Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 11:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Smile Relatively new member

Howdy All!

I figured that I should probably follow protocol and introduce myself. I've been lurking since July when we started getting serious about RV'ing. I didn't have any success in trying to rent a newer model through RVShare or Outdoorsy (scammers or no-responders), so we figured why not just jump in? The hard part was figuring out what to buy.

In comparing four different MFG's and both the Class A & C types (we don't have a truck to pull a trailer) it got pretty hard to keep all of the models straight. I ended up build out a spreadsheet and entered in all the stats for about 15 different categories and then compared/ranked each against all the others. That was quite an undertaking, but made our decision crystal clear when our priorities were laid out.

We're a family of 5 (plus a dog) and was looking for something we could do together and have the kids bring a friend or two while we were making memories. So # of beds + room to move around was a must. Given that we were mainly looking for outdoor time, an outdoor kitchen, external LP tank hookup, and an outdoor shower head were good things as well. Put those together with me being 6'4" and having a hard time with leg room on the Class C chassis, and we came to a very happy decision. We bought the 2019 Hurricane 34J.

Since the end of July, I've put about 1500 miles on it going to local sites for weekends and burning through most of the mods that were in Jerry's list. A lot of the ones listed didn't need to be done, as Thor upgraded the newer coach. For example all the lights are LED, the tank and battery monitors are all combined into a digital panel, there's a 4-port USB bank in the bedroom, and the Rapid Camp system is now just an app on my phone that is actually pretty handy.

Things I have Modified on the RV so far are:
CHF front & back
AC Condensation drain hose in the front passenger cab
Dynamat covering in the cab under-floor for sound proofing
Dynamat 3/4" foam padding in the dog house for temp reduction and sound proofing
EezTire TPMS & tire stem extensions to put them on
Quik-Fill Battery Watering System
Temper-Pedic foam pads on the bunks & a cooling one on the master bed
Replaced back bedroom outlets with ones that include USB ports
Mod'ed a Weber Q Series portable grill for use with 16' of LP hose connected to the RV

I also bought for the RV (don't consider these "mods" per se)
50 Amp EMS portable system
Water filtration system
An additional 30 Amp extension cord
A bewildering number of different power adapter plugs & a couple dog bones
A Multi-tester, & live circuit tester
A bag to carry all that power related crap in
A whole 'nother small tool bag with it's own set of tools
A set of sprays & lubes just for the RV
Chock Blocks & 2 sets of adult lego pads to help with keeping the tires on the ground when I level the RV
Two 25' potable hoses
Two 15' grey hoses
A whole bunch of tank-emptying equipment
9'x18' Camping rug
Portable table
5 bag chairs
Collapsable wagon for hauling all that crap around
Sheets and bedspreads that don't fit the 6 custom beds in the RV

The only things that made it in there that we didn't end up buying were a set of beach towels (1 for everybody, but not to be confused with "bath towels" that were bought separately) and about half of the pots and pans.

This has got to be the most expensive way to "save money on vacations" that I've ever heard of.

All that being said, I have to admit that these mini excursions that we've taken the last half of the summer have been some of the best "family time" things we've ever done.

And I also want you all to know that this forum and the kindness, knowledge, and thoughtfulness in helping anyone with questions that you have shown here was the tipping point in convincing me that we could be successful "trying out this RV thing".

Thank you all so, so much.

I can only hope to return the karma down the road.

Cheers,

Curtis

Old 09-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #2

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Welcome to the forum Curtis. Looks like you have a good start on your RVing experience and a good start on equipment...........or as my wife says filling the money pit.
Post some pics when you get a chance and your travels.
Happy trails
Old 09-26-2018, 02:46 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Quebec
THOR #12646
Welcome to the forum. Quality Family time is what make RVing so great. I am a newbie but I have tried small trip about 250 miles from home to learn the ins and outs of our MH and we are ready for our 4 months winter trip to the US.

Enjoy your MH to the fullest with your precious family.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:17 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.4
State: Michigan
THOR #13168
Wow! CWRay that’s quite a list! I just got an ACE 30.4 and I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions but the first one is what did you have to do to modify your Weber grill?
Thanks Bill
Old 09-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow!! You sure jumped in with both feet!
I like your decision-making process; I sort of wish that we had been that thorough.
So Welcome to the Party, and cut yourself a marshmallow stick!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket List Inn View Post
Wow! CWRay that’s quite a list! I just got an ACE 30.4 and I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions but the first one is what did you have to do to modify your Weber grill?
Thanks Bill
For the Weber Q series, the LP regulator is very easy to remove. It's just 2 screws holding the brace on, and then (as long as you brace the rest of the tube) you can simply wrench that big round regulator off. That leaves a 1/8" NPT male connector exposed.

I'd have to admit that at first I just bought a $50 kit that is out there to do the rest. But that ties a 6' hose onto that little aluminum nub, which I don't like. So I hit up Amazon and bought a ton (mostly wrong) connectors to make that grill have a QD Female connector for LP.

So it looks like this now:
Grill-1/8" NPT male -> 1/8" NPT Female-to-1/4" NPT Female reducer -> 1/4" NPT Male to LPT Quick Disconnect Male.

Then I can use standard QD hoses to take the LP off the rig.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:49 PM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
"This has got to be the most expensive way to "save money on vacations" that I've ever heard of"
Welcome to the forum!

Who told you that an RV would save you money? (Sounds like sales-speak.) Some folks probably do save money RVing, but if you factor in interest and depreciation I believe there are cheaper travel modes for most non-full timers. It's all about quality of life.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:52 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #13168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwray View Post
For the Weber Q series, the LP regulator is very easy to remove. It's just 2 screws holding the brace on, and then (as long as you brace the rest of the tube) you can simply wrench that big round regulator off. That leaves a 1/8" NPT male connector exposed.

I'd have to admit that at first I just bought a $50 kit that is out there to do the rest. But that ties a 6' hose onto that little aluminum nub, which I don't like. So I hit up Amazon and bought a ton (mostly wrong) connectors to make that grill have a QD Female connector for LP.

So it looks like this now:
Grill-1/8" NPT male -> 1/8" NPT Female-to-1/4" NPT Female reducer -> 1/4" NPT Male to LPT Quick Disconnect Male.

Then I can use standard QD hoses to take the LP off the rig.
Thanks CWRay!! Much appreciated!
Bill
Old 09-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
"This has got to be the most expensive way to "save money on vacations" that I've ever heard of"
If a Boat is a "Hole in the water; into which one throws money."
An RV is about the same sized hole; but it's situated in the woods!
Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #10

State: Indiana
THOR #14449
Thanks

I am new to the forum and been camping awhile but just bought a 2019 Thor Hurricane and loved the mod list and will get started on it so I can be ready before our first trip this year.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Welcome aboard!!
Old 02-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Congratulations and welcome.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The most expensive thing about RVing is logging onto this Forum. It averages about $500 each time!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The most expensive thing about RVing is logging onto this Forum. It averages about $500 each time!
That's no joke. My wife has told me several times to stay off here. And I have done nothing but convenience mods really. Mostly for her but that's a different story!!! I did a good job finding the right RV for our current and near future needs. But man...every time I log in I see something that would be just so nice to have. Headed to MI in the morning to brave the snowfall for Bigfoot levelers. But I told her, "The system is on sale and they are doing an installation special. We can't afford to NOT do this now." LOL
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Fish - thats sounds great.... Give us an update once its done. Maybe you can take some pictures of the shop installing your or someone else?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
That's no joke. My wife has told me several times to stay off here. And I have done nothing but convenience mods really. Mostly for her but that's a different story!!! I did a good job finding the right RV for our current and near future needs. But man...every time I log in I see something that would be just so nice to have. Headed to MI in the morning to brave the snowfall for Bigfoot levelers. But I told her, "The system is on sale and they are doing an installation special. We can't afford to NOT do this now." LOL

Always close with..."I'm doing this for you, honey. I want to make this as safe for us as possible...you don't want to die, do you?"
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:07 AM   #17

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Always close with..."I'm doing this for you, honey. I want to make this as safe for us as possible...you don't want to die, do you?"
Oh that sounds good.... Were you a politician? Did you work for Trump? LOL

But I would have said "You dont want me getting hurt or crushed trying to level the RV honey... do you?"
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote