Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34J Hurricane
State: Texas
THOR #3393
Hello From San Antonio, Tx

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are brand new to the Motorhome life. We had a 31 BH that we traded on the 2016 Thor 34J Hurricane. Have not used it yet, but we are looking forward to it. Just got a Toad and now I am trying to figure out who to get to install the tow system that we need. Is there a certain brand that we should look for as far as the base, tow bar, wiring and brakes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:45 PM   #2

Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Talon1,

Not seeing a reply to your intro I'll "go out on a limb" and extend a generous welcome to the forum��

We are new to the forum too and just downsized from a 40 ft. 5th wheel to a 2016 Thor Synergy TT24 on Jan. 2, just a couple of days ago. I hope a few others chime in but in any case I hope you can enjoy that brand new rig.

Ed
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 AM   #3

Model: 34J Hurricane
State: Texas
THOR #3393
Thanks

Thanks Ed, I appreciate you taking the time to welcome me. So back at you and welcome to the forum. I see you purchased yours in N.C., I am originally from Fayetteville, left in 69 when I joined the Air Force and ended up staying in San Antonio. Anyway thanks again for the warm welcome. I hope that we enjoy it as much as we did the Lacrosse that we traded in on the Hurricane.

Dave
Old 01-05-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Welcome to the forum!
For towing, there is a section in the forum for 'Towing | Hitches and Toads' where you will find lots of info...
My experience (2014 32' Hurricane and Jeep Wrangler) - I looked at both Roadmaster and Blue Ox.. Think they are both good brands - in the end there was a significant price difference that got me to choose Roadmaster (between sale and CW discount on labor for Good Sams members).
I went with the All Terrain towbar (can connect/disconnect even if car and RV aren't straight and level), and Invisibrake (permanent resident in toad which activates the power brakes in toad).
It tows great... Notice the additional weight on acceleration and on hills - but the braking is no different - with Invisibrake handling the weight of the toad.
Was a one day install - dropped Jeep off the night before so they could start in the AM - and drove the MH down after lunch the next day to complete the setup... Towed the toad home that evening.
Not inexpensive... but towing a $40K car with a $100K MH - well... kinda puts it in perspective..