Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Agree with your points about the Ford Class C set up as far as maintenance... absolutely. The driving aspect was more important for us. We figured that if it wasn't comfortable to drive, it would not be a good trip. The $119k MSRP means pretty much nothing. For $5-$10k more, you can buy a 32' Tiffin Allegro (2018) in SoCal now.... I would suspect that a 24.1 Axis could be dealt down to around $70k or so (2018). Your comparison points are to be strongly considered when purchasing.
I agree. Comfort is key in any RV.

Plus You cant look at the sticker price on an RV. They are consistently purchased 30 - 40% off of the sticker.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
In a perfect world I think many buyers would want the best attributes of a Class A “and” a Class C. The combination of a large and open Class A cab plus the OEM design and build quality with automotive-style doors of a Class C would be hard to beat.

We can get close today, but still limited to a relatively small size.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #43

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
In a perfect world I think many buyers would want the best attributes of a Class A “and” a Class C. The combination of a large and open Class A cab plus the OEM design and build quality with automotive-style doors of a Class C would be hard to beat.

We can get close today, but still limited to a relatively small size.

I haven’t shopped any of them but I wonder if the so called “super C’s” would fill this need. As I understand it these are C’s built on a stripped work truck chassis. This would give the front engine, Ford cab with no dog house and the greater load capacity.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #44

THOR #12231
Yes, you have a point on the larger cockpit area but I think most of us that purchase the RUV's want a small RV to begin with.

The Super C would be much longer and wider and taller. I would not be intrested in anything like that unless I was using it 6 mo or more out of the year.

I love the size of my Axis. Just the right size for me and my wife (and sometimes my mom) right now.

But when I retire (10 + years from now) I think I will step up to something a little larger. Like a 30 - 33 foot A class (most likely Gas).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 10-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #45

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I haven’t shopped any of them but I wonder if the so called “super C’s” would fill this need. As I understand it these are C’s built on a stripped work truck chassis. This would give the front engine, Ford cab with no dog house and the greater load capacity.

A Super-C is not exactly what I was thinking of. To me the main functional difference between a Super C (like Ford F-550) and a common “regular” C (like Ford E-450) is larger size and available Diesel engine. Other disadvantages compared to a traditional Class A remain for the most part. The cab to me doesn’t seem any more open than a regular C, and in some ways it’s worse due to lower seating position. Getting in and out of cab to coach is often no better even without the doghouse. Additionally, the coach floor is often much higher than the cab floor, so visibility to the front for those seating in back can be obstructed. Granted, some larger truck chassis are more open than the Ford F-550, but that’s going in the wrong direction for those trying to downsize.

I think Super Cs are great for those looking at 30~35 foot or larger Cutaways, but don’t have a role in the RUV-size segment.

When I said we are close today, I was thinking more in terms of a “micro-size” Class A limited to 21~24 feet based on Mercedes, Ford, or RAM large Euro vans. That’s the only option I’m aware of that combines the attributes of a “C” with the full-width and open cab of an “A”. While camper van growth rate has been extremely successful in past 5 years or so, I think it will level off because they are still too small for too many buyers. Without even larger vans I’m not sure sales growth will continue.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #46

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yes, you have a point on the larger cockpit area but I think most of us that purchase the RUV's want a small RV to begin with.

The Super C would be much longer and wider and taller. I would not be intrested in anything like that unless I was using it 6 mo or more out of the year.

I love the size of my Axis. Just the right size for me and my wife (and sometimes my mom) right now.

But when I retire (10 + years from now) I think I will step up to something a little larger. Like a 30 - 33 foot A class (most likely Gas).
Like you, I thought I would eventually trade up to an F53 chassis after putting 70,000 + miles on a Class B, Class C and Vegas and traveling in the Vegas for 2-4 months at a time. My wife and I looked at every 30’ F53 bases based RV out there with the cash in our pocket to buy one and finally bought a new Axis. I have not ever wished that I bought a bigger one. We were in a state park in NJ last month and the Axis fit right in their narrow driveways. I helped a small F53 “shoehorn” in his rig and was once again glad I stuck with the Axis. For us 2, it has been perfect.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #47

THOR #12231
yeah I really like the size of our Axis. Plus I think it looks cool.

But its whatever make you happy since its your money your spending.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #48

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #7640
I like the size of my 24.1 Axis. Most of the time it is just me and my cat. It fits well in my back yard. I am going to put a steering stabilizer on it soon. I'm am satisfied with it.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #49

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Ya he's a salesman. I have an ACE 27.2 and it rides fine but not like a car. First, you have 75-80 lbs in the tires so when you hit the so well engineered bridges on interstates....you know, th eone where the bridges are about 3 inches off the level, it's a hard hit. It handles well with 75 front and 80 rear but there is no way you will get a great ride unless you get a big, expensive diesel with air shocks adn a quarter of a mill at least. Not doing that so go with a mediocre ride, noises etc....it's RVing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDoherty View Post
A salesman told me it drives like a car??????
Old 11-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #50

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I agree. Comfort is key in any RV.

Plus You cant look at the sticker price on an RV. They are consistently purchased 30 - 40% off of the sticker.
30 to 40 off? Maybe more like 20 tops
Old 11-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #51

THOR #9033
Had a C and didn't have enough space. Slide out in the bedroom but nothing in th eliving area. GOt an ACE 27.2 and have 2 slides....one in th eliving area and that 2+ feet makes all the difference. Would like a little more room in the bathroom but it's ok. Of course, the 27.2 is actually just shy of 29.

Quote:
Why did you chose a mini Class A over a full size?
I am on the brink of buying a 28' to 30' and need someone to point out what advantages/disadvantages there are!! How do the Axis/Vegas handle the road on much smaller tires??
Is it a concern at all??
Old 11-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #52

State: Kentucky
THOR #9694
We love the size of our Axis 24.1 We stay in state and national park campgrounds often and have easy access. The built in steps are nice and the floor height makes for easy in and out. It is also nice size for gas stations and finding parking places. It is not too big and not too small.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #53

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #10717
I have not driven anything larger than our 24.1 but I imagine our RV accelerates better since it's lighter than I bigger one. That was one of the factors that I considered since it makes it easier to merge onto the highway
Old 11-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #54

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Arizona
THOR #4510
RUVS fill an important niche in the RV world.

The RUVs do not drive like a car but rather like a large van because that's essentially what they are. Our 25.2 has a longer chassis than stock E450 vans do but that gives us a better ride and less overhang in the back. The proof of drivability is that my wife, who has owned three VW camper vans through the years, insists on doing 2/3 of the driving. We have put 30,000 miles on our Thor Vegas in a year and a half.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #55

State: North Carolina
THOR #1526
Been an Axis 24.1 owner since they first came out (2015). We've had a 35' Class A and a 23' Class C - this meets all our needs but we did make some changes for comfort and convenience. Replaced standard mattresses with Serta Pillow-Tops; Replaced Shower track with the Rod that adds needed space; Removed Sofa-Bed and replaced with Recliners; Added leveling jacks; added front steering stabilizer; added rear air bags. Our unit drives great - not a bad ride and all - fairly smooth and relatively quiet.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #56

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
30 to 40 off? Maybe more like 20 tops
Nope, If you look at CW and some other RV dealers they advertised 30 - 35% off all the time. Mine was "On sale" for 25% sticker but I knew I could get more. I ended up with 35% off of sticker and a free 39 inch smart TV, full tank of fuel.

Low ball them (45% off). Once your in a dealership they dont want to loose you. Be prepared to walk away and tell them you will think about it. I did that twice! They didnt want to loose me.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: we settled in on $35K off, when we bought the Outlaw.
It was a pretty nice rig, but it lacked outside storage.
Our new Class C is only 25 feet long; but it has triple the storage outside!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #58

State: Ontario
THOR #13564
Axis vs Vegas What's the Difference

I cannot see any differences!!
Videos are no help or spec sheets.
Looking at 27.7
Thanks for all you input
Old 11-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #59
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
I cannot see any differences!!
Videos are no help or spec sheets.
Looking at 27.7
Thanks for all you input
The only difference is color selection and the front end configuration. They are siblings.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #60

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #7188
Investigate both Subjective and objective choices

When we picked out our RV, we started with one subjective criteria:
we wanted the smallest RV that we could live in for three weeks.

The first step was to rent a motorhome for a one-week trip. It was a class C and we were not thrilled with it, but the experience refined what we wanted in a purchase.

So we looked at a lot of class Bs. As soon as we stepped into one, our first impression was "one week tops!" Then we tried the smaller class Cs similar to the one we rented. Again, too small for more than a week. The big class Cs were just too big. As soon as we stepped into a Vegas, we knew it was a "three week-er," but not all that big. The full size cab really sold us that we could have the perception of adequate interior space without a monster rig. After that, what remained were the objective choices of floor plans, Axis vs Vegas, dealers, options, colors, and so on.

Which is the right one? Go sit in a variety of coaches - you will know which one to choose. After that, it is all objective detail. We really like our Vegas 24.1, warts and all!