Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Introduce Yourself | Say Hello
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Poll Results: Class C Or Class A and why
Class A Thor ace 30.1 2 66.67%
Class C Thor 31l chateau 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Delaware
THOR #5595
Thinking of buying a 2017 Thor Chateau 31w

Hi, We are looking at large C class. We really like the thor chateau 31w.
We have seen some of the reviews on the 2016's and back and they are making us have second thoughts. We will be basically living in it for about 6 months out of the year. We have 3 dogs. An English bulldog and two Havanese. We need the room. We were thinking of an A class but thought a C Class would be easier to drive. Our only experience is with pull trailers. Please, I would appreciate your thoughts on the thor class c but also on the A class. If their is a different manufacturer you prefer let us know. All thought and Ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks, George

Old 10-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #2

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Hey Havanese!
We looked at ALL the Thor C's......researched etc for 2 years......we narrowed down to fit and finish......we bought at a great deal and great service support center a Thor,super c full body paint 35sf.......not one regret. The diesel with the optional 10000 tow,the carry weight,the room to live and breathe,storage,finishes....All great. The Chateaus are a bit less to purchase but in the scope of "payments" not much for the difference. If you are going to be traveling/living it your rv that much you need room and some comfort and piece of mind re durability and strength, and it drives like a dream....is easy transition from hauling trailers,so did we. We had originally thought 5th wheel but wow,so glad we stayed class c.......
Old 10-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
We have a 2016 31W and pretty much love it but the next one will be a 35sd super C. It's as much a space thing as a diesel thing. We had a F250 diesel pulling a 5th wheel before our 31W and miss the power. Otherwise for the money our 31W is a great rig, you auto level it and put out the slide and your done. My wife's parents don't even have their truck off their 5th wheel and we are in our lawn chairs. We pull a Ford Focus and the mileage is about 8 mpg. The V10 seems to have enough power, as I get on it a lot and it gets up to speed pretty quickly.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

THOR #5031
Love our 2016 31W

Bought our 31W in May of this year. Some minor fixits, still waiting on dealer to call us when parts are in, but overall we love it. The residential refrigerator is huge and holds a lot. Learning curve on the inverter and its use was a bit challenging, knowing how much it draws before you need to recharge battery. Handles nice and has oh so much storage. Just wish there were a little bit more room in the back bedroom for dressing. We did have the entertainment center removed and changed into the overheard sleeping area. They did a great job on that.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
My good friends have a 31 and love it, had a few minor problems like every other coach on the market but nothing serious. Do a good walk thru before delivery and test EVERYTHING! Based on the experience of my friends I would recommend a 31 if it has a floor plan you like.

Wish you the best in whatever you decide!
Old 10-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #6

THOR #5595
Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me everyone. Our other thought is the Thor ace 30.1 Class A. This is a big decision and I want to be sure I make the right one. We will be retiring in 3 years and I am planning ahead. You guys are great!
Old 10-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
After looking at the 31w we opted for the 31L. There is a step down in the 31W and we tripped or stumbled on it about six times each while looking at the unit. Other than that we really liked it. Ours is on the same chassis and have not had anything other than a few minor issues.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
I have the 31E. We love it. Super simple set up. Few minor fix its so far.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
We love the class c because it is just like driving SUV. I like the sun visor effect of the overhang, and the fact you can just open the door and get out instead of climbing out through the side door. At rest stops and gas stations it is so much more convenient. As for the step going to the bedroom we got used to that almost right away. It is such a great floorplan. Res fridge is also the greatest. We used to struggle to get everything in a regular camper fridge, I thought it was the coolest when I put a whole cube of soda on the bottom shelf and still got a couple of gallons of milk on the same shelf.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #10
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havanese2 View Post
...We were thinking of an A class but thought a C Class would be easier to drive. Our only experience is with pull trailers. Please, I would appreciate your thoughts on the thor class c but also on the A class. If their is a different manufacturer you prefer let us know. All thought and Ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks, George
George,
My recommendation would be to go drive one of each (A and C) in the size range you want... We originally went shopping for a C - but after test driving the A, never looked back. At 31 and 33 feet (the two we have owned), I find the A to be very maneuverable with the front wheels right under the front seats.

Everyone has their own preference - no substitute for figuring out yours with a drive.

Many floorplans available in each type - to find something that works for your lifestyle.

Greg
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #11

THOR #5595
Hey Greg, Thanks very much for you input. We are going to test drive one of each tomorrow. Can't wait.