Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #5986
Shopping for my first RV

Hi - I'm new to the forum and new to RVing. I'm a single woman about to retire and am looking forward to hitting the road. I've been researching RV options and think that the Thor Gemini/Compass or the Axis/Vegas are the right choice for me. Haven't been looking yet as I still have a bit to go before I can stop working and am enjoying the hunt for the perfect RV.

Thanks for all the wonderful information I've picked up in the forum. Still working on some of the lingo but I'll get there eventually!

Old 12-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you are looking at Axis/Vegas units you'd be wise to pick up Ed's crowd sourced owner's manual (found here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html ). That will give you more information about them than anything else you can find on the internet! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Don't know your previous experience with RV's and/or camping....

but generally, I feel that I benefited from
- spending a lot of times reading and participating in forums like this
- doing a lot of window shopping.... visiting dealers & RV shows and looking, going in, looking and "feeling" various floor plans

About forums, shopping before I bought our popup camper was when I first found this idea of forums. I started spending a lot of time at one dedicated to pupups. Continued all of these years, as I progressed to trading up to the motorhome we have today. really helped much more than just visiting dealerships.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

THOR #5986
Thanks. That will be really helpful!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
I also recommend renting an RV or two. You will quickly figure out what you like/ don't like (i.e. corner beds for me).
Old 12-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #6

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Renting is a good idea... and stay small - at least initially. My wife and I bought our first RV just before retirement and have purchased three more over the past 10 years. We stared out with a 20' class B, moved to a 22' Class C and then to the Vegas/Axis. Starting with a van made the initial driving experience very easy and each small upgrade was easy too. I firmly believe that the smallest RV that meets your needs is the best. Easier to purchase, maintain and use. And you will end up using it more. Good luck and have fun! It is a great lifestyle and you will meet some wonderful people.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Best of luck on your search. The biggest shock for me was the dealership service paradigm. With cars, any dealer will service your vehicle. With RVs, this is not true. Only the selling dealer is under any obligation to service your RV for warranty claims. I found this out the hard way. My selling dealer is a 6 hour drive away from me. The local dealer wanted $13K more and wouldn't budge.

Watch O.

On the other hand, buying my RV was the most fun thing that I have ever done. Make sure you are handy. I always say that owning an RV is like being a Boy Scout. One day you get your fiberglass badge. The next day you get your electric badge. The next day....

Good luck
Old 12-15-2016, 10:40 PM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
[I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
...On the other hand, buying my RV was the most fun thing that I have ever done. Make sure you are handy. I always say that owning an RV is like being a Boy Scout. One day you get your fiberglass badge. The next day you get your electric badge. The next day....
Good luck
/I]

You're showing the difference between BUYING and RV, and being SOLD one. There are a few folks on this forum and all the others that agree with this video. While I can't argue with his logic about quality control and dealer apathy, my experiences with the 5 RVs I have owned haven't been anything like this.

There certainly are RV problems like the video guy said, and it is always "buyer beware" but what I've seen and heard says it is the exception, rather than the rule. We hear horror stories about sticks and bricks homes, too.

So, CarolA1, educate yourself on forums like this. We have met many single gals that love RVing. Suggest you check out rvingwomen and lonersonwheels.com Welcome to the forum!