of family along the Gulf Coast. Before she passed away a number of years ago, her mom lived a little east of Baton Rouge.

We do miss the Cajun seafood and a bowl of good, and I mean good, Mississippi or Louisiana Gumbo.

Any time you have a question feel free to shoot me a Private Message and I try to provide an answer.
FMCA - F432054