Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2016, 09:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31J
State: Alaska
THOR #6024
RV Advice Considering 2015 A.C.E 30.2 BUNKHOUSE or 2011 HURRICANE 31J

Greetings All

Glad to be part of this forum. My Family and I (Mrs. and 5 rugrats) are in the market to purchase an RV. We have been doing research over the last four months on just about any and every RV from class A-C out there. Based on price and the needs of our family we have narrowed it down to the A.C.E. 30.2 bunkhouse or the Hurricane 31J. I have a few concerns the first is this will be our first RV purchase (so I would be lying to say I'm very excited but nervous/cautious at the same time); I want to ensure that we are getting a good product for the money we are about to spend, and two I have seen and heard that Thor has not been getting good reviews for their RVs, based on what I have saw in some of the blogs/forums there seems to be mixed reviews. I just want to make sure that we when we buy we will get the full use and have great memories with our RV and are not left with heartache and a lot of frustration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 AM   #2

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
We have a 2014 30.2 Bunkhouse. This unit is designed, as far as I'm concerned, for first time motor home purchasers. That being said, don't expect great quality control. You'll find the front windows may rattle. One of the front overhead speakers will be covered up when the slide-out is in. This means you'll only have one speaker while driving. You may experience difficulties flushing the toilet. I could go on, but if you'd like more info. send me a private message. On a positive note we did go from Michigan to Fairbanks, Alaska and back with no serious issues.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
If buying new, the largest factors that seem to drive 'happiness' with the RV later have been:
  • The DEALER... They are the ones that review/prep the RV for you and the ones you will be dealing with for any warranty work - and can make or break your experience with the process.
  • The INSPECTION... Not signing the papers and paying the money until everything has been checked out and is working to your satisfaction.
  • The FLOORPLAN... that meets your needs... No right/wrong here - just preferences...
All RV's (any manufacturer) will have issues - regardless of the price... Catching all you can up front - and having a dealer that cares about customer service - make all the difference...

If buying used - the dealer is probably less important - as you won't have warranty work... Any extended service plans allow you to choose where you go... The inspection is still critical.
(BUT.. I was quite fortunate in 2 used purchases from 2 different dealers - and compared to stories I have seen here... both had issues I didn't find until I got home - and both were promptly and completely taken care of by the dealer at no expense to me...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote