Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2019, 12:53 AM   #61

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
Going to Canada with guns.

Don't even think about it, and don't think you can sneak through. If you have a CPL the Canadians know about it. A few years ago we went to Alaska, when we crossed into Canada they searched the truck and trailer, then proceeded to ask why we had been finger printed. They already knew why, we had CPL's, and they asked where our guns were. We told them we left them home because we knew they were not welcome in Canada. He asked if we felt safer in Canada and we said no, don't think he liked that.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
If you are an NRA member they are an excellent resource for all things firearm-legally related. They are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Just give them a call.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #63

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
[QUOTE=Jeg;214927crazy question:
what if you already have a concealed weapons permit from my hillbilly state here in WV., will not the border patrol take this in consideration..[/QUOTE]

I carry in 38 states legally and hubby is retired law-enforcement with badge, so he is good in all 50. Nope...no carrying into Canada. I did get the forms, but I really doubt Canada will approve anything, so I'm not trying. We had wanted to visit Niagras north side, but were not sure what to do with our weapons. I even considered a plastic bag dangling in the stinky compartment, or just renting a safety deposit box at a bank near the border, or a rental locker... But then we would have to return by the same route to collect our possessions. Best to just not try the border crossing.
As an after thought, what if one were to only be gone a day or a few...? You could UPS out and recieve at the same UPS facility on the US side! Just spit-ballin'.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #64

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
...The majority of people travel without guns and the majority of travelers are safe. I have for years and years. Funny how some "religious" people pray to God for protection and saftey and then carry firearms. Kinda like they don't trust the power of prayer and the Omnipotent One
In our travels, and they've really only just begun, we've found the vast majority of RVers DO carry protection. And, there is no mystery nor humor involved in religious and faithful people praying to God for protection while yet realizing we live in a sinful world where bad things happen. Why else would cops carry a weapon!? If my God didn't intend for me to be able to protect myself against bad people, He wouldnt have enabled me to ball my hands into fists.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Old 12-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #65

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The National Reciprocity Act of 2017 gives you very liberal rights across America...if you have or qualify for a Carry Permit in your home state...but, as WearyTraveler stated...you better read up on the individual laws (similar to speed traps) of the state(s) you will travel.
The National Reciprocity Act of 2017 never passed. It went through the House but never made i through the Senate. So don't base anything on that.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #66
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
The National Reciprocity Act of 2017 never passed. It went through the House but never made i through the Senate. So don't base anything on that.
Agreed... it ain't the Law of the Land until it makes it through both bodies...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:17 AM   #67

State: Florida
THOR #2828
Send a message via Yahoo to Hanford Brace
If you attempt to cross with guns you better plan to have everything including the motorhome seized and all passengers into jail. I lived in Calais and new some border guards. They will not let you travel in Canada with weapons. Best thing to do is store them somewhere near by and retrieve them when back in the states.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #68
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanford Brace View Post
If you attempt to cross with guns you better plan to have everything including the motorhome seized and all passengers into jail. I lived in Calais and new some border guards. They will not let you travel in Canada with weapons. Best thing to do is store them somewhere near by and retrieve them when back in the states.
I love when folks speak in broad generalizations, and forecast the end of life as we know ir...
You certainly CAN bring certain classes of firearms into Canada... for certain activities...
If you try to bring in one that is prohibited; or you haven't completed the paperwork to their satisfaction: that's when things get a bit... sticky!
Old 12-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #69

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Why don't someone up near the border just load up and make a run...then you can give us an updated, accurate report.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #70
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do you think that we should take up a collection for Bail money?
(I'm six hours away... Thankfully! )
Old 12-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #71

THOR #11130
Not necessary...if they report back...all is good. If we never hear from them again...there you have it.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #72
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... And you even managed to save us some money!
Old 12-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #73

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Manitoba
THOR #348
In the words of song sung by J R Cash:
"Don't take your guns to town Son
Leave your guns at home Bill
Don't take your guns to town."
We don't need more guns in Canada.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #74

Model: 28z
State: Idaho
THOR #1797
hand guns

live about a hundred miles from the border. The officer at the border don't take jokes and is in total control. They have a thing about hand guns, I think they get a bonus if they find one.
Do not cross with a NRA sticker, Do not tell them that you have a permit to carry, Do not have ammo or any parts of a gun any of these will get a search of your rig maybe for hours as you set in a cold room then asked questions like have you ever carried a gun in your rig and so on. would liked of tell him that no it walked home from the store, but he was in control. Not only guns but anything that can be use as a weapon large knife's, pepper spray.

If you want to carry long guns you should have a reason as for hunting or going to Alaska, Person protection is not a reason. Read the there laws, the shortest barrel for a shotgun is 18 1/2 inch, I have a 18 and have not hat the courage to test them. As they do not take jokes and I do not want to lose my shotgun.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:29 PM   #75

THOR #11130
All these reasons and a few more why they miss out on so many American Dollars! That's why we don't go there.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:26 AM   #76

Brand: DRV
State: Texas
THOR #9543
I have read many posts advising not to attempt to take guns across the border. DUH!!! No; that sounds like smuggling and you will probably go to jail. LEGALLY; get the required paperwork and take the time to process through the border. Using word like ‘attempt’ (to me), sounds like showing up at the border and trying to hide something.
2017 36RSSB3--2012 F350 KR, LWB, SRW, bilsteins, 1 1/4" anti sway bar, bilstein steering stabilizer, airlift air bags, on board wireless compressor, 295/20 tires at 4080 pounds each, oversized finned aluminum diff and trannie pans, all synthetic fluids; KEM, Tyrant, and PIP tunes with SCT X4 programming, G37 2017 Turbo, ATS Stage I towing transmission and torque convertor, Edge CTS gauge monitoring.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 AM   #77

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
my question is HOW do canadian border patrol know if you have been fingerprinted???
and second its not their business.

i have been fingerprinted for job requirements for first job 22 years

not to mention freaking dna crap on file, so if i murder someone i better not leave a trace of anything

IMO if canada has issue with stickers i may or may not have on vehicle, that is funny

and FP for current licenses. and one ugly terrorist looking picture on my ID.

i practice the IN PLAIN SIGHT RULE.

my "stuff" gives no indication what i may or may not have or be affiliated with, except my american flag in the rear window and my disabled veteran plates. which by some on the left deems me as a terrorist.

i have a few states i refuse to transit plus canada. when we go to alaska we fly up and stay with friends to go hunt or fish
Old 12-22-2019, 05:48 AM   #78

THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
I have read many posts advising not to attempt to take guns across the border. DUH!!! No; that sounds like smuggling and you will probably go to jail. LEGALLY; get the required paperwork and take the time to process through the border. Using word like ‘attempt’ (to me), sounds like showing up at the border and trying to hide something.
Here is the [original] message that has just been posted:
I have read many posts advising not to attempt to take guns across the border. DUH!!! No; that sounds like smuggling and you will probably go to jail. LEGALLY; get the required paperwork and take the time to process through the border. Using word like ‘attempt’ (to me), sounds like showing up at the border and trying to hide something. Some of you really sound like idiots.

I'm so happy you decided to edit your post but the 'idiots comment' did get through in our emails. Just like most all the answers in this thread state... If you do the wrong thing, you'll probably get caught.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad