Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
jgt

State: Florida
THOR #8076
Pulling a cargo trailer

I’m interested if anybody has experience pulling a cargo trailer with their RV

Old 07-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!

Does pulling a trailer with a golf cart on it count?
If it does: you don't even know that it's back there.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
I see it all the time. It's all as simple as the weights and measures. As long as it fits within the tow and hitch capacity, the MH doesn't care what's back there...neither does the hitch ball...provided it too can handle the weight (most overlooked piece of the puzzle). One thing to consider...with the rear overhang on most MH's so long...the up and down forces on the hitch can be exaggerated...leave reserve capacity for that. Plus, when traversing inclines such as over curb gutters into gas stations, you need to make sure the bottom of the hitch assembly doesn't "bottom out". A trailer is a trailer...doesn't matter what type.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt View Post

Good morning ! Currently, we have a 6x10 enclosed trailer we tow with the Axis. We load the motorcycles in it. We have previously had qn 8x12 enclosed trailer,and a 30' toy hauler. If you are concerned about trailer brakes, that depends on trailer size/weight, laws and personal comfort zone.
They follow well, making sure you load it properly..ie tongue weight, hooked correctly to the hitch on the motorhome, etc.

Like anything you tow...and we are now getting ready to tow a Jeep...not only are the above things essential...but you must be aware of your surroundings..when parking, fueling etc. You do not want to get stuck in a difficult situation.

I am sure others from this amazing Forum will add more important comments.

Ron and Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #5
jgt

THOR #8076
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I see it all the time. It's all as simple as the weights and measures. As long as it fits within the tow and hitch capacity, the MH doesn't care what's back there...neither does the hitch ball...provided it too can handle the weight (most overlooked piece of the puzzle). One thing to consider...with the rear overhang on most MH's so long...the up and down forces on the hitch can be exaggerated...leave reserve capacity for that. Plus, when traversing inclines such as over curb gutters into gas stations, you need to make sure the bottom of the hitch assembly doesn't "bottom out". A trailer is a trailer...doesn't matter what type.

Thanks Bob, do you generally drop the trailer off before you go to your site or do you back it in with the RV at your site?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Thanks Bob, do you generally drop the trailer off before you go to your site or do you back it in with the RV at your site?

I have a car hauler with a Jeep...I look for pull through sites. If not, unload then back in or drop trailer in storage lot. Pulling a trailer requires a lot of research and Google Earth views ahead of your path.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I tow a 6 by 10cargo trailer. Most times I back it into the site off to the side where convenient. Then back the RV in to it's location for hookups
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:14 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Hello jgt, We use to pull a 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer with golf cart and stuff in it. I realized right away I needed a extender on the hitch. That way I had a little more flexibility with backing and turning tight. I also bought a hitch that lifted the front of the trailer an inch or 2. But not so high that it allowed the rear of the trailer to drag. I pulled the trailer with our first motorhome a 2004 28 foot class c with the Ford V-10. Never had a problem.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We solved the "How do you back it into your site?" issue the easy way:
We only reserve pull-through sites!
Old 07-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
pulling a cargo trailer, stacker trailer,etc., is done many, many times everyday by many, many RVs... but you have to keep some things is mind, as the RV may certainly have the capacity to 'pull' it, but the realities of driving such a rig brings on new 'issues' if you are not confident or experienced, especially when backing, or when navigating fuel stops and maneuvering RV parks and campgrounds.

Whether to 'drop' any trailer, or tow dolly'd vehicle, before maneuvering to your rv site is something that every driver has to decide on their own, and it situation and destination helps make that decision.
Those parks where you will have a 'pull thru' site will be easy - pull in and park, period.
Those parks where you will have to 'back in'(much, much more common), will render a decision one way or the other depending on the layout, space, lanes, crowded avenues, places to 'park' the trailer away from the rv, etc. Not all rv parks and campgrounds are designed for this type of situation, and some even prohibit it.

I'll admit that we pull a trailer, a cargo trailer of sorts, which is called a 2014 Gulfstream 295BH bunkhouse camper, with our 2014 Thor Palazzo diesel pusher - not a common site amongst RVrs! But, it gives us the room to have our teenage sons along, with their OWN space, and Mom and Dad have their own privacy! It works, but with some major differences between towing the car, which is more common for us.
Turning a long rig is something to consider, as you can easily come in contact with your trailer.
Backing a trailer is also different, especially if it is a shorter one... you can easily jackknife it, and be in a big pickle.

Driving down the road is easy with a trailer, it's just the other stuff that makes it more of a challenge. Fueling: you better 'plan ahead', that's the best advice. If you have a gas RV, using 'truck stops' won't help - that's only for diesel.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #11

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I pull an 18 ft flatbed trailer. It's pretty easy to back up and with the camera it's not as intimidating.