Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1212
Purchased a new Miramar 34.1

Hello, my wife and I purchased a 2015 Miramar 34.1 at the Hershey RV Show last month. We are new to RV's but learning fast. I was surprised at the numerous items that need worked on even on a new RV. I took delivery at a local Camping World and learned very quickly that they are not very impressive. It took weeks before they would even work on my RV even though after my first outing the leveling feet would not retract. I had to jumper the 50 amp breaker in order to retract the feet so I could move my RV out of my driveway. I naturally found numerous little items but the 50 amp breaker prevented using the RV since it also prevented using the generator. After getting the RV back. The heater would not work due to a bad sail switch. We are heading out tomorrow for our second long weekend outing. Winter is approaching fast so this might be our last outing till spring. I do like the RV and we are looking forward to many trips next year. I will also be looking for another Thor authorized dealer should I need future repairs. Thanks for reading looking forward to learning more from using our RV and from this forum.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #2

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Ronheb454,
Based on many posts seen here on the forum, I'd say it is not unusual to have several call back items on a new Thor unit. Most times, the dealer is able to make the needed corrections at no cost to you.
IMO, it is important to get everything fixed while still under warranty--and that takes some effort and time on your part. I realize that in a perfect world bad things would never happen, but the world isn't perfect and neither is the Thor manufacturing process and products.
Best wishes for a long and happy RV life!
John
Athens, GA
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #3

THOR #1212
Thanks much John I agree just didn't realize how unreceptive the dealer is to schedule the coach for warranty repairs. Take care and have a great day.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Ron,

Don't wait on these repairs! Call Thor and let them know the problems you are having and ask for alternate repair facilities that Thor will re-emburse for warranty repair work. I was having a problem, they recommended 2 other dealers within 50 miles that they authorized to perform warranty work!

I'm dealing with a problem Miramar 34.2 as we speak! My advice to you is to get all of the problems documented and into the system, Thor can track warranty issues in their computer system. Keep good records of your repair and warranty work, take pictures with your phone or other multi media device.

Good luck with your new purchase!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

THOR #1212
Purchased a 34.1

Thanks for your advice Brian, sorry to hear you are having issues with your 34.2, hope you get everything resolved. Take care.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #6

Model: Miramar bath & 1/2
State: New Mexico
THOR #1366
Send a message via AIM to Larry Mac Send a message via Yahoo to Larry Mac
We purchased our Miramar in Texas @ MHS and nice people. I have been learning for 9 months and the best thing I ever did was purchase Mark Polk's how to RV video's I drove heavy equipment for years but, the RV has sure humbled me. Things break that shouldn't so it's a very long learning curve. My wife is in a wheelchair so we added a wheelchair lift and wheelchair carrier.

Apparently the Manufacturers do not add the valve stem on the rear inside tires having driven trucks inflation to tires is very important, & so is having 22.5 rims with truck tires preferably Michelin. Happy Rving!

Larry Mac
Old 12-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Hi Larry,

Those 22.5's are nice! Michelin has a tire chart specifically for these tires. Weigh your rig fully loaded, as you are heading out for a road trip. Check the tire inflation table and adjust your psi accordingly! Thor recommends running the tires at 90 PSI, you will find that weight on the placard by the drivers seat. That pressure is based on the vehicles max gross weight of 22,000 lbs.

My rig fully loaded for a trip weighs in around 20,800 lbs. according to the Michelin chart, they recommend I run my tires around 77-78 psi. That 12 psi made a big difference in handing.

I also invested in the TireMinder system, what a life saver! Had an inside dual valve stem fail while driving at highway speed. The system warned me immediately, I was able to pull off to a wide spot and inspect it. (There was no change in handling with the inside dual flat!) Found a Les Schwab shop 10 miles away, they told me to drive it on in!

After a 30 minute repair I was on my way! Without the TireMinder, I could have easily driven another couple hundred miles before noticing a problem. By then it could have been an $800-1,000 dollar repair vs a $28 dollar repair!!
On that one instance, the TireMinder paid for itself!!
To me it was well worth the investment!!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #8

THOR #1366
Thanks for the information

Thank you for the good information. There is so much to learn and I did buy some of Mark Polk's "How to Video's" They have been very helpful.

I was really surprised as to how well the Thor 34.1 handles so far I have only made a few minor mistakes but, there seems to be a lot of lockouts on the Thor units. Rooms will not extend with engine running and the front shade will not move with the key in the ignition.

I needed to take the unit in for a failed furnace the plastic fan failed so I'm in the process of adding an electric fireplace, they look nice and provide a little warmth. It drives like a van on steroids.

Larry,
Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #9

THOR #1212
Smile

I will have to check Mark Polks's videos out I am not familiar with them. I want to weigh my coach when it is loaded for a trip too, being here in Pa I have to wait till about April. I've only had my coach on two camping trips so far and your right it does drive real nice. I had several items taken care of so far under warranty and have two more items to go, one is the remote. My remote only works the outside porch light some times and you need to be right on top of the light for it to work, kind of defeats the purpose. Camping World can't get me in till the beginning of January. Since it is so hard to get them to accept my coach for service I'll be right there on January 2th.

Take care guys and Merry Christmas, Hope you have a Happy and Safe New Year,
Ron Heberle
Old 12-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #10

THOR #1366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheb454 View Post
I will have to check Mark Polks's videos out I am not familiar with them. I want to weigh my coach when it is loaded for a trip too, being here in Pa I have to wait till about April. I've only had my coach on two camping trips so far and your right it does drive real nice. I had several items taken care of so far under warranty and have two more items to go, one is the remote. My remote only works the outside porch light some times and you need to be right on top of the light for it to work, kind of defeats the purpose. Camping World can't get me in till the beginning of January. Since it is so hard to get them to accept my coach for service I'll be right there on January 2th.

Take care guys and Merry Christmas, Hope you have a Happy and Safe New Year,
Ron Heberle
Hi Ron,

Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't even got to the remote yet. Had a warranty problem with the furnace but, it took the dealer a month to fix it. We have had ours about 9 months went to Texas from New Mexico for a Navy Reunion and learned a bit. I would be dead without the Mark Polk Videos he's on the Internet a bit pricey but, worth every penny. It all the stuff the dealer told you that you forgot, he has some really helpful hints. My side camera's are connected to my house batteries and will not work when the switch is in the store position it needs to be in the use position.

Also the batteries will not charge in the store position. The engine battery I added a battery minder from Walmart $14 works good. My driveway slants so I drive up on some ramps. I'm adding a fireplace I'll sent some pictures when I'm done. I drove heavy equipment and I prefer springs & Hydraulic brakes air ride is too mushy.

Take care, & happy RVing.

Larry Mac,