Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2022, 06:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Dakota
THOR #27411
Learning to be a full-timer!

Would I be able to plug a portable solar panel into the roof port and not attach it to my roof?

Old 07-18-2022, 06:52 PM   #2

State: South Dakota
THOR #27411

Quick background, born and raised in Upstate NY, widowed and retired, then lost my only son to a heart attack in August, didn't know what to do from there. Sold my house, bought this RV (2021 Freedom Elite 23H) and hit the road in February of this year. NEVER camped or RV'd before this so I'm learning as I go. I do have a question (well a million questions!!!!) but right now I was wondering if I could plug a portable solar panel into my rooftop solar plug and NOT mount it to my roof? THANKS!
Old 07-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rora the Explora View Post
Would I be able to plug a portable solar panel into the roof port and not attach it to my roof?
probably. The MC4 connectors are not designed for easy plug/unplug, it can be done.. Also seems like a huge hassle to climb up on the roof to attach the portable unit and disconnect when you want to go.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:36 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
If it has solar prep, likely the connections are MC4 which aren't easy to disconnect/reconnect and aren't designed for that purpose. The seals could be damaged with repeated connection/disconnection.

That particular issue could be avoided by creating or buying) an MC4 to SAE adapter https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-10AWG.../dp/B07GQ8W41P

There there's the hassle of getting to the connection.

Some solar prep setups I've seen have an SAE bulkhead connection near the solar charge controller, if yours doesn't have one I'd think adding one would be possible.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:31 PM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751

I’m sorry for your losses….. life can really suck sometimes. At least you are trying to make the best of it.

Sounds like your coach is prepped for solar so you should have a solar controller in your coach now that would look something like the picture I’ve attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5970.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	38782

If so, you could plug in extension cables to the MC4 connectors on the roof and then run them down your ladder and secure them with zipties from the top down to the bottom. You could then plug a portable panel into the cables when you are parked.

Whether it could charge them full depends on the size of your batteries, depth of discharge and the power output of the solar panels and charge controller.

I would then buy these to use as “caps” to plug into the cables secured on your laddet to protect the connectors from water and dirt when traveling and not having the solar panel attached.

Renogy One Pair of 9In 12AWG Adaptor Kit Solar Cable Wire PV https://a.co/d/6aB9yFV
Old 07-19-2022, 11:11 AM   #6

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum.